DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Subwoofer Hook UP

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black Sapphire 2004 5.30i

Hey guys..

I have a sub in the back of my car....we hooked it up by connecting an RCA adapter into the speaker lines and then the amp into the RCA adapter...

The RCA Adapter I got came with two little dials (i believe one may be red and black but i could be making that up)...but i was wondering what these things were for?

I've had my sub in for a while now and it sounds fine...but i just remembered these dials and wondered if they did anything? or could possibly affect other parts of the sound system?

thanks for any help
Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

I think its to fine tunes your line out conversion sound, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Maybe some one else can chime in to inform you on this. GL!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by slm6715' post='1011371' date='Sep 18 2009, 07:31 PM
Hey guys..

I have a sub in the back of my car....we hooked it up by connecting an RCA adapter into the speaker lines and then the amp into the RCA adapter...

The RCA Adapter I got came with two little dials (i believe one may be red and black but i could be making that up)...but i was wondering what these things were for?

I've had my sub in for a while now and it sounds fine...but i just remembered these dials and wondered if they did anything? or could possibly affect other parts of the sound system?

thanks for any help

The dials are to adjust the throughput of the input signal. If the speaker-level input is coming from say a 100 watt/channel input for example, the dials will adjust how much to pass through. When turned all the way to the left (counterclockwise) and the source unit is cranked all the way up, maybe only 10 watts will pass through. When turning the dial all the way to the right (clockwise) with the source unit cranked all the way up, the full 100 watt signal will pass through.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 06' Black Saphire 530i, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg with heated rear seats, Power sunshade, Logic 7 w/CD Changer, PDC, Fold down rear seats Mods* 19" Beyern Mesh wheels with Goodyear F1 pro A/S tires

Originally Posted by corey' post='1012696' date='Sep 21 2009, 08:21 AM
The dials are to adjust the throughput of the input signal. If the speaker-level input is coming from say a 100 watt/channel input for example, the dials will adjust how much to pass through. When turned all the way to the left (counterclockwise) and the source unit is cranked all the way up, maybe only 10 watts will pass through. When turning the dial all the way to the right (clockwise) with the source unit cranked all the way up, the full 100 watt signal will pass through.

They are voltage gain dials, they are supposed to be used to match the voltage entering your adaptor with the voltage that is on the speaker line so the voltage leaving the rca adapters is as even as possible. While turning the gain dials "up" does mean you get "louder" sound, if its not matched well, it also means you your oversaturating your inputs on your amp, causing distortion, and in the worst case blowing the input section out.

You can use a voltmeter on the rca outputs to see if the voltage range is correctly matching what your amp allows for input.