DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Steering wheel misalignment after dead battery - Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 08:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Default Steering wheel misalignment after dead battery - Fix

Hey Guys, I wanted to share my experience with you on the active steering calibration in case it helps anyone else.

I have had the battery go dead a few times over the years from leaving the headlights in manual ON position (who would suspect a car with such an advanced electrical system would allow this, but that's another topic).
Depending on the steering wheel position when the car is jumped and started, it may end up with bad angle calibration values in the active steering controller.
-With a large angle on the wheel when started, it'll know and automatically do a re-cal when you start driving. When I first experienced this the dash and CCC warnings came up and it seemed crazy as the angle I held the wheel to drive straight changed by 50 degrees or more as the car was moving, but after completion everything was aligned.
-With a small angle (< 20 degrees or so) the system doesn't realize it is misaligned, no errors come on, and te car and may drive straight and true but with the steering wheel rotated a bit left or right.
To fix this condition, you can connect INPA, choose chassis, active front steering, activate, and then program invalid value, I think it's F3. it will ask to confirm, hit F1. This invalid offset value causes the system to start a recalibration procedure when you drive next, and after it's done re-calibrating, at least for me, it's good to go and the steering wheel angle sensor was aligned at 0 degrees center with the steering motor at 0 and straight driving. You'll want to ensure your tires are evenly inflated as it uses ABS sensors to judge even wheel speed during cal to judge when the car is rolling straight.

I see there have been quite a few posts on calibration but never saw this state or fix described, hope it helps someone.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Thanks for taking the time to post this!