DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Springs on a 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i loaded!

Anything i should know before i start tackling this? Anyone got the BMW service directions for changing shocks/springs? I have all the right tools and i did it on my wife's vw golf i put koni/HR springs springs on so i don't think this will be much different.

While i have the car apart should i do anything else down there? it has 60k and drives pretty good i was debating on doing the breaks early so i don't have to change the sensors too.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Beware of the HID leveling sensor that is attached to the control arm (front and back right)
This easily breaks and it's pretty pricey

If you decide to loosen the control arm bolts to the frame to release the control arm resistance to make it easier pushing the hub down to make clearance for the strut.
Make sure when you tighten those bolts back, the suspension need to be loaded (tires on the ground) to avoid accelerated wear on your control arm bushing.

I'd get 4 ramps so that you can slide under the car to tighten those bolts.

For the rear, the suspension will seem too long to slide out w/o pushing the hub down all the way unless you have a 300lbs friend to step on the hub. One trick is to remove the rubber "coating" on the wheel well which is usually stuck on the top mount when you try to remove it.

Other than those, they are pretty straight forward

The BMW TIS isn't that helpful at all.
The best instruction I found is the Bentley Manual that I bought recently but it's pretty straight forward if you've done DIY on other car before:
Check my thread last time:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/589..._fromsearch__1

And also M5 board thread for some pics:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...t-springs.html

Good luck on the install
Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributors

cool thanks for the bit on the HID sensors.

Next question (i think i should have asked this before i bought sport springs) Will the sport springs fit in my Bilstein SP Struts? One indy shop told me that sometimes the struts won't be long enough???? I guess i will find out on the first one right! The best price i got from an indy shop was for 500 for just the fonts! I miss Burts Motorwerks in SA they always hooked me up

I think i am going to do this monday wish me luck. Anyone near me have a bently manual or want to come by and help me? I'll buy cold ones and pizza....
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Defy
cool thanks for the bit on the HID sensors.

Next question (i think i should have asked this before i bought sport springs) Will the sport springs fit in my Bilstein SP Struts? One indy shop told me that sometimes the struts won't be long enough???? I guess i will find out on the first one right! The best price i got from an indy shop was for 500 for just the fonts! I miss Burts Motorwerks in SA they always hooked me up

I think i am going to do this monday wish me luck. Anyone near me have a bently manual or want to come by and help me? I'll buy cold ones and pizza....
Try your friendly area BMW dealer for a quote on the install of the springs. I was actually shocked that they only charged 3 hours of labor for the front and the rear install of H&R sport springs when I inquired about installing springs on my 5er(like 430 with tax).

Definitely better than 500 just for the front, and you have piece of mind that if anything fucks up, they will take care of it.

Good luck if you try to tackle it yourself.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

I just called Bilstein NA Tech Support.

They said SP can be installed in any E60 (not confirmed w/ Xi) both non sport and sport package E60.

They said the main diff b/ HD and SP is the valving and also the length of the strut.
It's true that the shaft length on SP maybe shorter than HD but it's not too short that spring won't fit.

I hope this sounds like a relieve.

I always thought that HD should be a "sportier" replacement for OEM non sport while the SP is "true sport" for OEM sport and lowered vehicle.

Found another link:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...p?subcat_id=83

Go down to E60 application, Turner notes that SP fits Sport/Lowered spring.

My gut feeling (not being bias I sold them to you) that they will fit OE Sport.
If you try to mate SP w/ non sport package spring then I would be worried.

I'll help you scan my Bentley manual and try to PDF the BMW TIS before next Monday for ya
Old 08-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

wow! Salaki you rock! Way above and beyond! I think there is another BMW dealer here that i can call. The first dealer i called quoted est. 800 and that was if they didn't have problems

Edit: Ouch! the other BMW dealer wants 1141 for just labor!!!!!!! I think i have a new calling i need to become a BMW mech!

Now i am curious i should call down to cincy and see what they charge.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

You sound like a mechanically inclined individual and, you've done some suspension work before. So this shouldn't be too difficult. Honestly, replacing the springs and shocks on our 5er ain't that hard. Like salaki said, just make sure you have the sensor out of the way ( just unclip from the arms or whatever post they're on). Everything else is basically straightforward. Plan on using a lot of "elbow grease," sweat and your weight (or that of a big friend) and the job is doable, even by yourself.

I replaced my sport suspension all by myself. I replaced the springs with Eibach and the shocks with Bilstein Sports (love mine). Granted, it took about a whole days work only because I initially wasn't familiar with the set-up and, I took my time. As soon as I completed one side the other side I did much faster. The rears will be a little more difficult only because the length of it is much taller than the front. Just make sure you wrap the top part of your shocks with a thick rag when installing to avoid hitting your fenders and nicking the paint ouch!

You can do it and good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Contributors

yeah i'm prett mech eppt. I found with shocks the hardest part is taking the knuckle off the bottom of the shock/strut. But i found that with a ball joint spreader you can wedge it in there perfectly!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

Has anyone opbtained this set and installed them?

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp

Bav product Number: SK E605 608 BIL

Basically, its BAV's springs mated with the Bilstien Sports for $775.

Got a M-Sport 08 550 w/sport suspension. Looks like a fair price, but wanted some feedback before I pulled the trigger on them.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

I never tried or came across anyone w/ Bavarian's springs but those are great deals for sure considering Bilstein SP is around $ 612 a set shipped.

Check w/ Bavarian to find out more about their spring more.
Ask them how does it compare to OEM Non Sport and OEM Sport Suspension and other brands (like Eibach Sportline/H&R Sport)

I was just wondering if Bavarian's springs are actually a re badged Eibach/H&R w/ similar spec but marketed as Bavarian spring.

Quick Reply: Springs on a 545i