DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

spring install update

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i automatic, Active steering, sport package, Sirius,Active head lights, black on black, Maya DTR 20x9"frnt 20x10"rear wheels polished- 245/30-20 frt 274/25-20 rear. comming soon= H&R sports line spring or better. window tint and hp tune if out there

O.K, 11 hour dealer install? B.S., Just installed the rear Bovarian springs. Only took 1.5 hours. Saturday morning will install the fronts. Will post time. I am from the corvette forum, where, when we do an install we let others know "how to". Is there a how to section here? If not maybe we should start one. By the way the springs look great on the car, just the right look and the ride is just as stock. So the comment from the replyer " Isint lower and comfort an OXYMORON" is , well, :thumbsdown: there is a spring out there that lowers the car well and leaves the ride intacked. Do alot of research then state the facts . I will let you all know how the install in the front goes and post the time/ride comfort.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by rarfinancial' post='209458' date='Dec 10 2005, 12:43 AM
O.K, 11 hour dealer install? B.S., Just installed the rear Bovarian springs. Only took 1.5 hours. Saturday morning will install the fronts. Will post time. I am from the corvette forum, where, when we do an install we let others know "how to". Is there a how to section here? If not maybe we should start one. By the way the springs look great on the car, just the right look and the ride is just as stock. So the comment from the replyer " Isint lower and comfort an OXYMORON" is , well, :thumbsdown: there is a spring out there that lowers the car well and leaves the ride intacked. Do alot of research then state the facts . I will let you all know how the install in the front goes and post the time/ride comfort.
Sounds like this is a continuation from another thread, which I missed but you can have shorter springs with a lower ride and a similarly comfortable ride. Most springs are single rate and are made with a uniform diameter coil which gives the most linear rate throughout the springs range of motion. Better and more costly coils mix a thinner diameter coil diameter with a thicker diameter coil. The thinner diameter portion gives a softer ride through the initial range of motion, which is smoother for smaller bumps. When you hit a larger bump it first compresses the thinner portion of the coil and then compresses the thicker portion of the coil. I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the same goal too.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Members

pictures please
Old 12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rarfinancial' post='209458' date='Dec 10 2005, 12:43 AM

there is a do it yourself (DIY) forum - just go to the forum index page
Old 12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

Hmmm....i am no expert on this topic but doesnt JUST installing springs only damage the suspension?? I was adviced against putting springs only because it could damage the suspension and was told that I should buy a coilover suspension setup that costs $1300-1500.....
Any comments on this issue?? I would love to lower my car by just putting springs on since its cheap and would enhance my car's looks
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i automatic, Active steering, sport package, Sirius,Active head lights, black on black, Maya DTR 20x9"frnt 20x10"rear wheels polished- 245/30-20 frt 274/25-20 rear. comming soon= H&R sports line spring or better. window tint and hp tune if out there

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='210193' date='Dec 12 2005, 02:32 AM
Hmmm....i am no expert on this topic but doesnt JUST installing springs only damage the suspension?? I was adviced against putting springs only because it could damage the suspension and was told that I should buy a coilover suspension setup that costs $1300-1500.....
Any comments on this issue?? I would love to lower my car by just putting springs on since its cheap and would enhance my car's looks
I called the dealer and asked the same question. They told me there was know problem just changing out the springs. I have sports package which is lower to start with. I run a Car Dealership and we have lowered a lot of cars with just the spring swap with no problems. Now if you want to realy slam the car, then yes you do need to change the shocks with shorter ones. By the way the total time to swap out the springs front and rear was onlyjust under three hours. Man , I sure am glad I did the install myself. I mean when the Dealer told me it was an 11 hour job I thought it was going to be one hard job. This instal was one of the easiest I've ever done. Springs used were Bovarian. I will post some pics soon. Car rides so smooth also.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='210193' date='Dec 11 2005, 11:32 PM

No - swapping out just the springs will not "damage" the suspension system, per se.

Rather, increasing/decreasing the spring rates with an aftermarket spring setup will tend to put more stress on the OEM shocks -- thus, wearing them out sooner than with the OEM springs.

It does not damage the shocks; rather, aftermarket springs will tend to wear out the OEM shocks faster thus forcing you to change them sooner.

This is why coilovers are recommended -- complete swap of both springs/shocks so that the rates all match and there is no issue with premature wear and tear.