DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

service light help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello, i am having a problem reseting the rear brake pad warning light via i drive, i follow the reset procedure ie

ignition on all lights dont start engine
press odo reset button 5 secs
light is showing for rear brake pads
press odo button again 5 secs
reset "yes"
press odo button again 5 secs

the three --- show in the display then it shows -16000 miles
i cannot get it to reset

if i move off the drive it changes to -11000 miles

attempted to reset again and it showed -16000 miles again

any ideas ????

i know i am not doing the procedure wrong because i have reset all the other service indicators i needed to change??

all help appreciated thanks

simon
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 AM
Members

Assuming you have changed the pads and the wear sensor (re-using old sensor will not work) then you can re-set any service indicator (also displayed on the i-drive) using the button on the instrument dash.
Hold down button for a few seconds until first indicator is shown. Press button once to cycle to the next indicator, it will display RESET.
Hold down the button for a few seconds to reset to the next inteval.

After a few seconds of not using the button, it will come out of the reset function.

EBC do make sensors cheaper than OEM. The rear one (although it says it's suitable for the E61) is much shorter than OEM as the routing on the E61 estate is much more convoluted than on the E60 saloon. It will just fit, but the rooting has to be changed to be more direct. You should keep an eye on any wear as it has to go infront of the suspension rather than along struts behind the suspension.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

sorted it now, i never bother refitting the wear indicators so just soldered the ends of the wires together, this provides a closed circuit fooling the ecu into thinking the pads are new, i regularly check the pads anyway so its just one less light to come on!!!

ps it took three attempts though to get it to reset, turn off take key out 2 or 3 times trying the reset procedure each time that should sort it.

simon