DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Service items missing from I-drive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

Hi All.
I also posted this in the E61 forum but unfortunately no replies yet
I was wondering if someone could help with the following:
I have a 525d touring from Nov-2005 and I recently changed the oil and Micro filters.
Next one up are the front brake pads according to Idrive and then a dealer generic Vehicle check.
Question I have is that yesterday I looked at my service booklet and I noticed that amongst the boxes that can be ticked are also other items which aren't displayed in Idrive like:
Diesel filter and Air filter. So my question is, when am I supposed to get these checked?
I thought Idrive would notify me once something is due however these 2 items for example aren't on there.
Thanks for any clarification
Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

As with any car,items such as Air Filter replacement are usually listed in the service schedules on a mileage/time basis,for example 36,000 miles or 3 years.
However,if the vehicle is used in a dry and dusty climate,more regular changes of air filter are recommended.It is necessary to inspect such items to determine whether they need changing or not.This is what DIY enthusiasts do !
The on-board computer cannot give you that information because such items cannot be monitored.
If you are not into DIY servicing on your car,you just have to trust your dealer,good look !
Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E61, Nov-2005. M-steering wheel +sport seats. Panoramic roof, Lighting package, Xenon, Adaptive headlights, Prof. navigation, CD changer, Voice control, Bluetooth, Heated seats, 128 alloys -18 inch, B&W Tuning (hounslow)

OK thanks
So is there anywhere where I can find the standard replacement intervals for the Diesel filter and Air Filter? I'm partial DIY and creative (meaning trying to avoid the BMW dealer where possible).
As I can reset the Idrive intervals myself (oil change etc etc) I'm basically replacing Microfilters myself and having oil changes done at the local garage. But as said how do I now know when I need replace the air filter (I assume I can do this myself) and the dieselfilter (Not sure yet how to do this)?

THanks!

Originally Posted by tooltec' post='964913' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:05 AM
As with any car,items such as Air Filter replacement are usually listed in the service schedules on a mileage/time basis,for example 36,000 miles or 3 years.
However,if the vehicle is used in a dry and dusty climate,more regular changes of air filter are recommended.It is necessary to inspect such items to determine whether they need changing or not.This is what DIY enthusiasts do !
The on-board computer cannot give you that information because such items cannot be monitored.
If you are not into DIY servicing on your car,you just have to trust your dealer,good look !
Old 08-04-2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Originally Posted by bertolli' post='964979' date='Aug 4 2009, 09:40 AM
OK thanks
So is there anywhere where I can find the standard replacement intervals for the Diesel filter and Air Filter? I'm partial DIY and creative (meaning trying to avoid the BMW dealer where possible).
As I can reset the Idrive intervals myself (oil change etc etc) I'm basically replacing Microfilters myself and having oil changes done at the local garage. But as said how do I now know when I need replace the air filter (I assume I can do this myself) and the dieselfilter (Not sure yet how to do this)?

THanks!
I'm sure your dealer can supply the information that you are looking for which is only a guide.Unfortunately,changing the air filter is more complicated on the 6 cylinder diesel than the petrol models.There is an excellent illustrated guide on the forums on how to do this .
On previous cars of mine (all petrol) suggested induction air filter renewal was in the range 30,000miles/3years to 60,000miles/5years,more often
in dusty conditions.It was an easy annual job to open a plastic lid,lift out the filter for inspection and if it looked OK, tap out the dust and put it back!
I always renewed mine at 3 years even though my mileage was lower.As for the fuel filter,suggested renewal was every 60,000miles (petrol) and every 30,000miles (diesel).
Anyway,as regards changing your air filter,member Hilden has a pdf document for download,you can find it at :-

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...rt=#entry933141
Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Bertolli,

When you change your microfilters (3 minute job) inspect the area for leaves, especially if you leave your car outside in the Autumn (or if it is new to you). Leaves will clog up the water drains under the microfilter housings, and even worse, they will fill your air filter box. I was shocked when I took mine apart last year, just how large a volume of leaves can be packed into the small space around the filter. Leave a couple of hours to do the air filter if you've never done it before as you have to take off a fair amount of plastic-ware. You'll even discover where Mr. BMW puts the brake fluid reservoir (eventually).

Mike
Old 08-05-2009, 06:47 AM
Members

Hi Mike
Thanks for your replies. I'll have a look at the service book to see how long it has been since air and diesel filters have been replaced. Based on that and the PDF link I'll check if this is something which I'm confident to do myself or not (likely not )
As for the microfilters. Thanks for the tip!