DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Serpentine Belt & Belt Tensioner replacement -- N62 (545i)

Old 04-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lcc014
This DYI video is not for N62 engine. It was supposed for M54 engine. However, when I did my M54 engine belts (serp. and AC), information from video was not 100% matched to what I saw during the replacement. You need to remove the fan assembly in one piece instead of the fan blade itself.
It's more of a basic understanding not to be exact.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Cwest
It's more of a basic understanding not to be exact.
Still, photos in this post for N62 is not the same as in video. Reader will be confused when trying to do the N62 belt change. BavaAuto should post another video for N62 engine. That one was too generic ..... even for M54 engine belts change.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

yeah FYI, N62 does not have an A/C belt tensioner, this is fastened to the main pulley with some special tool. I made a mistake and cut off my A/C belt, thinking it was easy to replace. NOPE, sure was wrong, I haven't had a chance to fabricate my own "special tool" to get the new one back on. EVERYONE, DO NOT CUT OFF YOUR A/C BELT, IT IS A B*TCH TO PUT BACK ON!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by ck-e60
yeah FYI, N62 does not have an A/C belt tensioner, this is fastened to the main pulley with some special tool. I made a mistake and cut off my A/C belt, thinking it was easy to replace. NOPE, sure was wrong, I haven't had a chance to fabricate my own "special tool" to get the new one back on. EVERYONE, DO NOT CUT OFF YOUR A/C BELT, IT IS A B*TCH TO PUT BACK ON!!!
someone on this forum made a tool out of a mini pipe cutter. was pretty cool.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Senior Members

Does anyone know how to loosen the tensioner after I loosened the bolt, the 16 mm in the diagram. I loosened the bolt more than halfway out but was not able to loosen the tensioner so I stopped because I didn't want all the parts to fly out if I keep untighten it, especially the spring.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Does anyone know how to loosen the tensioner after I loosened the bolt, the 16 mm in the diagram. I loosened the bolt more than halfway out but was not able to loosen the tensioner so I stopped because I didn't want all the parts to fly out if I keep untighten it, especially the spring.
you have to remove the belt first. the tensioner is always spring loaded.....cant loosen it.
insert the torx into the tensioner, twist the tensioner enough to let you slip the belt off, then slowly release the tensioner. then remove the hold down bolt and take out the tensioner.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

This is on an E46 so use appropriate tool size, it also may or may not apply to E60.Use a drill bit and insert into the aligned holes to lock the spring loaded tensioner in place,
there's no need for a special tool for this. Thanks go to Pelican Parts DIY article.

BMW TIS Replacing Alternator Drive Belt.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
you have to remove the belt first. the tensioner is always spring loaded.....cant loosen it.
insert the torx into the tensioner, twist the tensioner enough to let you slip the belt off, then slowly release the tensioner. then remove the hold down bolt and take out the tensioner.

Thanks, following this method I was able to remove the belt. Just for future reference, I do not see any pin slot for the e60 550 engine. Just loosen the tensioner with the T60 enough to remove the belt and it automatically retighten, due to the spring I guess. I assume later on I will need to do the same method to put the belt back.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Thanks, following this method I was able to remove the belt. Just for future reference, I do not see any pin slot for the e60 550 engine. Just loosen the tensioner with the T60 enough to remove the belt and it automatically retighten, due to the spring I guess. I assume later on I will need to do the same method to put the belt back.
yeah, when reinstalling the belt, get it mostly on, and then loosen the tensioner to put slip the rest on. on certain replacement tensioners, there is a pin that temporarily holds it in the loose position.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

thanks Turbo...I thought it was strange when I removed the old tennsioner and didn't see the pin. I assume the pin has to be removed in order to get the belt tighten?

Just got home from the dealer's part department. The tensioner cost me 120+ but got a 10% discount so around 110 + tax. A little bit cheaper online but don't have time to wait for it to be shipped. Hopefully this will resolve the weird loud noise with my engine.

If you have time, please take a look at my thread in the discussion forum and tell me what you think of that noise. I know for sure my tensioner pulley is worn out but the I just can't see a bad tensioner causing that sound though.

Anyway, thank you for your time.

Richard

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt & Belt Tensioner replacement -- N62 (545i)