DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Satellite radio success!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i,1995 M3
Model Year: 2004

Installed a mObridge XM radio unit in a 2004 545 sport with L7, no nav, 6/04 build date. The install was pretty straightforward, thanks to fabulous instructions from jomo9999 (includes part numbers for the bracket and wiring harness parts), but in the end he says go to the dealer and have them activate it. This will not do.

Using NCS Expert I was able to add $655 to the VO and update the CAS and LMA ecu's (using the instructions in the second pdf in this post, others are incomplete), but it didn't take. I tried coding the MASK module in the same way, but got error messages. Turns out the MASK needs to be coded this way, by editing the the FSW_PSW.TRC file. In fact I tried disabling the legal disclosure on the CAS ecu, the file saved but the disclosure still came up. On my car the MASK ecu also needed coding, both for the legal disclosure (exactly the same as in the CAS file), and the satellite radio--change the SARS option to aktiv.

These coding issues should be the same if installing the factory Sirius tuner too. I prefer baseball to football, so I went with the XM. Have a road trip to Chicago tomorrow, maybe later I'll post a review of how the mObridge performs. I already have their iPod adapter, it has its ups and downs but sure is better than listening to FM radio!

Thanks to all who posted before me. I will try to answer any questions but I'm not online every day, please be patient and understand I'm just learning NCS Expert myself! Incidentally I just noticed EAS is not selling these anymore. Unless someone else picked these up Sirius may be your only option now.