DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Sat Nav Pro retrofit/ how do you handle it with existing bluetooth pho

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I assume some of you folks bought CCC from other sellers which was in other cars.

When you put it in and have the Indys code it, won't they get errors like your VIN should not come with GPS or other errors?

I didn't attempt to go to the agent because I was afraid that they would spend 3 days trying to code in AUX but end up failing and end up charging me some other hardwares.

Thanks anyone?
Old 03-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Hi,

I previously had the Business Navigation that has the smaller screen and only had the ARROW display, no maps.

I purchased a 2nd hand Professional Navigation pack from a guy in POLAND. Yikes.

Included: (from memory)
  • CCC - Dual CD/DVD unit
  • 8.8" display
  • i-Dive HIGH controller
  • 2 Button Menu/Voice unit for centre console
  • Navigation microphone
  • Nav mic cable
  • New cable HIGH cable from CCC to 8.8" display
  • Wire connectors for CCC fan

I fitted it myself after many questions and received great support from E60/5 Series forum members and especially RUDY, thanks again.

Now, I was surprised that it worked after I had allowed the E60 to update the CCC to Australia, this took a few try but eventually succeeded.

My issues:
  1. Can't retrofit update CCC unit as I get errors and PROGMAN won't proceed
  2. Can't perform E60 updates as errors and PROGMAN won't proceed
  3. When I press VOICE button on steering wheel, I get GERMAN lady
  4. Mic doesn't work

Am I happy I updated to Pro Nav, YES.

However, unless we can work out why PROGMAN would complete PRO NAV Retrofit update if the E60 ever needs a PROGMAN update to fix something, I have to put back the original BUSINESS NAVIGATION parts.

Originally Posted by m3dan
For anyone still interested, I bought the 65 83 6 941 801 part number and fitted last weekend. All I Drive functions, navigation and the controller work fine. Im taking the car to be coded tomorrow as I fitted an AUX retrofit kit at the same time.
Were the coding and RETROFIT updates successful?

Cheerz
Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
Members

Hi, I took my car for coding after buying and installing the auxillary retrofit kit.
I dropped my car off at 8:30 at the local independent (I think they have autologic) I then called them at 4pm to check if it had worked, to be told that he had tried but got muliple component errors, and that I should count myself lucky that nav and phone are working.
He then tried to charge me 50 pound plus VAT for the privilige. Not happy. I want to find another independent to code in the north of england. (Leeds area). I suspect it may be that the car wasnt updated to latest version before the install. However the independent told me this wasnt necessary. Contrary to other threads on the subject.
My saga continues.......that and my pdc appears to be on the blink :thumbsdown: maybe time to start looking for something different.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Members

I've recently upgraded my car to pro nav too... I have an '03 545i that had business nav and bluetooth. Once I'd physically changed over the components, I lost the bluetooth and PDC onscreen display (it still beeps as normal, it just doesn't show the car on the idrive display). The CCC was new old stock from a BMW parts company, so I'm assuming it had no options switched on when I got it (unlike the ones on eBay that have come from other vehicles). It was also a 2004 part, so I'm hoping this will reduce the chances of incompatibilities with other components.

Anyway, it goes in to be coded on Tuesday so hopefully that will bring my PDC and phone back. It's being done by BW Auto Repair in West London - they have a pretty good reputation on forums, so if they can't do it I'm guessing it can't be done. They didn't sound too grumpy on the phone when I explained what I needed.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yikes, sounds like a lot of work.

How much did it cost to retrofit?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Members

To be honest it's not really that much actual work... It only took a friend and I about an hour to physically swap over all components, including cups of tea and head scratching time. I did know what I was doing beforehand though, as I've had most of those parts out before when I swapped over my wood trim and changed my armrest to leather. Knowing how everything fits together in advance will certainly save a lot of time and unnecessary work.

As for cost, I bought the parts over a long period of time (maybe 6 months) so I waited for reasonable deals. I'd say I've spent about £450 in total, although I got fairly lucky with the CCC as it was a little over £200 and effectively brand new (we'll see how lucky I really was when they try to code it next week). The only bits I got from the dealer are the CCC fan cable and the trim piece to cover the CCC (this rarely comes up on eBay and I got impatient as I had everything else ready to go).

As it stands, even with the issues I have without it being coded, I could live with it as it is. PDC works fine (I rarely look at the screen while I'm reversing anyway... Just look at the mirrors and listen to the beeps to confirm what I'm seeing) and I'd rather have the sat nav than the bluetooth if it came to a choice... Hopefully it won't come to that and I'll have it working soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i, Production Date May 2005

Hi,

I must admit that I was pretty fortunate with my BusNav to ProNav upgrade, my only issues are:
  • Can't perform ProNav RetroFit software upgrade
  • Can't update ProgMan version of E60 unless I replace BusNav components
  • Because I can't perform ProNav software update, my console Voice Button and microphone don't work
  • When I press the steering wheel Voice buutton, the female speaks in German

However, by updating to ProNav, I get:
  • 8.8" widescreen screen
  • Twin CD/DVD for ProNav and music CD/MP3's
  • ProNav MAP and 2nd display (arrow)
  • PDC functions perfectly, was already available
  • Bluetooth, was already available

I have no regrets, but I've heard of more failures than successes so I count myself very LUCKY, but I did a few months research and asked many questions before purchasing.

Cheerz

Originally Posted by spandex
As it stands, even with the issues I have without it being coded, I could live with it as it is. PDC works fine (I rarely look at the screen while I'm reversing anyway... Just look at the mirrors and listen to the beeps to confirm what I'm seeing) and I'd rather have the sat nav than the bluetooth if it came to a choice... Hopefully it won't come to that and I'll have it working soon.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Members

I'm not sure the lack of voice control is just down to you not being able to update... There are differences in how the mic is wired up I think. I'd have to have another look at the TIS again to be sure, but there were a couple of wires which needed to be connected to the back of the CCC (not the 3 fan wires) and they are definitely related to voice (according to the wiring diagram in the TIS, these are connections A1 and A2 of the Voice Control Harness).

I didn't connect these either, as I had voice control in my old 645 and thought it was terrible...
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Members

Just an update... My car was coded, which by the sounds of it was a pig of a job, but they got everything working exactly how it should be. They needed to code all the new components (I think they all contain the VIN of the car, so these all needed to be matched up) and the software was updated too. I don't have every detail of what they did, but I know they got a new vehicle order from BMW so at least it's all registered on their systems now (although I don't plan on getting any work done by BMW anyway, so that's not much of an issue for me).

If anyone needs any coding (or mechanical) work done around West London, I can recommend BW Autorepairs (Hounslow). They probably won't thank me for recommending them as I'm sure its not the nicest job, but they really do understand these cars inside out.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Members

Just an update for anyone still reading about navigation retrofit.
I finally got my car recoded. As other posters have mentioned it apparently was a real pig of a job, recoding (completely reflashing) CCC, and all related modules.

I went to AutoLogic in Hull. It took a lot longer than he said it would but he stuck to his original quote on cost, and finally sorted everything out.
The options in the IDrive from the CCC's old car (heated seats & CD mulit changer) have all been removed, and hes activated the AUX retrofit, and when I went to pick it up he said he'd enabled the CD drive to play mp3s too, I'm very happy now!

I bought the car thinking it originally had navigation after the BMW garage that serviced it told me it had. Lesson learned check ALL options before paying and driving off, as I would not like to go through all this again!

Quick Reply: Sat Nav Pro retrofit/ how do you handle it with existing bluetooth pho