DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Salvage E60 545i Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i bought a salvage 545i 2005 with very minor damage except for airbag deployment on the steering wheel and passanger airbag. The car really did not have a scratch all around except for the damage which was just the hood,driver side fender, driver side headlight, bumper, control arm and airbags.

i had my auto body guy finish all the body work and had the dash panel replaced with airbags.
im experiencing the following problems though:

Active steering error comes up (im thinking its because i might need a wheel alignment due to the control arm)
driver Airbag fault and passenger airbag fault (not sure if i had to reset the system to recognize the replaced airbags or because i have not replaced the seat belt motor which was damaged)
driver and passenger seatbelt restraint error ( need to replace the seatbelt motor i was told)
Adaptive headlight fault on drivers side (the adaptive light is blinking an it seems the headlight driver side that was replaced is stuck pointing to the left) i think this could be fixed once the wheel alignment is done as well

so can anyone let me know if im heading on the right track or if anyone has done this before
thanks everyone in advance-- attached is a pic of the vehicle after body work done. check it out
Attached Thumbnails Salvage E60 545i Rebuild-picture_003.jpg   Salvage E60 545i Rebuild-picture_002.jpg  
Old 09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Contributors

You seem to be on the right track bro good job on the body work!
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Active steering error comes up (im thinking its because i might need a wheel alignment due to the control arm)
driver Airbag fault and passenger airbag fault (not sure if i had to reset the system to recognize the replaced airbags or because i have not replaced the seat belt motor which was damaged)
driver and passenger seatbelt restraint error ( need to replace the seatbelt motor i was told)
Adaptive headlight fault on drivers side (the adaptive light is blinking an it seems the headlight driver side that was replaced is stuck pointing to the left) i think this could be fixed once the wheel alignment is done as well

Seems good but try unplugging the battery and plugging it back in to see if ANY of those errors go off.

1) Active steering error comes up (im thinking its because i might need a wheel alignment due to the control arm)
- it may work but you may have a faulty sensor

2) driver Airbag fault and passenger airbag fault (not sure if i had to reset the system to recognize the replaced airbags or because i have not replaced the seat belt motor which was damaged)
- try resetting battery

3) driver and passenger seatbelt restraint error ( need to replace the seatbelt motor i was told)
- try resetting battery or you have have to replace the seatbelt motor

4) Adaptive headlight fault on drivers side (the adaptive light is blinking an it seems the headlight driver side that was replaced is stuck pointing to the left) i think this could be fixed once the wheel alignment is done as well
- the alignment is not going to fix it. You may need a new LCM or ACL. There's a million things that can go wrong. Email me if you need a new LCM. I have a spare one.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='1004979' date='Sep 11 2009, 01:29 PM
Seems good but try unplugging the battery and plugging it back in to see if ANY of those errors go off.

1) Active steering error comes up (im thinking its because i might need a wheel alignment due to the control arm)
- it may work but you may have a faulty sensor

2) driver Airbag fault and passenger airbag fault (not sure if i had to reset the system to recognize the replaced airbags or because i have not replaced the seat belt motor which was damaged)
- try resetting battery

3) driver and passenger seatbelt restraint error ( need to replace the seatbelt motor i was told)
- try resetting battery or you have have to replace the seatbelt motor

4) Adaptive headlight fault on drivers side (the adaptive light is blinking an it seems the headlight driver side that was replaced is stuck pointing to the left) i think this could be fixed once the wheel alignment is done as well
- the alignment is not going to fix it. You may need a new LCM or ACL. There's a million things that can go wrong. Email me if you need a new LCM. I have a spare one.
ok thanks.. im going to check with someone that will let me know. i will contact you about the LCM. i will also try resetting the battery.. thanks man
Old 09-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Airbag...

Since airbag was deployed and had to put new one, you have to clear out the code by BMW dealer.. I tries to do that with obd 2 reader and couldn't do it. Airbag, seatbelt is all coming because of the airbag
Old 09-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='1005027' date='Sep 11 2009, 02:33 PM
Airbag...

Since airbag was deployed and had to put new one, you have to clear out the code by BMW dealer.. I tries to do that with obd 2 reader and couldn't do it. Airbag, seatbelt is all coming because of the airbag
thanks a bunch man.. sounds about right... the seatbelt wasnt locked so maybe i dont need to change the seatbelt... usually they lock when they need to be replaced. ill have someone that deals with BMW reset, the dealer is probably going to charge me an arm and a leg lol.. thanks bro
Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

For the light blinking, that means you have a faulty adaptive light control module or may simply need a reprogramming from the dealers. I would rule out the light control module as of now.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1005061' date='Sep 11 2009, 03:30 PM
thanks a bunch man.. sounds about right... the seatbelt wasnt locked so maybe i dont need to change the seatbelt... usually they lock when they need to be replaced. ill have someone that deals with BMW reset, the dealer is probably going to charge me an arm and a leg lol.. thanks bro
they should charge you about an hr labor... which should be roughly 150...

all they have to do is plug it into their computers and reset it...
not that many places do have a machine to clear that code... even bmw special shop didnt have it so i had to go to the dealer
Old 09-12-2009, 07:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34' post='1005468' date='Sep 12 2009, 04:13 AM
they should charge you about an hr labor... which should be roughly 150...

all they have to do is plug it into their computers and reset it...
not that many places do have a machine to clear that code... even bmw special shop didnt have it so i had to go to the dealer
have you heard of the peake tool... http://www.peakeresearch.com/ it cost about 150.00 on ebay and it will reset the codes guaranteed. what do you think about it???
Old 09-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Members

Sometimes after an accident the seatbelt sensor gets pulled along with the seat belt... Not 100% sure, but at the bottom of the seat belt (the panel on the floor has to come off) there is a big round torx head screw and if that metal clip holding the seatbelt in place is bent in any directions besides perfectly parallel to the top of the seatbelt where the clip on the roof holds it in, it might give you and error.

Quick Reply: Salvage E60 545i Rebuild