DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Reset after changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I changed my rear brake pads yesterday (BMW original parts). After that, I tried to reset the service intervall for (was showing -1000km) like described in this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17756

However, after the that it now shows -25000km

Can anybody help? My first thought was that the electrical wiring that goes to the prake pads was not connected. Cleaning it an reinstalling was no help, though.

Dirk
Old 04-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try it again. It happened to mine and it works second time I reset it.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='275318' date='Apr 28 2006, 09:13 PM
Try it again. It happened to mine and it works second time I reset it.
It didn't work and I turned the car in today. The sensor wire had to be replaced. Looks like the system sets back to -25000 when it can't get any signal.

Front pads have 6000 more kilometers to go. We'll see if it works next time....
Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='275317' date='Apr 28 2006, 03:09 PM
Hi,

I changed my rear brake pads yesterday (BMW original parts). After that, I tried to reset the service intervall for (was showing -1000km) like described in this thread:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=17756

However, after the that it now shows -25000km

Can anybody help? My first thought was that the electrical wiring that goes to the prake pads was not connected. Cleaning it an reinstalling was no help, though.

Dirk
Did you replace the sensor wires too during the rear brake pads replacement ? I believe that dealer always replace the sensor wires along with the brake pads. Just my thought.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='278049' date='May 4 2006, 09:05 PM
It didn't work and I turned the car in today. The sensor wire had to be replaced. Looks like the system sets back to -25000 when it can't get any signal.

Front pads have 6000 more kilometers to go. We'll see if it works next time....
There is a " U " contact fitted in the ceramic sensor. Sensor and pad are wearing along. When this contact which is fitted somewhere in the middle of the sensor's length, reach the rotor, a warning message appears on I-Drive screen which informs you that some .....Km left to the pads.
If you replace the pads quickly after this warning, there is no need to replace the sensor, you can just reset it by this method descripted above, and the sensor is ready to work with the wearing of the replaced pads, but if you leave the pads (and sensor's contact) to wear 200-300 Km more, then the U contact is broken and the message is stored into the fault codes memory and can be only resetted by sensor replacement.

Nick
Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 PM
Members

figures most people on here are pretty amart
Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 PM
Hus
New Members

Hi,

I'm getting -9000 value when i did the reset. I have replaced the Fornt brake pads without sensor(changed the pads way before the wear light). but I never reset the wear indicator and from yesterday I'm getting front brake pads wear indicator in RED and handBrake on too. when I try to reset I get ---- then back to -9000 miles

Can someone please put me the right direction?

Many Thanks

Hus
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hus
Hi,

I'm getting -9000 value when i did the reset. I have replaced the Fornt brake pads without sensor(changed the pads way before the wear light). but I never reset the wear indicator and from yesterday I'm getting front brake pads wear indicator in RED and handBrake on too. when I try to reset I get ---- then back to -9000 miles

Can someone please put me the right direction?

Many Thanks

Hus
You may need to replace the sensor if its worn too much, you could try diconnecting the sensor from the electical connector and reconnect it as you would a new sensor and see if that helps in the reset process.

For the price of the sensor it may be worth just changing it.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Members

This happened to me too. Check your connection or check the sensor with an ohm meter. In my case, I replaced the sensors and reset and it was ok. Attached is the sensor diagram that you can use as a guide to check it.
Attached Thumbnails Reset after changing brake pads-bmwe60brakesensor.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 AM
Members

I had the same problem with my UK 530d. I swapped the front pads, tried to reset (without replacing the worn sensor) and got -9000 miles service overdue.

I replaced the sensor this morning with a genuine BMW one (part number on the sales invoice is: B34.35.6.789.492). The first two times I tried to reset I got -9000 again. So I switched the ignition off, locked the car, went back in the house for a coffee, came back out 20 mins later and tried it again. Voila! It now shows front pads 25000 miles remaining. Result!

The bottom line is folks whenever you replace the pads you MUST replace the sensor. My sensor cost me £20.70 from the local stealer which was half the price of my mintex replacement pads. There is only ONE sensor per axle. For the front pads this is on the left hand side of the car. Logic says the rear sensor will be on the same side.

I checked my old and new sensors with my multimeter and the diagram that ndsim has posted above is spot on! A brand new (and working) sensor reads 0 ohms (short circuit) across the pins.

Hope that helps someone.

Quick Reply: Reset after changing brake pads