DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Replacing thermostat?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 BMW 545i Sport Package Premium Package White Angel Eyes HID Fog Lights

I have the "Increased Emissions" error on my idrive right now so i took it to the stealership and they said they have to replace the thermostat for the light to go off. They are wanting $400+ to do this. I looked up the part online and its like $60 how can labor be that high??

Does anyone know how to replace this? How difficult is it to do? What tools, parts are needed? I didnt find a DIY on this so any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I don't think so it is the thermostat and the error should tell on the i-drive like that : "Increased Temperature" I may wrong.

About "Increased Emissions", it is more related with exhaust system and Fuel/Air Intakes.

you should check the Oxygen Sensors, Catalyst, the Gas cap, Spark Plugs, MAF. How many Km has your car?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545i Sport Package Premium Package White Angel Eyes HID Fog Lights

Originally Posted by miguex' post='704596' date='Oct 27 2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think so it is the thermostat and the error should tell on the i-drive like that : "Increased Temperature" I may wrong.

About "Increased Emissions", it is more related with exhaust system and Fuel/Air Intakes.

you should check the Oxygen Sensors, Catalyst, the Gas cap, Spark Plugs, MAF. How many Km has your car?
Well this is according to the stealer.. my car has 57k miles currently
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

ive replaced a thermo in a e46 328i -- the thermostate itself is not much, but in our cars they are placed within the piping and the blow off valve. usually you have to purchase the whole thing together, may expalin the cost. if it is the same replacement technique on the 5 as the 3 should be easy, just make sure your clamps and hoses are fitted tight (obviously). but i doubt the e-60 is as easy......
Old 10-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by struong55' post='704613' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:42 PM
Well this is according to the stealer.. my car has 57k miles currently
Is your "stealer" a BMW dealership? Usually they run diagnostic first (just $130 in my dealer) then they will tell you what exaclty the problem.

By the way I have done myself/DIY: spark plugs, oxygen sensors.

do you have an ODB2 tool? You can buy it and check/run the device and see what errors are showing. It helps a lots!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rrnag30' post='704646' date='Oct 27 2008, 01:11 PM
ive replaced a thermo in a e46 328i -- the thermostate itself is not much, but in our cars they are placed within the piping and the blow off valve. usually you have to purchase the whole thing together, may expalin the cost. if it is the same replacement technique on the 5 as the 3 should be easy, just make sure your clamps and hoses are fitted tight (obviously). but i doubt the e-60 is as easy......

I believe the thermostat is a part of Cooling system when the engine is running too hot and the temperature increases to redlines acoording the info from: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question248.htm

but he said it says " Increased Emissions" it is different story. Please correct me if I am wrong.

by the way replacing a thermostat is a easy job/DIY, I think there is a TIS for this.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by miguex' post='704659' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:20 PM
Is your "stealer" a BMW dealership? Usually they run diagnostic first (just $130 in my dealer) then they will tell you what exaclty the problem.

By the way I have done myself/DIY: spark plugs, oxygen sensors.

do you have an ODB2 tool? You can buy it and check/run the device and see what errors are showing. It helps a lots!

Yes this is BMW dealership.. this was part of the diagnostic they ran. I dont have an ODB2 tool but i brought it to autozone and they said something about an mass flow sensor or something like that was bad. Is there any possible way the thermostat would cause an 'increased emissions' error???
Old 10-27-2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i 6MT

Originally Posted by struong55' post='704739' date='Oct 27 2008, 03:14 PM
Yes this is BMW dealership.. this was part of the diagnostic they ran. I dont have an ODB2 tool but i brought it to autozone and they said something about an mass flow sensor or something like that was bad. Is there any possible way the thermostat would cause an 'increased emissions' error???
Usually the cause of increased emission is O2 sensors, plugs or ignition system.

Did you run any after market intake (AFE or KNN filter)?
Oiled filter usually "splashed" thin layer of oil on the MAF. After many miles of driving, the MAF sensor may be dirty w/ slight residue which will alter the reading.
Try cleaning the MAF sensor w/ MAF cleaner:

And then reset the OBD2 code w/ the OBD2 reader then drive it again and see if problem comes back. If not then you should be good
Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by salaki' post='704760' date='Oct 27 2008, 02:33 PM
Usually the cause of increased emission is O2 sensors, plugs or ignition system.

Did you run any after market intake (AFE or KNN filter)?
Oiled filter usually "splashed" thin layer of oil on the MAF. After many miles of driving, the MAF sensor may be dirty w/ slight residue which will alter the reading.
Try cleaning the MAF sensor w/ MAF cleaner:

And then reset the OBD2 code w/ the OBD2 reader then drive it again and see if problem comes back. If not then you should be good

++1 that is a very good product! I used it to clean the MAF! very good. A caution! NEVER, NEVER touch your fingers or wipe inside of MAF! Just spray it and it will evaporates.

Yes, I doubt the thermostat causes the problem. I think they told you that becasue they are "stealers"!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05' 545i

Yes, I doubt the thermostat causes the problem. I think they told you that becasue they are "stealers"!
[/quote]

+1 ---emissions has nothing to do with the engine temp/thermostate --- firstly if there was an issue with it your car would show that it is overheating.
emmissions error - would almost certainly be the O2 sensor...but like miguex said --check the gas cap! lol..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing thermostat?