DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

removing the trim and compartment under cd player

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how to remove all this under the CD i will custom make a trim to fit a DVD screen in there but i need to know how to remove all that to make a mold out of fiberglass,

help
Old 03-07-2007, 04:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Getting to the area under the CD drive is reasonably easy.
From memory, I can't remember if you have to take off the gear lever trim panel, but I think you do.

Firstly, take off the trim from across the passenger side of the dashboard. Some people lift out the hazard switch first and disconnect it, others leave it in until the trim comes off and then disconnect. The trim just levers off with a large flat blade. Start from the door side. The air vents come out with the trim.

Lift the gear lever gaiter and undo the two screws underneath. The centre trim, along with the ashtray and cover will now lever off in the same manner as the dash trim.

You will see some screws at the top and bottom of the unit you want to take out. Remove these. The heater controls will separate, so there is no need to interfere with them. The switches for PDC etc will pull out. This should leave you with the central vertical piece flapping about. (the CD drive stays in-situ). The piece is in two or three pieces and is just clipped together. Remove it and make the mould. Note that there isn't a lot of room behind the panel above the ashtray and below the cubby.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='399557' date='Mar 7 2007, 08:12 AM
Getting to the area under the CD drive is reasonably easy.
From memory, I can't remember if you have to take off the gear lever trim panel, but I think you do.

Firstly, take off the trim from across the passenger side of the dashboard. Some people lift out the hazard switch first and disconnect it, others leave it in until the trim comes off and then disconnect. The trim just levers off with a large flat blade. Start from the door side. The air vents come out with the trim.

Lift the gear lever gaiter and undo the two screws underneath. The centre trim, along with the ashtray and cover will now lever off in the same manner as the dash trim.

You will see some screws at the top and bottom of the unit you want to take out. Remove these. The heater controls will separate, so there is no need to interfere with them. The switches for PDC etc will pull out. This should leave you with the central vertical piece flapping about. (the CD drive stays in-situ). The piece is in two or three pieces and is just clipped together. Remove it and make the mould. Note that there isn't a lot of room behind the panel above the ashtray and below the cubby.

For the most part i think i understand what you are saying i guess i would have to do it because i still dont see the connection from that compartment under the CD with the Wood trim on the dash. Do you happen to have any pics, anyone have pics?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Take a look at the following:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=5650

Keep in mind that the trim piece you describe is physically connected to the trim that surrounds the CD/DVD slots. If you have navigation, there is no room behind the trim piece -- if you don't have nav, there is room back there...
Old 05-09-2007, 02:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='399612' date='Mar 7 2007, 05:44 PM
Keep in mind that the trim piece you describe is physically connected to the trim that surrounds the CD/DVD slots. If you have navigation, there is no room behind the trim piece -- if you don't have nav, there is room back there...
The navi on the pics are a professional, is the business (only one drive slot) different onder that piece of trim? Because I'd like to swap the old trim for the face-lift trim with better (acceleration proof) pockets.

Any idea on the price of that cupholder piece of trim? Not that it's much of a cupholder but maybe better than nothing...