DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Removing Swirl marks from wood trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey anyone have a solution to fixing the swirl marks i have on my interior wood trim. The piece that surrounds the tranny and idrive knob. its so annoying??
Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tblck543' post='713333' date='Nov 5 2008, 07:07 PM
hey anyone have a solution to fixing the swirl marks i have on my interior wood trim. The piece that surrounds the tranny and idrive knob. its so annoying??

+1
Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 525i Msport Euro specs: voice command, Lighting package, bluetooth package, premium sound and M5 wheels.

I want to share what I did with mine. I have minor swirl marks and not scratches so I bought a sachet of 3M fine rubbing compound. Then:
1. I remove the I-drive knob by pulling it and masked the menu button and Auto tranny with masking tape.
2. I applied a uniform very thin coat of the fine rubbing compound in the area.
3. I made a microtex rug into a ball shape a bit wet with kerosene and start buffing the area in circular motion.
4. I dried it with a new microtex rug. It looks dull but the scrarches are gone.
5. I applied a coat of Meguiars advance NXT wax and the results is fantastic "Brand new"

Down side is when I removed the masking tape in the auto tranny the black paint came with it

So I remove the auto tranny plastic and start peeling all the original black paint. To my surprise I was able to remove all the black paint with my finger nails carefully and a semi gloss black plastic emerged. I am happy when I saw it and now everything looks brand new.

I also carefully removed all the peeling paint on the interior door handles and a semigloss gray plastic also emerged. I'm happy now.

BTW after a month i bought a Real Carbon fiber layover kit and covered all the hard work.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joattack' post='713654' date='Nov 6 2008, 08:01 AM
I want to share what I did with mine. I have minor swirl marks and not scratches so I bought a sachet of 3M fine rubbing compound. Then:
1. I remove the I-drive knob by pulling it and masked the menu button and Auto tranny with masking tape.
2. I applied a uniform very thin coat of the fine rubbing compound in the area.
3. I made a microtex rug into a ball shape a bit wet with kerosene and start buffing the area in circular motion.
4. I dried it with a new microtex rug. It looks dull but the scrarches are gone.
5. I applied a coat of Meguiars advance NXT wax and the results is fantastic "Brand new"

Down side is when I removed the masking tape in the auto tranny the black paint came with it

So I remove the auto tranny plastic and start peeling all the original black paint. To my surprise I was able to remove all the black paint with my finger nails carefully and a semi gloss black plastic emerged. I am happy when I saw it and now everything looks brand new.

I also carefully removed all the peeling paint on the interior door handles and a semigloss gray plastic also emerged. I'm happy now.

BTW after a month i bought a Real Carbon fiber layover kit and covered all the hard work.

Any swirl remover polish should work, just use a application pad and slightly move around it in circles then wipe with microfiber towel, it should be good as new.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='713816' date='Nov 6 2008, 12:32 PM
Any swirl remover polish should work, just use a application pad and slightly move around it in circles then wipe with microfiber towel, it should be good as new.
I went out and bought meguiers scratch and swirl remover and it worked like a charm. But fyi you need to do 3 or 4 applications of it to get the swirl marks out.