DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Rear AC VENT Replacement TIS

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Does anyone happen to have the TIS info on changing the rear vent plastic to wood?

I have seen all of the pictures and steps that people have posted, but I would like the actual TIS for this to get the hours that BMW should charge as well as hours.

Thank you.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

think this is it. dissambly of fittings is not long like for like.easy pull out with correct tools you could easily do this yourself with a plastc credit card or blade sides well supported pull from base and release both top side clips one at a time then down to release lip of aircon vent piece.very easy andyou have nothing to lose if you are changing,
incidentall in uk we dont get most often only get the cubbyhole so maybe you guys that do this would like a swap .cubby hole for accessory power socket type.
incidentall the sckets are solidly fitted on the panel ,but all leads are push fit.
hope that helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2Rear_insert.pdf (60.9 KB, 243 views)
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by radioham' post='229447' date='Jan 25 2006, 01:54 PM
think this is it. dissambly of fittings is not long like for like.easy pull out with correct tools you could easily do this yourself with a plastc credit card or blade sides well supported pull from base and release both top side clips one at a time then down to release lip of aircon vent piece.very easy andyou have nothing to lose if you are changing,
incidentall in uk we dont get most often only get the cubbyhole so maybe you guys that do this would like a swap .cubby hole for accessory power socket type.
incidentall the sckets are solidly fitted on the panel ,but all leads are push fit.
hope that helps
Thank you Radioman, however that is part of the full TIS that would give the expected hours and such. I just want that because my dealer is telling me that it would be 1.5 hours and by looking at the posts from people that have done it themselves and the 2 partial TIS docs that show the tool and the removal it looks like it can be done in .5 hours.

Mike
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

skipper, I don't recall seeing expected labor hours on TIS documents. I think the only place I've seen it was on specific service bulletins that indicate how many hours to charge for warranty reimbursement from BMW, etc.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:29 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by skipper' post='229743' date='Jan 25 2006, 09:03 PM
Thank you Radioman, however that is part of the full TIS that would give the expected hours and such. I just want that because my dealer is telling me that it would be 1.5 hours and by looking at the posts from people that have done it themselves and the 2 partial TIS docs that show the tool and the removal it looks like it can be done in .5 hours.

Mike
I removed that piece as part of my iPod hardwire install, and there's no way it should take 1.5 hours. If you compare it to the aux input install (which BMW says should take 1 hour), I'd say it's well under half as much time. The actual swap process should take under 15 minutes, but by the time they get the proper tools, etc. it's probably not realistic to think they'll charge you less than 0.5 hour.

I'd suggest trying it yourself--it will take less time than you'll spend waiting to drop your car off for service. Check here for more info:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 01-26-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It can be done in less than 10 munites by yourself with instructions from BMW service manual. Why bring it to dealer?