DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

radar det

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Davo' date='Apr 3 2005, 09:00 PM
[quote name='CRRobert' date='Mar 30 2005, 07:55 PM'][quote name='Davo' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:52 PM'][quote name='Don Juan' date='Mar 24 2004, 12:32 PM']The radar has no obstructions and is very accurate. Did I say very.accurate. I had the same setup in my 330Ci, so it was a matter of try with a voltimeter which wire had the juice. Now I don't have to worry of taking it down or hiding it for cops or thieves?

Tonite will take some pictures of my setup and the wire connection.
[snapback]5483[/snapback]
This is great. Thanks for the pictures. I taped into the green and yellow wire but no power. How do I confirm it was the right green and yellow wire. After I connected the airbag sensor went off not sure if it was a coincidence or not.
[snapback]108826[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can't comment on the airbag sensor, but the tap that is supplied with the V1 at least is for a larger guage, and you may have to wiggle it, crimp it more. I used a different connector to the wire(smaller guage), after I tapped in with the supplied one, and would have power then not, then power, etc. All fine now.
[snapback]108937[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]110688[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 04-03-2005, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Davo' date='Apr 3 2005, 09:00 PM
[quote name='CRRobert' date='Mar 30 2005, 07:55 PM'][quote name='Davo' date='Mar 30 2005, 12:52 PM'][quote name='Don Juan' date='Mar 24 2004, 12:32 PM']The radar has no obstructions and is very accurate. Did I say very.accurate. I had the same setup in my 330Ci, so it was a matter of try with a voltimeter which wire had the juice. Now I don't have to worry of taking it down or hiding it for cops or thieves?

Tonite will take some pictures of my setup and the wire connection.
[snapback]5483[/snapback]
This is great. Thanks for the pictures. I taped into the green and yellow wire but no power. How do I confirm it was the right green and yellow wire. After I connected the airbag sensor went off not sure if it was a coincidence or not.
[snapback]108826[/snapback]
[/quote]

I can't comment on the airbag sensor, but the tap that is supplied with the V1 at least is for a larger guage, and you may have to wiggle it, crimp it more. I used a different connector to the wire(smaller guage), after I tapped in with the supplied one, and would have power then not, then power, etc. All fine now.
[snapback]108937[/snapback]
[/quote]
[snapback]110688[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have tried to crimp it down tighter but that did not seem to work. I am concerned that if I try to expose the wire that I might cut the wire by mistake. where did you find the connector you used for the smaller wire?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have planned on hardwiring my V1 to the fuse box, but BMWNA tells me I will likely run into problems with warranty if I have any electrical issues in the future. Has anybody run into any problems with their hardwired radar detector? Has anybody been given other info regarding voiding the warranty from their dealer?

Thanks,
Old 04-19-2005, 11:48 AM
JDN
Contributors

No problems here.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

No problems with hardwired V1, in my 545i or previous cars.

On my 545i, I used the instructions in this thread to tap a switched power source in the overhead console, near the sunroof button.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Members

Stream...is it really easy? Are you concerned that if something is a warranty issue related to the electrical system, that BMW may not warranty it?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Stoley' date='Apr 19 2005, 03:30 PM
Stream...is it really easy? Are you concerned that if something is a warranty issue related to the electrical system, that BMW may not warranty it?
[snapback]117320[/snapback]
I am no electrical engineer...and I've done it on a few cars (with the proper directions ). Just follow the excellent pix and directions near the beginning of this thread. The hardest part was routing the wire so it wouldn't show--seriously. The radar detector has an in-line fuse, as does the circuit you're taping into, and the V1 doesn't draw much power.

As far as warranty, I've made so many mods to all my cars. They need to prove that the mod you made caused the issue for them to be able to say it's your fault and deny a warranty claim. If you chip or supercharge your engine, I'd worry, but not for a radar detector. On my last Carrera, I installed a short shifter, and when they had to pull the trans to replace a leaking RMS, they didn't say boo--it was not related.

Of course...do it at your own risk..and don't come crying to me if you have a problem...!!!
Old 04-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Members

Did you install the concealed display so it would be more difficult to see from a driver behind you? I am thinking of mounting just to the left of the visor with no consealed display...what do you think?

I promise not to cry...maybe just a little sigh
Old 04-19-2005, 07:59 PM
JDN
Contributors

That is where I have mine mounted. Working OK.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Members

JDN-Do you have it hardwired? Did you do it yourself? Any complaints, concerns, or comments???

Quick Reply: radar det