DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Project of the YEAR!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Im awaiting the arrival of my alpine vehicle hub pro, PAC SWI-X for the steering wheel fuctions, and an AudioControl LC8. Planning in pugging an Alpine 6CDC/DVD aswell and an Alpine deck with pop up screen and GPS in place of the OEM cd deck one. Really nervous on getting this installed without Fu%"& up the car. Was curious about what you guys think what problems I am gonna get into getting this all installed?? This is coming from a guy who would rather plug and play. ALL your thoughts would be REALLY appreciated.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

I dont think you radio controls will work, as you can not uplugg you factory radio... I would do some research on that...
Old 10-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

You can not unplug the factory HU. It is going to have to remain. I put my unit below the factory You are not going to beable to use the factory controls unless you wire the alpine into the aux of the factory HU. If you are not upgrading the speakers and the amps I say dont bother changing the HU out. This car is a PITA to work on when it comes to aftermarket stereos. Trust me I have taken my car apart a few times. I have no fm or am functions in my car unless I plug the factory speakers back in. You need to decide what you want out of the system. If you want to add new speakers and amps I would leave the factory HU and just do the Audio Control DQL8. Better yet do the Audison Bit One. That is the best oem intigration unit on the market IMO.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='708514' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:42 AM
I dont think you radio controls will work, as you can not uplugg you factory radio... I would do some research on that...
I guess I have alot of reading to do...
Old 10-31-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by KU530' post='708663' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:43 AM
You can not unplug the factory HU. It is going to have to remain. I put my unit below the factory You are not going to beable to use the factory controls unless you wire the alpine into the aux of the factory HU. If you are not upgrading the speakers and the amps I say dont bother changing the HU out. This car is a PITA to work on when it comes to aftermarket stereos. Trust me I have taken my car apart a few times. I have no fm or am functions in my car unless I plug the factory speakers back in. You need to decide what you want out of the system. If you want to add new speakers and amps I would leave the factory HU and just do the Audio Control DQL8. Better yet do the Audison Bit One. That is the best oem intigration unit on the market IMO.
I have after market amps, speackers and headunit and all wired on its own not touching the factory set up.. how can I hook up the steering wheel control???
Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KU530' post='708663' date='Oct 31 2008, 11:43 AM
Hmm? I thought that through the Hub device I would be able to switch from aftermarket to OEM? Why would you un plug your factory speaker? Why dont you get your radio working? I'm not the one completly installing this, Its a project me and my audio store are gonna tackle. So basiclly it is not worth it? Cuz I have no choice nymore...everything has been ordered and I have 1/2 of everything i need.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

I take it not alot of people have done this mod.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by NextLevel530xi' post='708739' date='Oct 31 2008, 12:49 PM
I take it not alot of people have done this mod.
and the reason is, the factory "radio" isn't just a radio. It's also the controller for the i-drive, so you can't rip it out. you'd lose all stock functionality if you did. If you leave it in and tap into the speaker wiring, you'll lose your chimes and PDC beeps if you have it, because those are routed via the radio. you'll also lose bluetooth for the same reason.

you can replace just the amp and speakers, easier if you don't have Logic7, but still doable if you have it. Output from the stock L7 system to the factory amp is fiber optic, so you'll have to keep that in mind when you rip out the amp.

I have done all sorts of aftermarket installs in all of my cars. This time around, I decided the L7 was sufficient and just installed the factory navigation and dension GW500. one screen in a moving vehicle is already more than enough for me.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

"Output from the stock L7 system to the factory amp is fiber optic, so you'll have to keep that in mind when you rip out the amp."

Does that mean that the wires connecting to my speaker are also fiber optic? I remember someone telling me that they are copper. So..... with this new info I have decided that Im going to simply place the alpine HU under the cd player. Fu%^?*N alpine makes everything seems so easy!! Although I do admit that I was told that Alpine was making the process easier than it seems. My MAIN question is can I simply change from the alpine unit back to the i drive with out loosing anything? ex/ FM/AM bluetooth. You guys seem to be very well experienced so I am taking your opinions seriously and will follow your help!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:29 AM
Senior Members

I did a line out for my system but i had to take it out do to the POS amp I had so now im n the hunt for a new amp

Quick Reply: Project of the YEAR!