DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Problem resetting brake pad service indicator

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: E61 sold nice E91 335i Sport Touring now

Followed a guide and tried to reset the brake pad service warning.

Put key in pos 2 and then held the trip button until the triangle appeared then scrolled through until I got to the brake pad reset.

Held in the button until it asked for 'reset'. Let button go then pressed and held it and the reset interval went to ----- then switched ignition off and its coming up as overdue by -9000 miles!!

Have I done something really silly? Now getting a red warning to take my car to the nearest dealer for brake pads! They are fine and don't need replaced yet!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to change the break sensors
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by aresh' post='870833' date='May 7 2009, 10:38 AM
You need to change the break sensors
Cheers for the reply aresh.

Sounds like a license to print money! Well done BMW. Do they come with new pads or bought sepperate? Please don't tell me they need coded to the car!

I assume you can't disconnect them and reconnect them and the system thinks they've been replaced. I will replace when I replace the brakes. Until then I can live with a warning light. What happened to good old fasioned car mechanics?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

I've just changed the discs and pads on mine.

Did the reset and I too got the -9000 miles. I just did the reset again and it went to +25000 as it should.

So: Try it again - what have you got to lose??

Mike

FWIW - I always considered that at the disc sensor for wear was just a hit or miss - i.e if it got low enough to touch the sensor, the pad renewal woudl go to zero and count down negative from there.
Recently, I was having a blast and using the brakes pretty hard a few times (over a 10 mile stretch). My wear mileage reduced from 4000 miles to 1700 miles in one go.
Having a look at the pads, there was a reasonable amount of wear left in them, but I decided to source the bits and do the job, which I got round to last week. When I took the pads out, I noticed that the wear sensor was just touching the disc, and the sensor contacts were visible. I surmise that this too is a resistive element that counts down (from ~1700 miles) as the sensor wears more.

Anyway, as the discs were below the thickness limit (my car's done 44k on what I assume to be original discs and pads), they were changed too. I ummed and ahhed, but ended up with EBC USR slotted discs and EBC Redstuff pads. Now I cannot hope to fulfill the potential of this setup with my driving style, as I'm just not quick enough, but I reckon that I may, one day, need that braking power, probably when I have the caravan on the back too. That's my theory. The advertised vast redyuction in brake dust is a bonus. The cost, whilst high, is still cheaper than sourcing the bits at a $tealer (230 Great British Pounds for front pads, discs and carriage). Now they are run in, I have used them a little harder (with the caravan on the back!), and whilst they are a little noisier when you press the middle pedal hard, I can live with it. They are silent in normal running (EBC do a more radical disc that thay say is prone to wind noise)

Mike
Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, Orient Blue, M-tech Front, otherwise stock.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/euro/catalog/s...d_pg1.htm#item1

Middle of the page, brake pad sensor. One for the driver's front and one for the passenger rear is all you need. You may have to remove the brake pads to install these though...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Members

Cheers for the replies. Doesn't look too much hassle.

Rear discs and pads were done just before I got the car and the warning is just for the fronts. I'm taking it that it's only 1 sensor on the front left that needs changing.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Yes, there is only one sensor on the front - left side.
You can replace the sensor without taking the pads out - it just pushes in.
However, after you have replaced the sensor (if you do), you will still have to perform the software reset - it's won't go back automatically.
After the reset the pad wear indicator will go to 25000 so you will need to keep an eye on the actual wear.

Mike
Old 05-08-2009, 06:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='872105' date='May 8 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, there is only one sensor on the front - left side.
You can replace the sensor without taking the pads out - it just pushes in.
However, after you have replaced the sensor (if you do), you will still have to perform the software reset - it's won't go back automatically.
After the reset the pad wear indicator will go to 25000 so you will need to keep an eye on the actual wear.

Mike
Thanks Mike.

Car passed its MOT this week but I did notice the front discs had a bit of a lip. MOT guy said they were fine. I'll probably give them 2k miles more then change the discs and pads and sensor then reset. The OBC can just shout at me for the next couple of months!

Need to reset the other warnign I have now.. routine vehicle check I think BMW call it. Another one for those who don't know how to look after their cars. I'd say the MOT covers most of it so its a bit pointless IMO. But what do I know
Old 05-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Members

My discs looked perfectly OK, with little lip and no scoring, but when I got the measuring calipers out, they were under the minimum thickness, so they got changed. Its worth lashing out a quid or so for the disc bolt (one per side). I had little problem with mine, but if you have to attack it with a chisel to undo it, then it's worth having one around!. They aren't tapered like on most other cars, so they won't "grab" as much.

Mike
Old 05-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='872464' date='May 8 2009, 07:19 PM
My discs looked perfectly OK, with little lip and no scoring, but when I got the measuring calipers out, they were under the minimum thickness, so they got changed. Its worth lashing out a quid or so for the disc bolt (one per side). I had little problem with mine, but if you have to attack it with a chisel to undo it, then it's worth having one around!. They aren't tapered like on most other cars, so they won't "grab" as much.

Mike
I'm kind of toying with upping them to 348mm discs and calipers. Had thought M5 but the discs are silly ??$$. If I could get a decent set of calipers I'd consider that over sticking to the 310mm ones

Quick Reply: Problem resetting brake pad service indicator