DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Power Steering Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

Hi,

Can someone please confirm if this can be done on a 2006 BMW 530i (N52)? I have ARS and Active Steering features on my car. Also, is it even possible to turn the steering wheel counter-clock wise and counter wise to bleed the system without the engine running?

Thanks in advance! :

Originally Posted by Rizbel
While the car is up on jack stands I figure I'll do a quick power steering flush (not a 100% flush, I only use a can of Pentosin CH-11S).
Here's how I did it.
Attachment 122554
Open power steering reservoir and leave cap off.
Put a pail to catch fluid. The quick disconnect is right next to the radiator drain petcock.

Attachment 122555
To disconnect line push to release (red) and pull hose off (blue).
With engine off, work steering wheel full clockwise and counterclockwise to evacuate old fluid from the system.

Attachment 122557

Attachment 122556
Add fluid to proper level. With cap on, start the engine to circulate fluid by working steering wheel clockwise and counterclockwise a few times.
Turn engine off and check reservoir for proper fluid level.

Attachment 122558
Old 08-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Glad I read this thread. Have AS and was thinknig about using ATF fluid.

I'm going to change the filter that I got from bavauto as well. They have a good DIY video showing removal of the filter/reservoir and refilling/extracting oil till clear. I'll go the extra step drain from the bottom.
Thx
CVT
Old 08-17-2013, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Changed the fluid and filter yesterday. Couple of thoughts.

1. Used a fluid pump to drain the reservoir. Narrow tube is good because you can get at the bottom of the reservoir. Much better than a baster. Used a cut in half gallon milk container for collection.
2. Referenced a Bavauto DIY video. Note. The e60 550 doesn't have a mounting bracket like the video and the reservoir is on the left side. I removed two hoses on radiator overflow and two mounting torqx bolts (25 I think). Lifted the radiator overflow tank up and tilted toward the front to get at the steering reservoir.
3. Instead of taking the reservoir off now, go under the car and drain via tube next to the radiator drain pet cock. There's a cool fitting there. A ring clip must be pushed forward and this widens the clip in the another ring fitting for removal. Have a wide catch basin for the fluid. I recommend you put the engine tray panel under to catch spills. Front was on jackstands and put the ignition on and slowly turned wheels side to side. More Fluid out. Ars warning light came on but no Worries.
4. Tighten everything under the car and then put the new filter on. Removal is easy. The over engineered clamps are easy to get off and the wire plug too. Have the cut in half milk container ready. Fluid still in the old filter. There are two rubber gommets you must switch from old filter to the new with two small metal cores. Push out with your thumb from the smaller diameter end. Likewise insert the small end first on the filter. Used two different sized metal clamps with screws on the filter hoses.
5. Refill with a full liter of pentosin cf11s. Start the car and move the wheels. You'll hear a whine at first and warning light will still be on. Add another half liter of fluid and turn the wheels. Then top off as the fluid begins to rise noticeably inside the reservoir. Check level with cap. Now use the baster to see your fluid.

Final thoughts. Was surprised at how oil I removed and how much new oil was put in. Don't remove the filter before draining from the bottom. At 70k, the fluid was dirty but probably still ok. The new green fluid did get darker as old fluid remained. But not bad and only a little. I didn't do a second flush either. There was nearly two full liters of new pentosin added. The active steer might require more fluid. I reckon the reservoir holds 2/3 of the fluid and the tubes/steering pump the rest.

Given the added complexity of active steer, I'm glad to change the filter/reservoir and do a full drain. With so much fluid in the reservoir, you'd waste a lot oil pentosin flushing and reflushing using the Bavauto method. Similarly, a lot of fluid would be trapped in the old filter/reservoir, so I'm glad this was removed. Good for another 50 to 70k. Will do with the next tranny oil change. The e60 is a quality piece and a joy to service.

Cheers CVT

Last edited by CVTBenhogan; 08-18-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i

I did this (see video below) to my 2006 530i today with one can of CHF11S and got great result. Prior to doing this, my car seems to vibrate at idle (with the speedometer moving up and down about 1/2 centimeter ). Upon completion, my car runs a lot smoother and the vibration seems to lessen. I am the original owner and did the flush at 80,200 miles. I am going to buy one more can of CHF11S tomorrow and do another flush to see if I can completely get rid of the vibration when the car idles at around 600 RPM.

Because I am so happy with the result, I recommend everyone to give it a try. A can of CHF11s at NAPA only cost $22.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i JB4

Thanks for this. I used the video version of the removal because afraid getting oil all over the place when unplugging by the coolant drain. Only did the one time change and used about .9L fluid. Can't confirm how much old fluid I was able to actually suck out. Reservoir fluid is snowy green after driving around some. Not much difference in steering feel at 92k miles.

Thanks again
Old 08-03-2014, 03:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

So today I drained and flushed my power steering (2006 530i e60 N52 w/Dynamic Drive).

Strangely I did not have a radiator drain plug near the line for the P/S cooler!

I used a hand pump and completely sucked out the P/S reservoir. That fluid was dirty, dark, and it stank!

I then went under, cleaned the connector area for the cooler line, and realized that the push connection is a tough one!

I twisted it slightly left and right a bit and then took a large pair of pliars, moved to the large jaw position, and then put the pliars over the pipe behind the movable plastic collar on the fitting, and while pushing on the hose itself slightly towards the front I pushed with the pliars towards the connector. Bingo. It moved off beautifully.

I let it drain for about 30 mins but was not a ton since I had first drained the reservoir.

I put the key in and turned the S/W L & R about 6-8 times, and the Dynamic Drive unit pushed out a good bit more.

Replaced the reservoir and used new SS clamps.

I then cleaned the dripping connection on the cooler and reinstalled it, put a liter of Pentosin CH11S into the reservoir as my bride turned the wheel L & R. Did NOT have the engine running at this point.

Did this for a while and kept adding 11S.

When reservoir was nearly full, put cap on. had my bride start the vehicle and continue to turn L & R.

No warning lights probably due to turning the wheel so much w/o engine running.

Took it off jack stands, let in run a while, and topped it off .

It is working great.

Many thanks to the wizards who contributed here.

This is as important a flush as it is for the transmission.

Last edited by gcalo; 08-03-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

There in no drain next the radiator on my car. I think the best way is to remove the cover under the passenger wheel well and disconnect the main line by the dynamic drive unit. Drains the fluids from both sides from reservoir and rear wheel.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM
New Members

Are we talking about a P/S drain line not being present?

If so what year/model is yours?
Old 08-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by gcalo
Are we talking about a P/S drain line not being present?

If so what year/model is yours?
Mine is 05 545i
Power steering is sealed system and 'lifetime' by BMW And there is no drain as far as I know.
I did mine through the dynamic drive distributor unit by pass wheel. It is easiest way you just remove the wheel and disconnect the line.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:47 PM
New Members

Giver me the last 7 of your VIN and I will look this up.

I will check that location.

Strange your car would not have a drain.

Don't buy the "lifetime" business from BMW.

ZF has already quashed that for the 6 speed auto tranny!

Quick Reply: Power Steering Flush