DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Posted this on the main board about Sprintbooster issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550, Sport/Navi/etceteraetcetera

Installed the Sprintbooster in my '06 550 the other day. Initially I installed it incorrectly (put the pins in wrong) and the car had a rough start, immediately stalled and wouldn't restart (just cranked). I figured out the problem with the install and, after correcting it, everything runs great but every time I start it I get the "Engine Malfunction. Reduced Power" lite, which stays on the entire time the car is running. There is no reduced power or any noticeable difference in the way the car operates, other than the fact that the Sprintbooster certainly changes pedal response.

So far I have:

Driven over 100 miles.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Sprintbooster.
Uninstalled the Sprintbooster, reconnected the original wiring, and then reinstalled the Sprintbooster.
Taken it by 2 Auto Zones to have the code cleared, but both times the code did not register on their equipment so they said they couldn't clear it.
Done the 25 second tranny reset.

I assume this is just a computer issue, but if anyone has thoughts otherwise let me know. If it is a computer issue, how do I clear it without going to the dealer?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I vaguely recalled someone having a similar issue like yours and they had brought it to the dealer to have the fault code cleared and it worked. Seems like you tried that with Auto Zone so not sure what the difference is. Bumping this thread up so hopefully someone else can chime in to help you.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='890367' date='May 26 2009, 09:34 AM
I vaguely recalled someone having a similar issue like yours and they had brought it to the dealer to have the fault code cleared and it worked. Seems like you tried that with Auto Zone so not sure what the difference is. Bumping this thread up so hopefully someone else can chime in to help you.
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to avoid the dealer because the car is still under warranty for another year and I don't want to catch any crap from them about the 'Booster. The guy from Auto Zone said that some faults (like this one apparently) have to be cleared by the dealer (or maybe a mechanic, but not Auto Zone). Worst case scenario I can uninstall the 'Booster and run by the dealer and have the fault cleared, just looking for a simpler solution.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I understand wanting to avoid the dealer but I would just take out the SB and go to the dealer and just say the fault code came up out of nowhere. They will never know the SB was installed.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='890376' date='May 26 2009, 09:46 AM
I understand wanting to avoid the dealer but I would just take out the SB and go to the dealer and just say the fault code came up out of nowhere. They will never know the SB was installed.
Yep, that's the option I'm going with.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='890376' date='May 26 2009, 09:46 AM
+1. Take the SB out and any other mods u have related to the engine out. they have to their own BMW code thing to cancel it and not some OBD2 sensor.