DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Oil and Oil Change questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I am looking for a recommendation on oil, I have been using Royal Purple for years and love the properties (better lubrication and fuel economy), has anyone used this on the E60?
Also, has anyone used a supplemental lubricant like ZMax? Any issues/benefits?
Thanks,
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i manual
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

hmm i use bmw syn. oil but i was using mobil 1 syn before and it works fine.. the engine is smooth and everything runs great
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='883249' date='May 19 2009, 03:00 PM
I am looking for a recommendation on oil, I have been using Royal Purple for years and love the properties (better lubrication and fuel economy), has anyone used this on the E60?
Also, has anyone used a supplemental lubricant like ZMax? Any issues/benefits?
Thanks,
Good question... I have used Lucas Oil for years on my other car. I know these type of "add-ons" oils are suppose to be compatible with a synthetic oils, but I want to hear from a guy who is currently using this on their E60. Anybody???
Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530 Steptronic, Nav, Std Audio w/ single CD, Premium Pkg, BMW Assist, non-working Bluetooth

If you're using a top quality synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or the BMW oil, you don't need to add anything. The top oils are formulated to a performance standard, and they don't try too hard to cut corners on the cost of additives.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Contributors

dont add anything to your oil.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='885079' date='May 20 2009, 07:42 PM
dont add anything to your oil.

Ok, so Z-Max is out, but has anyone used Royal Purple in their car? The dealer said it would be fine.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:11 AM
ukr
Members

My Ride: 530i n52
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='885907' date='May 21 2009, 06:14 PM
Ok, so Z-Max is out, but has anyone used Royal Purple in their car? The dealer said it would be fine.

My dad is on his second oil change with Royal Purple.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Members

If you are going to add anything to your oil just make sure its synthetic and even then I would not do it. If you add a mineral based additive it will burn at a much lower temp and will go bad faster then the synthetics. Trust me when I say this use Castrol synthetic or BMW synthetic and do your oil changes on time and your engine will be sludge free.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Ok, Here is what I did - I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 (6.9 qts as indicated here in the forum). I also used the instructions for resetting the annoying indicator on my dash and it worked beautifully.
The problem I had - and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue - I jacked up the left side of my car and removed the cover for the oil drain plug. I removed the plug and began to drain the oil, and what happened next was an ecological disaster. The oil did go into the drain pan I had there, however, it also happened to run down the entire underbody panels (the plastic panels bolted to the body under the car) and drain from several points creating a nasty pool in my driveway.
Is there any way to prevent this? Do I have to remove a few of these panels next time? Because I had oil coming out from everywhere from behind the engine to in front of the right rear wheel. I still have more cleanup to do. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' 530 Alpine/Auburn/Dark walnut, Sport, Premium, Sirius, 35% Tint Upcomming mods: M166's/Exclaim UHP's, Mtech

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='890733' date='May 26 2009, 04:00 PM
Ok, Here is what I did - I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 (6.9 qts as indicated here in the forum). I also used the instructions for resetting the annoying indicator on my dash and it worked beautifully.
The problem I had - and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue - I jacked up the left side of my car and removed the cover for the oil drain plug. I removed the plug and began to drain the oil, and what happened next was an ecological disaster. The oil did go into the drain pan I had there, however, it also happened to run down the entire underbody panels (the plastic panels bolted to the body under the car) and drain from several points creating a nasty pool in my driveway.
Is there any way to prevent this? Do I have to remove a few of these panels next time? Because I had oil coming out from everywhere from behind the engine to in front of the right rear wheel. I still have more cleanup to do. Any ideas?
I heard guy's on the board warn about this, I would think you would have to come up with some kind of shield that would allow the oil to splash up against it and then run into the catch pan, you will probably have to fabricate something unless the other members know of something better. I'm going to do my first oil change on this car, and I hope to god to avoid this.

Quick Reply: Oil and Oil Change questions