DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

OEM Hi-Fi Amplifier retrofit after CIC retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 12:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we finished the rewiring of the old hifi system to the newer version.
There is one problem occuring.
The the old sub outs were were pinned into the accordingplaces (pin3 , pin 4 & pin 22,pin23)
However there is no sound coming from the subs.
Also we noticed that the rear sound is much louder than the front sound.
Is there anything to be known regarding cic coding or else?
Old 09-29-2022, 04:04 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by miloka
So we finished the rewiring of the old hifi system to the newer version.
There is one problem occuring.
The the old sub outs were were pinned into the accordingplaces (pin3 , pin 4 & pin 22,pin23)
However there is no sound coming from the subs.
Also we noticed that the rear sound is much louder than the front sound.
Is there anything to be known regarding cic coding or else?
There could be some miscommunication due to a difference in my wording and your understanding. Let me clarify some things, and you can confirm for me if each is the case for you:
  1. The Quad-Lock Connector on the CCC had only speaker outputs intended to go directly to the speakers, except for the case of the subwoofers.
    1. In the case of the subwoofers, the CCC quadlock connector had only line-level outputs intended for the small amplifier.
    2. The small amplifier sent the speaker level outputs to the subwoofers instead.
  2. The Quad-Lock connector on the CIC has only line-level outputs that can function for the speakers (inappropriately), but which are each intended for the larger amplifier.
    1. There are 4 line-level input channels on the amplifier, coming from the CIC quad-lock: Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, and Rear Right.
  3. The larger amplifier has 6 channel outputs: Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, Sub Left, and Sub Right

You should have performed the following process (which I did),

PLEASE NOTE YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO THE LOCATION OF THE PINS ON THE CCC QUAD-LOCK VS THE CIC QUAD-LOCK AS THE SPEAKERS MOVED
  1. REMOVE PINS 1 through 8
    1. The wire connected to these pin locations are connected directly to speakers for the CCC, but are now only line-level outputs for the CIC that should go directly to the large amplifier; we must replace them.
    2. Label them as you remove them. You may cut them off, because the speaker-wires won't need the pins - so unless you have new pins to crimp onto the new wire(s), it works just as well to cut them and splice new wire into the pin-leads from the original wires left after cutting.
      1. Cut them a few inches behind the male pins, so that you will be able to splice new wire into them ( you'll label the new wire you splice into them by the CIC diagram, but remember to label the old existing remaining wire by the CCC diagram as you go).
    3. When you remove the rear speaker's wires from the quad-lock, go ahead and pull the pins right out (you'll still need to cut them off to splice the rear speaker's wires into the front speaker's wires).
      1. You will be using the sub-woofer's line-level channel outputs from the CCC quadlock and moving them to the rear speaker pin positions. You won't need to cut those, they can be removed and pushed right back into the quad-lock at the rear speaker's locations (sub-left to rear-left and sub-right to rear-right).
  2. REMOVE PINS 31, 32, 37, 38
    1. These wires are the sub-woofer's line-level outputs to the small amplifier. We will re-purpose them (as mentioned in 1.3.1) as the rear channel line-level outputs to the larger amp (they have thicker insulation, better to remove noise).
    2. Label these as you remove them
  3. MOVE old wire+pin 31 (sub-left + by CCC) to pin location 4 (rear-left + by CIC), and wire+pin 38 (sub-left - by CCC) to pin location 8 (rear-left - by CIC)
  4. MOVE old wire+pin 32 (sub-right + by CCC) to pin location 1 (rear-right + by CIC), and wire+pin 37 (sub-right - by CCC) to pin location 5 (rear-right - by CIC)
  5. SPLICE old wire from pin location 7 (rear-left -) to old wire from pin location 8 (front-left -), and old wire from pin location 3 (rear-left +) to old wire from pin location 4 (front-left +). The rear left speaker now is spliced into the front left speaker (this is correct!).
  6. SPLICE old wire from pin location 6 (rear-right -) to old wire from pin location 5 (front-right -), and old wire from pin location 2 (rear-right +) to old wire from pin location 1 (front-right +). The rear right speaker now is spliced into the front right speaker (this is correct!).
  7. SPLICE new wire onto old wire+pin in pin location 7 (front-left - by CIC), and another onto old wire+pin in pin location 3 (front-left + by CIC). This is your new front-left line-level output to run to the new larger amplifier.
  8. SPLICE new wire onto old wire+pin in pin location 6 (front-right - by CIC), and another onto old wire+pin in pin location 2 (front-right + by CIC). This is your new front-right line-level output to run to the new larger amplifier.
  9. RUN the 4 new wires behind the CIC, above the panel under the steering wheel and along the main wiring harness as it runs to the driver's side, entering the floor molding back by the LMA and running it all the way back by the rear seat. Leave some feet of slack (you could actually run this wire from the trunk, up to the CIC - as I did).
  10. You are now done in the Quad-Lock Connector
    1. Verify you have moved any other pins needed such as power, ground, remote, video/tv, etc.
    2. When done, close up the CIC, put dash back together. I highly recommend soldering your wires and using heat shrink tubing. Make professional splices!
  11. POP the molding on the floor side of the driver's side rear seat, to expose the main wiring harness before it enters into the wire guard that brings it into the trunk.
    1. NOTE: IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU TAKE YOUR TIME TO FIND THE RIGHT WIRES. PLEASE EXAMINE THE WIRES CONNECTING TO THE SPEAKERS ON THE REAR SHELF FIRST - NOTE THE COLORS
    2. Locate the wires you noted were connected to the rear speakers, all 4 of them (left +/-, right +/-) and, looking at the rear seats length from seat back to seat front, cut them at the mid-way point (label them!).
    3. Run 8 new wires from the trunk to the mid-way point along-side the rear seat where you cut the rear speaker wires and splice the new wires into them. label them in the trunk:
      1. ​​​​​​​4 will connect to the remainder that goes to behind the CIC, and will become the front speaker wires (left and right +/-).
      2. 4 will connect to the remainder that goes to the rear speakers in the rear shelf (left and right +/-).
      3. In both cases, the 8 new wires will connect directly to the new amplifier.
  12. ​​​​​​​I bought a used newer larger amplifier that still had its main connector with a 6-inch lead of a pig-tail left. I then spliced every wire I ran back according to the diagram:​​​​​​​
    1. ​​​​​​​The wires prepped in steps 3 and 4 became the Rear Channel Inputs on the new amplifier
    2. The wires prepped in steps 7 through 9 became the Front Channel Inputs on the new amplifier
    3. The wires prepped in 10.3.2 were connected to the Rear Channel Outputs on the new amplifier
    4. The wires prepped in step 10.3.1 were connected to the Front Channel Outputs on the new amplifier
    5. I moved the wires that went directly to the subwoofers from the old amp connector to the right places on the new amp connector:
      1. CUT wire at pin location ​​​​​​​8 (sub-left + by CCC amp) and SPLICE it into wire+pin at pin location 4 on gray connector (sub-left + by CIC amp)
      2. CUT wire at pin location 18 (sub-left - by CCC amp) and SPLICE it into wire+pin at pin location 3 on gray connector (sub-left - by CIC amp)
      3. CUT wire at pin location 6 (sub-right + by CCC amp) and SPLICE it into wire+pin at pin location 22/1 on black connector (sub-right + by CIC amp)
      4. CUT wire at pin location 16 (sub-right - by CCC amp) and SPLICE it into wire+pin at pin location 23/2 on black connector (sub-right - by CIC amp)
  13. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​You are now done.

Let me know if you are at this same point. I am sorry I didnt upload the changes yet, I do remember that I had to swap left to right on the front and/or back - and its quite possible that I had a input/output pair in reverse as well;

I have my 530xi opened up so I can see the system, I'll try to verify the connections (I labelled everything using heat shrink tubing) at the connectors to ensure positions and get that uploaded today with some pictures.

The following 2 users liked this post by kirvedx:
miloka (09-29-2022), Tomurka (09-30-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 11:07 PM
Members

Thank you for the detailed write up.

I understood the concept of this retrofit using the pre existing wiring.

Knowing my way around wiring diagrams this was not hard to do.

Unfortunately, mistakes here and there happen.

Long and behold i managed to get it working. I had mistakenly left front speakers connected to cic instead of connecting them to the 4 wires i had drawn from the amp output to the front which lead to a poor soundstage.

Instead i had connected the the 4 wires to the rear input signal which created a loop canceling out the subs. So basically i had front output connected to rear input.

As the solution i pulled the front speaker wires out the cic and connected them to the 4 output wires and put the rear in wires back to the cic so it delivered the pre amp signal to the amp.
Now everything works as it should.Fader and Balance adjustments were confirming the correct connection of all wiring.

Last edited by miloka; 10-01-2022 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61

So if you made it according to instructions and you find there are some mistakes and you solved it - can you finaly share with me which wires were connected wrong and how it should be? I mean for example front right in cic AMP is at pin 8 not 6, or something like that. Im going to do it next week

Thank you for the detailed write up.

I understood the concept of this retrofit using the pre existing wiring.

Knowing my way around wiring diagrams this was not hard to do.

Unfortunately, mistakes here and there happen.

Long and behold i managed to get it working. I had mistakenly left front speakers connected to cic instead of connecting them to the 4 wires i had drawn from the amp output to the front which lead to a poor soundstage.

Instead i had connected the the 4 wires to the rear input signal which created a loop canceling out the subs. So basically i had front output connected to rear input.

As the solution i pulled the front speaker wires out the cic and connected them to the 4 output wires and put the rear in wires back to the cic so it delivered the pre amp signal to the amp.
Now everything works as it should.Fader and Balance adjustments were confirming the correct connection of all wiring.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Tomurka
So if you made it ....
In case you did not retrofit it up to now.
The wiring plan provided by kirvedx is accurate but only front l+r Input has to be switched with front l+r output.
Just chnge the IN with OUT.
The mistakes i made were due to my own misreading of the plan. I rechecked and noticed the that i did not wire it like in the plan.
So if you change the mentioned error and tick to kirvedx plan you ll be fine.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:42 AM
New Members

Thank you by Fast answer. So the last question, despite its logical, but lets make it 100% easy to understand for my and for another People who will be doing it with this instruction in the future- i have to change input and output in amplifer (both side of front speakers). So left should be still left however Just change in with out (+ and - are correct) and the same in the other side?

If i understand it correct Just answer Yes, Thank you again

In case you did not retrofit it up to now.
The wiring plan provided by kirvedx is accurate but only front l+r Input has to be switched with front l+r output.
Just chnge the IN with OUT.
The mistakes i made were due to my own misreading of the plan. I rechecked and noticed the that i did not wire it like in the plan.
So if you change the mentioned error and tick to kirvedx plan you ll be fine.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:33 PM
Members

Yes, you got it right.
In this thread there is also a picture of the original ssp for the hifi amp.
If you recheck kirvedx plan with the original plan and focus on the front in & out you ll notice the error.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:20 AM
New Members

Hi, one more question. Do you know where are connected wires from subwoofers in base audio system in e61 with CIC? If i have cic a see that there are only 8 outputs from cic to speakers- front and rear. Whats with subwoofers?
Old 10-25-2022, 08:24 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI, CIC/Combox/TPMS Retrofit (CCC M-ASK Orig)
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Tomurka
Hi, one more question. Do you know where are connected wires from subwoofers in base audio system in e61 with CIC? If i have cic a see that there are only 8 outputs from cic to speakers- front and rear. Whats with subwoofers?
The subwoofers are filtered off of the Low Level Line Input by the amp. The same Low Level Line Inputs feed the rear speakers and the subwoofers; so the output to the rear speakers and the subwoofers are from the amplifier - not the CIC itself. The CIC only outputs Line Level outputs that serve as inputs to the amplifier - that then filters them into the lows mids and highs that the amp needs and powers the signals to the appropriate speakers.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:02 AM
New Members

Thank you, but you didnt understand me. Currently i have the original cic with basic audio. There are speakers in the front, rear and subwoofers and Currently all of them are connected to radio. The issue is that i see in your picture that there are only 8 outputs from cic (i know that your picture is correct for hifi system level, and that they are connected to amplifer which separate it to all speakers- front rear and subs). But my question is- do you maybr know where are connected subs in my current audio system- basic? Are there in the same place as in ccc- 31 32 37 and 38 or in some other place ar maybe they are connected to another speakers (as tweeters)?

Originally Posted by kirvedx
The subwoofers are filtered off of the Low Level Line Input by the amp. The same Low Level Line Inputs feed the rear speakers and the subwoofers; so the output to the rear speakers and the subwoofers are from the amplifier - not the CIC itself. The CIC only outputs Line Level outputs that serve as inputs to the amplifier - that then filters them into the lows mids and highs that the amp needs and powers the signals to the appropriate speakers.

Quick Reply: OEM Hi-Fi Amplifier retrofit after CIC retrofit