DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

In need of Help "Agian"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Recentley I installed a AFE intake on my 05 530i....Well after modifying it all "was" well and I have to say I love it. Needless to say MPG sucks a bit, but I can live with that, given the increase in performance. Well, 2 weeks later my Check engine light just came on. This morning actually on the way to work. The code is "Increased emmisions", I KNOW it has to do with the intake. I have searched the world over on these forums for someone with the same issue, but to no avail. I did read somewhere that someone else had this issue and was told to "remap" their computer. Ok, so.....what does that mean? I am once agian screwed due to my dealer, its not in warrenty state and they wont touch it I'm sure. What do I do now, besides buy a stock intake tube put it all back together agian and then take it to the dealer to have the code reset.

Thanks for reading,

Sincerley,

"Screwed yet agian"
Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Members

My Ride: Jet Black 2005 530i stock for now.....

i recently had the same message come on too, thankfully my car is still under warranty, so i took it in. the dealer later told me that it was an alternator failure that caused the increased emissions message to appear. they did some reprogramming and now is everything is fine.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

alternator failure can signal a lot of other failure which are not actually bad but the battery controller shuts them off to keep the engine running as the battery is not being charged. So first thing the vehicle would do if there is a low battery it would show a sign of battery without a DING, then it would should BATTERY VERY LOW, then if there is a failure it would show BATTERY NOT BEING CHARGED.

The signal you are getting could be also related to the O2 sensor and not the intake. Someone here please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Members

Well I got it scanned via a friend at a local BMW shop and suprise suprise suprise.....

Code 0x2882 (10370)

Mixture preparation Bank:1 Below minimum threshold : present at time of request : Warning lamp on

Whats odd is, he cant figure out why the "mixture" would be below threshold when we increased the air flow. The computer via scan actually is dumping more fuel to the point I can see my fuel gauge needle move when I floor it.

What I have come to realize in my short ownership period is, BMW is way over engineered and if you "attempt" to modify anything the vehicle will react adversley. Sooo sad....

Thanks for the replies tho.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by Sinsu' post='547663' date='Mar 19 2008, 04:04 PM
Well I got it scanned via a friend at a local BMW shop and suprise suprise suprise.....

Code 0x2882 (10370)

Mixture preparation Bank:1 Below minimum threshold : present at time of request : Warning lamp on

Whats odd is, he cant figure out why the "mixture" would be below threshold when we increased the air flow. The computer via scan actually is dumping more fuel to the point I can see my fuel gauge needle move when I floor it.

What I have come to realize in my short ownership period is, BMW is way over engineered and if you "attempt" to modify anything the vehicle will react adversley. Sooo sad....

Thanks for the replies tho.

It might be trying to throw more fuel into the mixture seeing the increase in O2??
Old 03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Try to clean the MAF sensor, maybe?
Old 03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi' post='547732' date='Mar 19 2008, 05:31 PM
Try to clean the MAF sensor, maybe?
That will be the next step I take come Monday next week. I have ordered the stock intake from our friends at Newport BMW. Very cool people btw....It will arrive monday I hope, and will go back to stock. When I take it all apart agian I will clean the MAF....

To that note, I found this which I am very excited about and it comes out tomorrow.....05 owners get some love.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/show_...t=Coming%20Soon

Sweet zombie Jesus!