DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

My LED panel reverse light DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey guys just thought I would share a DIY on this great mod that was very cheap to do and quite easy.

So I bought the panels from khoalty for very cheap and also got the resistors for cheap. So the items you need are:
2 LED panels
2 resistors
some solder and a solder iron
some wiring if the resistors did not come with any attached
hot glue gun

So first I cut 2 strips of solder which I hot glued to the back of the LED panels, you can use something different as well as long as its flexible and twistable.

My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0132.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0133.jpg

use some tape to cover the glue
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0136.jpg

Take off the rear taillight housing, I don't have pics of this but basically open trunk remove to plastic plugs that hold cover on then remove bulb holder and remove 4 nuts that hold the housing to the car then the housing will just slide off.

here is the housing
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0134.jpg

peel the foam back a bit, and use some pliers to pull the metal plate out this will give you a little bit more room to work

My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0135.jpg

Now take the LED panel and bend the solder sticks that you just glued on and work it into the reverse light spot and twist the 2 ends together around the plastic part. I know I'm not really explaining this well hopefully the picture will help
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0137.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0138.jpg

Now to connect the resistors first solder some wire to the risistors
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0139.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0142.jpg

Now take the light bulb holder (plastic plug that holds the reverse bulbs) and notch out a little notch on the back part to make room for the wires to be attached.
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0140.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0141.jpg

Now solder the wires to the metal tabs on the bulb holders
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0144.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0143.jpg

Now take the plugs to the car and put them back in the light rack, put the taillight housing back in and connect the LED panels and put everything back together.
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0146.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0145.jpg

and finished product
My LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0149.jpgMy LED panel reverse light DIY-img_0150.jpg

Hope this DIY helps sorry if it wasn't very thorough (my first time trying to post a DIY)