DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

My ipod "hardwire" install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I say "hardwire" because its really not hardwired, it just looks that way. I bought the kuda mount off of ebay. It's at a perfect angle and its wrapped in leather so it blends in well with the rest of the interior. Instead of using an ipod mount or any universal mount, i decided to use the iGrip sticky pad (not really sticky) and cut it to fit the Kuda mount. This way, theres no bulky holster or mounting device. I just put the ipod on top and the iGrip holds on to it. As for the wiring, i used the Monster iCar Charger like Stream used but instead of hardwiring it, i just used the 12v plug in the passenger footwell underneath the glove compartment. Then i just tucked in the wires an viola! A nice clean look that doesn't require any splicing of wires yet it has the look of it being hardwired. What do you guys think?

BTW, its the new Ipod Video

Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='201671' date='Nov 22 2005, 12:47 AM
I say "hardwire" because its really not hardwired, it just looks that way. I bought the kuda mount off of ebay. It's at a perfect angle and its wrapped in leather so it blends in well with the rest of the interior. Instead of using an ipod mount or any universal mount, i decided to use the iGrip sticky pad (not really sticky) and cut it to fit the Kuda mount. This way, theres no bulky holster or mounting device. I just put the ipod on top and the iGrip holds on to it. As for the wiring, i used the Monster iCar Charger like Stream used but instead of hardwiring it, i just used the 12v plug in the passenger footwell underneath the glove compartment. Then i just tucked in the wires an viola! A nice clean look that doesn't require any splicing of wires yet it has the look of it being hardwired. What do you guys think?

BTW, its the new Ipod Video

You have a Power outlet in the passenger footwell, is this an option? I dont have one, just looked and its no sign... anyone have any info please
Old 01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I believe that only the US cars have that option.

David
Old 02-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Members

My Ride: in 2005... a completly crashed Audi A4 3.0 Quattro. ... 24th Jan. 2006... a new 530xd Touring

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='221539' date='Jan 9 2006, 07:02 PM

David

MEGA SHIT !

'cause I just bought a Belkin Auto Kit for Ipod... and I was sure I had a Power outlet in the passenger footwell !!!
big mistake my dear...!

Now, as the cd charger is (when you have one..) there, could someone tell me where I could find a 12v power source in this area in order to let me "build" something that could be assimilated to a Power outlet...?
Old 02-07-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by boubou' post='236294

David

MEGA SHIT !

'cause I just bought a Belkin Auto Kit for Ipod... and I was sure I had a Power outlet in the passenger footwell !!!
big mistake my dear...!

Now, as the cd charger is (when you have one..) there, could someone tell me where I could find a 12v power source in this area in order to let me "build" something that could be assimilated to a Power outlet...?
[/quote]

Im installing a power source from the rear cigarette lighters between the seats. Again this was an option, or if you ordered an upgrade to your trim ( I went for Black maple).

Heres my Nano Install so far..
My ipod "hardwire" install-ipod.jpg

I need to fit it into the car when it comes back from a reprog
Old 02-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

YEEHAW! Well, you learn something every day.

I just crawled up under the passenger footweel to take a look and...YES! I have POWER!

That's a very nice, unexpected suprise!

I'm very happy...P O W E R! My 545i has more power than I expected! YEA!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Franko' post='242734' date='Feb 19 2006, 05:24 PM

I just crawled up under the passenger footweel to take a look and...YES! I have POWER!

No such luck in mine, I think its a 545 thing, I had to tap into the rear power (stream style), my Ipod Nano is now powered and runs really well throught the Aux so got there in the end.

My ipod "hardwire" install-ipod_014.jpg
Old 02-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Franko' post='242734' date='Feb 19 2006, 09:24 AM

You've also got one in your trunk!
Old 03-06-2006, 07:16 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i (10/03) Sport, 6, bk/bk, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Active Headlights, Tinted Windows, Clear Bra! Winter wheels 'plastic dipped'

Originally Posted by stream' post='242767' date='Feb 19 2006, 11:29 AM
You've also got one in your trunk!
Sure do! Tailgating prospects are looking up! Can't wait to crank up the 12V blender before my favorite college football team plays!