DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

My DVB-T / XBox installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d E61, M-Package in Carbonblack, DVB-T and X-Box installed
Cool

Hi,

I would like to present my finalized (after about 5 month) multimedia installation in my BMW E61.

After ordering the Car I thought about
  • TV while driving for the passengers
  • MP3 listening for everybody
  • Movies for the passengers
Due to the costs of the BMW TV option (DVB-T (digital TV)) and the fact, that the TV image is not shown while driving it was no option for me. Also the standard MP3 capability of BMW is nice, but not really what I was looking for.
Thanks to Hobi's Video Interface test I got aware of how to use the iDrive Monitor (I've the prof. Version with 8.8") for external sources.

Finally my Installation is as follows:
  • Video Interface by TVandNav2go
  • BMW AUX-IN
  • Xantech IR Repeater System
  • Audio/Video cables from the front to the spare-wheel well in the trunk
  • a modded XBox using the XBoxMediaCenter (XBMC) with an own Skin
  • Diversity DVB-T (TV) Tuner
As the dealer had to open the front of the car for the AuxIn installation anyhow I made a good deal to get the complete wiring including the video interface installation. Totally my dealer installed
  • the video interface
  • the IR Sensor and Xantech repeater
  • a wiring for Audio, Video and IR from the front dashboard to the spare-wheel well in the trunk
  • placed a 12V steady plus
I'm sure Hobi would have done this on his own

OK, so the Video and Audio connection into the BMW Radio (Hifi package) and the iDrive Monitor was there. What was next.

MP3 / Movies
As a source for my MP3s and Movies I choosed that what I use at home: A modded XBox. After modification, a free mediacenter software called XBoxMediaCenter (XBMC) is running on the Box using an up to 500GB HD (I've 250GB installed). The Box can play nearly any Audio-Format (not iTunes), any Video Format (incl. DivX) and show pictures (and much more if installed at home with internet connection ).
The problem was the power. The XBox uses 220 (or 110V depending on where you are). I used a transformator using 12V of the car and makes 220V out of it. This works fine, but caused some other issues. The Transformator in the spare-wheel well caused a heating problem if located there together with the XBox. That's why I put it into the left trunk case so it's not visible at once. This solved the heating problem (which was based on XBox and the Transformator pushing each other).
The next problem was the fact, that the car uses all battery power when starting. This causes the transformator to switch of - and so the XBox. So I had to install a buffer battery. I installed a 22aH motorcycle battery (12V) and some relais including a time relais to shutoff everything 10min. after ignition off. As a ignition signal I took the 12V plug in the trunk which is switched on by the car on ignition only.

DVB-T (TV)
The diversity Tuner was installed in the spare-wheel well as well. The Xbox is connected to it's video in as I've only one video wire to the front.
The Antennas are installed in the back side windows (one horizontally, on vertically). The wire is put through some chinks so it's only visible shortly before the window.
The tuner is astonishing good and provides a stable tv picture (if you're in the right area) up to 200km/h.

How to listen / where to watch
Ok, the sound is transfered into the BMW radio via AuxIn. But what if - on a long trip - the driver wants to listen to the radio/cd, while the passengers want to see a movie?
For that i've installed an 8" Monitor on the end of the arm rest using a BRODIT holder. The allows me to remove it so nothing can be seen when parking on the street.
In addition I installed a radio headphone. The transmitter is located in the spare-wheel well like all other stuff.

The Headphones (multiple ones can be connected) are stored in the trunk and used by the passengers on demand.

And this is the result:

The empty spare-wheel well with the cables leading into it:

The wood plate with the installation below (I didn't cut any cables, that's why it looks so wired):

After the plate, the tuner and the XBox is installed, it looks like this (battery is larger now):

The UI
Finally I decided not to use the face XBMC standard UI, but create an own iDrive-like UI. Sorry for the hard design in german

After switching the Video Interface to the external source (DVB-T, then XBox), the Monitor shows the main menu:

Directly after starting, a standard playlist (about 10.000 Songs) is running and showing a visualisation in the main menu:

It is possible to show the visualisation in fullscreen:

Via the IR remote control, I can select an area, e.g. "Music" and browse my sections (playlists, albums, radio dramas) and music. Shown is the album section:

Movies can be selected via the video section:

They can be viewed in the main menu:

or in full screen mode:

Old 04-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Members

Pictures can be seen in the picture section:

Finally, the XBox is still a XBox. So you can play games in the program section:

Finally - to show how it's running - you may watch a movie

regs
Volkmar
Old 04-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Sweet man! Outstanding!!
Old 04-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Absolutely fantastic!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Insane!!! I love it Can you post some pics of the 8" Monitor on the end of the arm rest using a BRODIT holder?

Cheers!
Old 04-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my next mod of my current mod
I have all wiring with DVD changer in the back, but with XBOX hard-drive is way better.
How long does it take XBOX to start up?
Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='267525' date='Apr 11 2006, 06:21 AM
This is my next mod of my current mod
I have all wiring with DVD changer in the back, but with XBOX hard-drive is way better.
How long does it take XBOX to start up?
Hi,

the video shows the complete startup time. It's about 5-10 Sec. till the Playlist starts. Typically this is faster than the CCC is able to play the sound
Basically I could set it up that the Box turns on automatically with ignition, but I didn't want that to avoid a "short trip power up/down" of the box.

Maybe for the price. The modding of the box costs about 70$ + a HD of your need and the XBox (not the 360!) of course - that's all....

regs
Volkmar
Old 04-11-2006, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

This is really cool, because I'm doing the same thing at this moment.

Xbox with Xbox-mediacenter,
2 headrest screens, and front-screen with a interface unit from Korea (300 USD) and works perfect
No TV/Rearcamera.

Keep up the good work
Old 04-11-2006, 04:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Justin' post='267599' date='Apr 11 2006, 12:52 PM
This is really cool, because I'm doing the same thing at this moment.

Xbox with Xbox-mediacenter,
2 headrest screens, and front-screen with a interface unit from Korea (199 USD) and works perfect
No TV/Rearcamera.
Keep up the good work
The XBox with XBMC is definetely the best choice

I'm still looking for a teachable remote control which is ultra-flat (so less than 1cm thick).... Any suggestions anybody?

regs
Volkmar
Old 04-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vstegmann' post='267621' date='Apr 11 2006, 07:37 AM
The XBox with XBMC is definetely the best choice

I'm still looking for a teachable remote control which is ultra-flat (so less than 1cm thick).... Any suggestions anybody?

regs
Volkmar
Volkmar,

Try this website:
http://www.remotecentral.com/
Most of them are thick ~2cm

Quick Reply: My DVB-T / XBox installation