DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Mounting New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my new Wheel/Snow Tire set up from the Tire Rack...I want to dismount the present factory Wheel/Tire Summer and mount my new Winter Set up (Avoid the hassle of bringing car to dealer with 4 wheel/tires in trunk and back seat!)...I know this may be a very basic question, but please advise me on how to do this - Jack point on the frame, Do I need any special Torque Wrench (I am planning on using my air wrench -- any suggested PSI in the air compressor tank?), Any suggestions on how to avoid scratching rims (i.e. any special impact lug suggested?), Suggestions on storing Summer Set -- Again, thanks very much - sorry if this is too basic a question but the vehicle is new and I do not want to take on this project if I am overlooking some very important issues
Old 11-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car' post='491706' date='Nov 8 2007, 08:10 AM
Got my new Wheel/Snow Tire set up from the Tire Rack...I want to dismount the present factory Wheel/Tire Summer and mount my new Winter Set up (Avoid the hassle of bringing car to dealer with 4 wheel/tires in trunk and back seat!)...I know this may be a very basic question, but please advise me on how to do this - Jack point on the frame, Do I need any special Torque Wrench (I am planning on using my air wrench -- any suggested PSI in the air compressor tank?), Any suggestions on how to avoid scratching rims (i.e. any special impact lug suggested?), Suggestions on storing Summer Set -- Again, thanks very much - sorry if this is too basic a question but the vehicle is new and I do not want to take on this project if I am overlooking some very important issues

You need a torque wrench.
Only use an air impact to loosen.

A floor jack is also needed. This is one of the few that can reach the center jack point:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/sh..._ACHyd1_pg1.htm

A set of wheel pins (also called wheel hangars) is very helpful.
Ultimate Garage makes some nice ones, but there are many available.
http://www.ultimategarage.com/wheelhgr.html