DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Mod for your sport steering wheel paddle shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 09:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i
Model Year: 2008
Default Mod for your sport steering wheel paddle shifter

If you have the sport package steering wheel, the round circle airbag. In order to downshift, you would need to push the paddle shifter on either side. I didn't like that. I wanted to feel more like the SMG paddle shifter where on the left side, in order to downshift, you will pull the paddle towards you.

A very simple mod that does not throw any error codes
Apology for the lack of photos, Was doing trial and error. Make sure your vehicle is off or you will have an annoying airbag warning even if you plug it back in.

First: Take off the Airbag by inserting a screw driver at the bottle of the steering wheel. Push the screw driver hard enough till the airbag pops out.

Second: Disconnect the airbag wires, There will be 2 wires you need to disconnect. On the right hand side, pull the white plug apart. Then pull the gray connecter out
Mod for your sport steering wheel paddle shifter-img_0470.jpg

Third: You may or may not need to take the control piece out. I did because i couldn't get my fingers in to yank the paddle shifter connector out. If you decided to remove the control face piece? off, its held on by 2 t-15 bolt. Unscrew both bolt off, and just pull the piece off.

Fourth: On the left side, theres a Black connector that communicates your paddle shifter input to the gearbox . Pull the black connector out and there will be 4 wires. You will need a small tiny flat head screw driver. Pull pin #1 and pin #2 out, by sticking your screw driver into the connector to push the tab in.
Mod for your sport steering wheel paddle shifter-img_2458.jpg

Put the wire that was originally in pin #1 to pin #2 slot and Pin #2 wire to Pin #1 slot
Mod for your sport steering wheel paddle shifter-img_6486.jpg

All done. Now reverse the steps and enjoy. :two: