DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

For the millionth time... Sorry...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I find:

1. A switched ignition 12V source.
2. A sleep dependent 12V source.

I need this to be in the cabin, because I know where I can find those sources in the trunk, but as I don't have rear folding seats, its real hard to get the wire inside.

Also, if anyone can give me an answer here:

1. What wire, anywhere in the car, doesn't have to be specific location, just a color code would be fine, is any of the power sources I've asked for above?
2. How many amps will the RGB interface from Dom draw? How many amps will the iDrive controller unit draw?
3. I don't have a BMW flashlight in my car, and the place where the charger is, have two wires, red and brown, is it safe to tap there? Is it switched? Sleep dependent? How many amps can I use from there?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!! Please help me out here... Thanks in advance for any help...

Note: All fuses in the glovebox do NOT turn off when key is off, or when the car goes to sleep. Spent a whole 1 hour testing it twice!
***I do not have power outlet on the passenger footwell. My car is european spec car. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

hi i gess you are trying to fit the video interface nav tv.
well i found the easiest clean way at the time i fitted mine to be on th torch charger socket outlet.
remove the panel that is under the glove box remove the socket outlet it just clips in,follow the wiring back abou 10 inches and clear the wrapping on loom.then splice in live on the +red wire and gound on the -brown wire.
i used a tway plug and socket i place the socket on the loom end bmw type can be purchased.i spliced by cparing off insulation and folding the wire then crimped to contacts that slid into socket. simple no damage solution.

plug/socket

example above
ten i fitted a fuse to the nav tv power cable and then a matchjing plug for the socket.
this supply is adauqate for the interface and is on the same circuit as the cigar lighter sockets.

you can also feed a wirte easily underneath the rear seat back there is a gap and clear space there . i discovered after removing all the rear it can be done in 5 minutes just by pushing a thick wire or draw wire under rear of bottom of the seat back from inside trunk remove trunk carpet it goes under the seat bak inside boot.lift out the rear seat squab by pulling up from front and lifting out. the push wire under seat back from inside the boot/trunkl wirh a thick 2.mm blade or ruler then get in rear of car and push your hand up under the seat back to locate wire odraw cord..simple .
Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 PM
Contributors

The supply on the torch charger, never turns off tho right? So wouldn't that cause battery drain? Is it enough amps to run both the interface and the idrive controller?
Old 12-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i tested the torch charger on my car some months ago, and from what i remmeber it used to go to sleep... in about 20 mins...
Old 12-21-2006, 03:24 AM
Contributors

Ok, so should I just tap as far back as possible. And is it adequate for about 10A?