DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
Thanks V for the quick reply. I just went to my local auto store and they don't have the MAF cleaner. The person in charge told me to use the "[img]file:///C:/Users/SARAHE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/SARAHE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/img][img]file:///C:/Users/SARAHE%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/img]F1 injector/carburetor cleaner" as most of the mechanics here use it to clean the MAF. I am a bit hesitant on using it. Any advice?
No idea, honestly. Since I could just buy the MAF cleaner from auto parts store - that's what I bought.

I'd be reluctant to use anything on any part of my car, that isn't "proven", so if you trust these mechs and they know what they're doing, go for it. Otherwise, hold out till you find the real thing.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
No idea, honestly. Since I could just buy the MAF cleaner from auto parts store - that's what I bought.

I'd be reluctant to use anything on any part of my car, that isn't "proven", so if you trust these mechs and they know what they're doing, go for it. Otherwise, hold out till you find the real thing.
Yes, you are right. I will keep looking. If I cant find it, guess I'll have it shipped from saudi.
Will update you on the progress.

PS: I just saw my above post and realized it was around 4am that I posted this image. I just saw the outcome hahahhaha
Old 05-20-2010, 05:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xenonrider
can anyone tell me what size those torx screws are? I have a T-20 and a T-25 and neither worked..
I just tried with the T-25 and i was able to untwist one of the screws. I didn't go all the way since I don't have my cleaner yet but the T-25 is the way to go Just wanted to make sure I have the proper equipment before I bought the cleaner.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Just cleaned mine on the 550. Very easy! Damn sensor looks like some hightech whistle. While I was at it I decided to clean the engine bay which wasn't really dirty and clean my K&N filter. Just waiting for the filter to dry so I can oil it up again.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Contributors

the screw is actually an off size that you can't purchase in a regular store. I went to ACE hardware got a security torx that had the hold in it then drilled it out a little to make it bigger and grinded down 2 of the torx edges and it worked the torx BMW uses for this is a different offset of the little edges on the outside.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

just cleaned my MAF.. looks likt it's not a torx screw at all (on a N62): the screw only has 5 'blades' instead of the 6 blades on a torx screw. I used a pair of pliers to grip the sides of the screw and unscrewed it with the pliers. BMW sure likes to make things a lot more difficult than they need to be... :thumbsdown:
Old 05-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

wow, I went to the local auto store back when I needed to changed out my grills. The torx kit I got (cheap kit) has had every torx I needed including the MAF sensor screws. The one I got has the hole in the center too.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Contributors

Weird I tried the T-25 and I was able to unscrew one of the screws last week. Hope I don't get trouble with the second one.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

apparently, it's called a "tamper-resistant torx PLUS" bit. it has 5 wings instead of 6 on a regular torx bit. was trying to buy one and here is what one website stated:
IPR - 5 Point Security Torx Plus Bits Are Available for Order To OEM's and their Authorized Service Technicians. You must submit Written Verification Of Application Requirement to Purchase this product. Call Our Customer Service Department at:
800-***-**** for additional information.
Not Available For Resale!
OEM'S & Their Authorized Service Companies Only
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by xenonrider
apparently, it's called a "tamper-resistant torx PLUS" bit. it has 5 wings instead of 6 on a regular torx bit. was trying to buy one and here is what one website stated:
IPR - 5 Point Security Torx Plus Bits Are Available for Order To OEM's and their Authorized Service Technicians. You must submit Written Verification Of Application Requirement to Purchase this product. Call Our Customer Service Department at:
800-***-**** for additional information.
Not Available For Resale!
OEM'S & Their Authorized Service Companies Only
What the ...

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)