DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:19 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I had a small issue with the engine a few days ago - some erratic behavior at start-up: RPMs jumped up and down, after which the engine stalled. After that I've noticed a tiny bit weird throttle behavior twice - in second gear, around 3k rpm, the throttle would momentarily "pause" (as in, I'd be pressing the pedal and the throttle would open with a little more delay than normal). After a bit of research and some deliberation, I've decided to clean the MAF sensor - like someone on this forum suggested.

The process is extremely simple, but you'll need the BMW torx screwdriver or wrench to get the MAF sensor out.

Results are evident right away - the throttle opens like new, acceleration is very smooth and linear - no more issues.

Step 1.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a can of MAF sensor cleaner, such as this one:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0644.jpg

Step 2.

Remove the MAF sensor.

-make sure the engine is off and I always recommend waiting for it to cool off before you dive in (things get really hot under there).

-To remove the MAF sensor on an N52-engine equipped E60, you'll have to locate the sensor on the intake manifold, right aft of the airbox. It is held in place by two torx screws, locate them and take them out, making sure that you do not do anything to the line running directly above it:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0640.jpgMAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0641.jpg

-Once the torx screws are out, pull the sensor out. It takes some force to pull it out, but you have to be very careful not to damage it's o-ring, or anything else, including surrounding parts. Pull out the MAF sensor completely:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0642.jpg

-Use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry open the fastener that holds the MAF sensor and it's harness together:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0643.jpg

-Rest the harness safely, so that it doesn't fall somewhere and you won't have to go looking for it

Step 3.

-Place the MAF sensor on some expendable surface (I used some cardboard), where you'll be able to let it dry after you spray it.

-Locate the "hot wires" on the sensor and spray it somewhat gently (you'll see exactly how gentle those wires are once you see the sensor up close):
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0645.jpg
give it about 10-15 "squirts". Try not to spray from too close a distance, unless you are certain the MAF sensor won't get damaged from it.
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0647.jpg
spray the hot wires, making sure you cover the entire area of the exposed wire:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0648.jpg

-Leave the sensor out for a few minutes to fully dry:
MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-img_0649.jpg

Step 4.

Re-install the MAF sensor in the intake manifold. It will not go in easily, because it has to be air-tight, so what I did is simply rest it in it's place, align the torx screws and tightened them, using that as the only force to drive the MAF sensor into it's place.

After doing this right, you should be able to feel the difference in throttle openings - acceleration should become very solid and steady, without any unevenness.

Good luck, and as always, do this at your own risk.
I'd say this is about the easiest thing to do though and you'll save yourself loads of money - not to mention, you may be able to get rid of the "increased emissions" problem with this.

Best
V.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Good work and great DIY!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Good work and great DIY!
Thanks for sharing!
Much inspired by yours, actually

So its more like, thank YOU!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530iA 04

MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)-post-22787-127286933925_thumb.jpg
What you gonna do with power steering reservior? I know it`s common problem for all E60... :thumbsdown:
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Great DIY Vlad!!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

nice vlad. wanna help me clean mine too?
Old 05-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by protams
Attachment 104903
What you gonna do with power steering reservior? I know it`s common problem for all E60... :thumbsdown:
For now, I'm gonna leave it alone - the ONLY symptom I'm having is this dirty reservoir, so I don't really wanna "fix it if it ain't broke"

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
nice vlad. wanna help me clean mine too?
Sure thing, Bro! Come by any time, I'll do yours and we can chill at my crib while it dries
Old 05-04-2010, 06:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I had a small issue with the engine a few days ago - some erratic behavior at start-up: RPMs jumped up and down, after which the engine stalled. After that I've noticed a tiny bit weird throttle behavior twice - in second gear, around 3k rpm, the throttle would momentarily "pause" (as in, I'd be pressing the pedal and the throttle would open with a little more delay than normal). After a bit of research and some deliberation, I've decided to clean the MAF sensor - like someone on this forum suggested.

The process is extremely simple, but you'll need the BMW torx screwdriver or wrench to get the MAF sensor out.

Results are evident right away - the throttle opens like new, acceleration is very smooth and linear - no more issues.

Step 1.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a can of MAF sensor cleaner, such as this one:
Attachment 104892

Step 2.

Remove the MAF sensor.

-make sure the engine is off and I always recommend waiting for it to cool off before you dive in (things get really hot under there).

-To remove the MAF sensor on an N52-engine equipped E60, you'll have to locate the sensor on the intake manifold, right aft of the airbox. It is held in place by two torx screws, locate them and take them out, making sure that you do not do anything to the line running directly above it:
Attachment 104896Attachment 104895

-Once the torx screws are out, pull the sensor out. It takes some force to pull it out, but you have to be very careful not to damage it's o-ring, or anything else, including surrounding parts. Pull out the MAF sensor completely:
Attachment 104894

-Use a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry open the fastener that holds the MAF sensor and it's harness together:
Attachment 104893

-Rest the harness safely, so that it doesn't fall somewhere and you won't have to go looking for it

Step 3.

-Place the MAF sensor on some expendable surface (I used some cardboard), where you'll be able to let it dry after you spray it.

-Locate the "hot wires" on the sensor and spray it somewhat gently (you'll see exactly how gentle those wires are once you see the sensor up close):
Attachment 104891
give it about 10-15 "squirts". Try not to spray from too close a distance, unless you are certain the MAF sensor won't get damaged from it.
Attachment 104890
spray the hot wires, making sure you cover the entire area of the exposed wire:
Attachment 104898

-Leave the sensor out for a few minutes to fully dry:
Attachment 104897

Step 4.

Re-install the MAF sensor in the intake manifold. It will not go in easily, because it has to be air-tight, so what I did is simply rest it in it's place, align the torx screws and tightened them, using that as the only force to drive the MAF sensor into it's place.

After doing this right, you should be able to feel the difference in throttle openings - acceleration should become very solid and steady, without any unevenness.

Good luck, and as always, do this at your own risk.
I'd say this is about the easiest thing to do though and you'll save yourself loads of money - not to mention, you may be able to get rid of the "increased emissions" problem with this.

Best
V.
Thanks and appreciate your sharing, done yesterday with WD40, it turn out like a brand new car, smooth acceleration, real happy,

Regards
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i 2007 750i

Do you think it makes sense to do this even without any symptoms?

I'm trying to figure out a match for this sensor cleaner on the German market.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by beamlord
Do you think it makes sense to do this even without any symptoms?

I'm trying to figure out a match for this sensor cleaner on the German market.
I would strongly recommend doing this even without the symptoms. You may actually not notice any symptoms until the sensor is beyond cleaning, so it is always good to keep it "clean". It is recommended to do this cleaning every time you change you air filter. Also, I'm beginning to think that having a less restrictive air filter + ram air scoop sort of contributes to the sensor getting dirty more often - at least in city conditions.

Not sure what products there are in Germany that are same as this cleaner here, but I'd guess there should definitely be something very similar at your local auto parts store

Quick Reply: MAF Sensor Cleaning DIY (N52)