DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

M5 mirrors retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:28 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

i'll be receiving my mirrors any day soon - maybe even before my new car arrives So as soon as the car arrives, I will be taking it apart to fit the m5 mirrors. I have search the forum and i know how to do it, but i do have some question to you guys:

1) http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mirror&st=0 says that we have to disconnect the battery. Is that really necessary? i always thought disconnecting the battery causes all the errors in this world, and would require me to go back to the stealer to have the errors resetted.

2) Rudy wrote in a thread that hte following tools are required - did you guys really need these tools?:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...ost&id=1260
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...ost&id=1258

3) Did you guys take the entire door apart to get the speakers off to access the mirrors?

Generally I love DIYs but this time I am a bit scared - the last thing i want is to go back to the dealer with a brand new car

Thanks for the help.

Rumman
Old 04-23-2008, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: F10 535I
Model Year: 2016

I'm not sure how to install the mirrors, But. I have taken the door off several times to change my speakers. The entire door panel does have to be taken off to remove the mirror. The airbag is on the door panel and you have to unglug it to take the door panel off fully. if the battery is NOT disconnected, you will get a airbag error for unglugging it. so best bet would be disconnect the battery which sholdnt give you any errors. And lastly you do not need all those tools. you need a phillips head screw driver, a torx I think 25 and 1 panel popper to pry open the door clips.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:46 AM
jgt
Contributors

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by Eugene134' post='566404' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure how to install the mirrors, But. I have taken the door off several times to change my speakers. The entire door panel does have to be taken off to remove the mirror. The airbag is on the door panel and you have to unglug it to take the door panel off fully. if the battery is NOT disconnected, you will get a airbag error for unglugging it. so best bet would be disconnect the battery which sholdnt give you any errors. And lastly you do not need all those tools. you need a phillips head screw driver, a torx I think 25 and 1 panel popper to pry open the door clips.

Any substitute for the panel popper???
I'm about change my mirrors...
Old 04-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributors

Model Year: 2016

use a flat head screwdriver but only on the bottom of the door and be carefull not to scratch the paint, ones the bottom is pride off, use you hands to pull out the panel until all of the clip around the entire door are loose and then you must lift the panel up to release the clip in the center. but be sure to put it back on when you are done. look around the forum there are threads, explaining this with pix.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Contributors

So the conclusion:
- definitely disconnect the battery
- no special tools necessary
- complete disassemble of the door panel necessary to get to the mirros

tnx
Old 04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Contributors