DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

M5 Foottrest

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 02:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M5 footrest install:

-Sorry no DIY photos
-Don't underestimate the difficulty of the install like I did. I thought it was going to take 15-20 mins. It doesn't!
-No screws, only a single u shaped "hook" at the top of the footrest that anchors to the dash console (where the top of the footrest meets the dash housing)

Adhesive
-BMW used some type of adhesive similar to an epoxy, and it sets as a solid like plastic. I tried to use a heat gun ? No Help! I tried to pull like heck! I pulled so hard, the carpet mold was giving way before the adhesive from the carpet would budge.

Removal

-I used a metal paint scraper/drywall putty scraper to "shim" under the original footrest and used a sharp knife to cut the epoxy away from the carpet. (very tedious)
-This must be done by following the bead of the epoxy and cutting the carpet fibers from the epoxy. (Make sure you don't cut through the entire carpet)
-The hardest part is getting started because the footrest is secured flush to the carpet. (no vision in what you're doing underneath)
-Once you get past 30% you can really get under the footrest and it gets easier

I'll try to post a photo of my original footrest to show you the pattern of the epoxy bead.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60

Originally Posted by Mach_666' post='494103' date='Nov 14 2007, 01:16 AM
Hello...

the reason for the problem is:

BMW used a such strong carpet glue under the footrest, so that is impossible to rip it off. Your fingers would hurt a lot , an then you would thought to take it out with cutting... You have to take a small knife, an get it under the oem footrest, an cut the glue... You would cut you x times in yout finger, but this is the only way to get it out...

By the way, i have destroyed the old one, a little bit.

Best Regards...
Its exactly what i did...