DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

locking nut 5 series e60

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently bought a 525d m sport (05 plate)
Today i went to take the wheels off only to find out they have a standard bmw locking nut on them, the problem is when i bought the car i wasn't supplied with the key needed to get them off
is there any way of getting hold of one or do i have to try and drill all 4 of them out? i reeeeaally don't want to be doing that to be honest.

Also my windscreen washers aren't working, there is a noise but no fluid and the bottle is full, any suggestions ? i had this problem on an old car of mine and it was just a fuse for the motor, could it be that though if the motor is whirring?

any replies greatly appreciated, more-so if they work

i'm new to the board and look forward to spending time on here so i can fully enjoy my first bmw
Old 05-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 525d M Sport Gunmetal Grey

Have you had a look where the spare tyre is kept.. if u lift the mat up in the boot theres a little holder situated in the compartment and thats where you will find your locking nut. GL
Old 05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chrispk76' post='888249' date='May 24 2009, 08:49 AM
Today i went to take the wheels off only to find out they have a standard bmw locking nut on them, the problem is when i bought the car i wasn't supplied with the key needed to get them off
is there any way of getting hold of one or do i have to try and drill all 4 of them out? i reeeeaally don't want to be doing that to be honest.

i'm new to the board and look forward to spending time on here so i can fully enjoy my first bmw
If you are unable to locate the key somewhere in your car and they are BMW Wheel Locks look at the lug locks very closely and you should see a 2 digit numerical code. Ask a dealer parts department to order you a new key set with that number. Alternatively a dealer can remove the locks and replace them with a standard lug if you want!

IMHO, DO NOT try to drill them out - you're asking for trouble!!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Check the windscreen washer tube is broken or not first
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shaz_duf' post='888595' date='May 24 2009, 11:11 PM
Have you had a look where the spare tyre is kept.. if u lift the mat up in the boot theres a little holder situated in the compartment and thats where you will find your locking nut. GL
just looked there and no key to be found, glad you mentioned this though as i've just found out i have no spare wheel either !!! looks like i'll have to get the code and order a nut like luigi suggested.
thanks for all your quick responses. hopefully i won't be having anymore issues. now got to source a spare wheel
Old 05-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by chrispk76' post='889244' date='May 25 2009, 03:16 AM
just looked there and no key to be found, glad you mentioned this though as i've just found out i have no spare wheel either !!! looks like i'll have to get the code and order a nut like luigi suggested.
thanks for all your quick responses. hopefully i won't be having anymore issues. now got to source a spare wheel
Good luck in getting the key. . Post pictures of your ride soon.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by chrispk76' post='888249' date='May 24 2009, 07:49 AM

Also my windscreen washers aren't working, there is a noise but no fluid and the bottle is full, any suggestions ? i had this problem on an old car of mine and it was just a fuse for the motor, could it be that though if the motor is whirring?

any replies greatly appreciated, more-so if they work

This is a family oriented forum. No need to talk publicly about your locking nuts.

If there is a Discount Tire shop near you, they typically have the tools to remove the locking nuts. Sears will sell you a tool designed to grab onto the locking nut. Also, you might get creative by looking thru your toolbox to see what will fit in that hole.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='889255' date='May 25 2009, 11:53 AM
Good luck in getting the key. . Post pictures of your ride soon.
As it was a bank holiday today i had a bit of spare time on my hands so i had a nosey through my toolbox and found an old socket slightly smaler than my locking nuts, i hammered it on and it worked on all 4 of my locking nuts happy days.

Now i have another problem, i was driving along in the rain this afternoon and my headlight washers came on (don't now why) and the next thing i knew a silver plastic thing came flashing past my windscreen turns out it was my headlight washer cover ! Luckily i stopped and found it in a grass verge unmarked .I then clipped it back in,basically it had 2 small black plastic clips on the cover, i just lined the bottom up and clipped it back in. Problem is the next time the washers come on i might not be lucky enough to be passing a soft grass verge to cushion the blow is there a part missing e.g a spring or something ? is it possible to get the washers to stay up while i see if i can fix it or campare it to the one that works fine ? i'm not having much luck at the moment
However i am over the moon with the drive and handling of the 525d m sport, i love it and these minor things aren't dampening my experience too much

here's my motor,not had chance to do much yet as only had it couple of days, don't know how to put it on my signature so its there everytime i post
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Members

I'm assuming u havent got a spare wheel because you dont need 1.. bmw's come standard with runflat tyres.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Members

Congrats on the car and welcome to the forum.. where abouts do u live? How much did u pay? spec (sat nav, heated seats, leather etc)?

Quick Reply: locking nut 5 series e60