DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

LED lic plate lamps

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!
As you may notice, this is my first post here but in my browsing so far it seems like e60forums is a great and informative place.

i have done several searches, and come up with a myriad of topics - but i cant seem to find a real consensus: what do i need to do to get my real license plate lamps converted to LEDs?
It would seem that a few things are going on
  • some people have luck with simply purchasing the festoons from ebay
  • others order OEM/dealer parts
  • the issue of resistors v. no resistors in order to eliminate a potential I-drive issue

I recently picked up my 08 (LCI it would seem from my reading) e60 and i think this would be a great first mod (is it bad to mod while you still have paper plates ) - not to mention i think the car should have come with LEDs there to begin with

thanks for the help!
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, saphire black, black interior, tinted, 20" Asanti rims

fellow new guy here. i'm also going to try this mod and it'll be my first one too. i'm going to get my lights from ebay and going to get resistors too. i went into a couple radioshacks today and one was sold out and the other didn't have them. i'm going to try to change the reverse light, side marker, and turn sinal lights in the front and back. i'll let you know how it turns out
Old 05-07-2008, 01:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SOE_arc_CH' post='574968' date='May 6 2008, 09:41 AM
Hi all!
As you may notice, this is my first post here but in my browsing so far it seems like e60forums is a great and informative place.

i have done several searches, and come up with a myriad of topics - but i cant seem to find a real consensus: what do i need to do to get my real license plate lamps converted to LEDs?
It would seem that a few things are going on
  • some people have luck with simply purchasing the festoons from ebay
  • others order OEM/dealer parts
  • the issue of resistors v. no resistors in order to eliminate a potential I-drive issue

I recently picked up my 08 (LCI it would seem from my reading) e60 and i think this would be a great first mod (is it bad to mod while you still have paper plates ) - not to mention i think the car should have come with LEDs there to begin with

thanks for the help!
Take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53565

These are cree led with build in resistor.
So you only need to replace the bulbs and you are done.
And NO Idrive error.
Very easy, 5 minutes of install and testing in total
But don't know if it also works for LCI.
Check it out.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by BB-Tjai' post='575706' date='May 7 2008, 05:41 AM
Take a look here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=53565

These are cree led with build in resistor.
So you only need to replace the bulbs and you are done.
And NO Idrive error.
Very easy, 5 minutes of install and testing in total
But don't know if it also works for LCI.
Check it out.

I have the ebay bulbs with built in resistors with no issues!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Members

BB-Tjai & Providenceleaf thanks for the help guys.

i think i saw someone in that thread say the bulbs with the built in resistors work on LCI cars.
I have some on the way so hopefully i should be able to confirm that soon (for any of the LCI guys interested in this)
Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Members

just a quick update for any LCI guys out there - i recieved them today and the bulbs with built in resistors DO seem to work without any issues thus far (at least in my LCI)

thanks for the recommendation
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, saphire black, black interior, tinted, 20" Asanti rims

what's goin on? i know this one is a lil old but still wanted to give an update on mine. installed my LED's with the resistors tonight and it looks amazing. ordered two, 12 led, festoons from ebay for $15 shipped and rent to radio shack and got a pair of 50-Ohm 10watt 10% tolerance resitors for $2. took me no time at all, real easy mod. no error message and looks amazing. also replaced the reverse lights... the whole back end looks rediculous with the small changes.
LED lic plate lamps-img_0282234.jpg
LED lic plate lamps-12345.jpg
LED lic plate lamps-1234.jpg
Old 06-30-2008, 02:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528i

I got LCI and my error went on twice since I installed them, went for a week before the error came on.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

I have a LCI , and have had the Ebay ones ( crap , don't bother They get Heat soaked and throw error codes right and left that stay till you restart the car , some others have had the same issue)

There are the Custom resistor with OEM LEds that may be in the Group buy section ( very expensive, 50 for the resistors then another 26 for the LEDs from Gery)

An the ones I got from Trinity I like a lot ( not as bright as the Ebay ones , but closer to white instead of blue in color, have had errors thrown but they self clear out on one bulb with in 5-10 sec, and Trinity said they would replace the bulb for free, big plus is they are by far the cheapest I 've seen so far and the highest quality too..)

Go check the classifieds or GB area, it's worth the effort.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Originally Posted by bigbadbull' post='615535' date='Jul 3 2008, 01:40 PM
I have a LCI , and have had the Ebay ones ( crap , don't bother They get Heat soaked and throw error codes right and left that stay till you restart the car , some others have had the same issue)

There are the Custom resistor with OEM LEds that may be in the Group buy section ( very expensive, 50 for the resistors then another 26 for the LEDs from Gery)

An the ones I got from Trinity I like a lot ( not as bright as the Ebay ones , but closer to white instead of blue in color, have had errors thrown but they self clear out on one bulb with in 5-10 sec, and Trinity said they would replace the bulb for free, big plus is they are by far the cheapest I 've seen so far and the highest quality too..)

Go check the classifieds or GB area, it's worth the effort.
Did you try Neo's way? He bought a $2 resistor and the bulbs and he seems to be doing okay without the warning. I don't think his ride is LCI though. I got the stuff already but I'm just waiting until I get my car to try it. I'll update you if I get the error using Neo's way.

Quick Reply: LED lic plate lamps