DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 330i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52B30

Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
Most issues with these transmissions I have seen here online are solved with the solenoids, seals, new fluid and resetting adaptations. I'm wondering why my transmission would have the worn clutch packs or bushing when there are plenty success stories with the solenoids.

Updates on my situation:

I emailed ZF, Here is a transcript of my conversation:

Me: How can I pressure test the E-clutch circuit?

ZF: The E clutch always has a little bit of a leaky sound compared to the A clutch, because of the way it is sealed. The only way to tell if it is damaged is if the fluid was burnt or if you actually inspect it. If the fluid is burnt, based on the code you have I'd say E would be burnt. The pressure check doesn't sound bad. I do not think you have any serious leakage in the clutch. However, the 4F85 code could mean the clutch is burnt. If the vehicle is going into fail safe, and it has been driven in that condition, then the clutch is probably burnt. I would suggest going through the components and replacing worn items including the bushings and pressure regulators.

Me: Actually I have code 4f8A

ZF: The internal shaft and drum bushings should be replaced. The code usually signifies clutch E is burned. Especially if the vehicle was going into fail safe. If the transmission fluid is clean and full, then the issue could be a simple solenoid replacement. If the fluid level was low or burned, then the E clutch is more than likely burned.

Me: How can I tell if the fluid is burned?

zf: Typically, the fluid would smell burnt. I do not know of a test other than lab work. If the fluid is caramel-light brown in color, but it doesn't smell burnt, it is probably alright.

I attempted an additional service of the car 4 weeks ago. My Bridge seal was in decent shape, not torn but the edges were fairly bowed in. I still think it was probably holding pressure despite this. The finger seals were also in decent shape but quite hard. At that time I didn't replace the solenoids because I wasn't having any shifting issues other than this 4-5 slip, but if it got worse I would look at the solenoids. I was also experiencing the 2-1 bump which was annoying. I reused my old fluid. After this job the trans shifted very smooth from 1-4, there was a slight bump going in to 5 and a noticeable bump going in to 6th.

I managed to get the car back together after a heck of a time re-installing. I put it all back together once and attempted to start the car, but it didnt start, and the shifter was jammed! The shifter issue was due to having the shifter rod and the slider on the mechatronic misaligned. The piston on the mechatronic side was jammed against the selector rod, so I was really fortunate that I didn't break it. This required draining and removing the pan and mechatronic to reset.

Secondly, I did not disconnect the battery during this service and when I went to reconnect the mechatronic connector I didn't twist it to the full lock position. I had a lost communication fault with the transmission. Codes were CD99, CD9E, CD9D, CDB0. Diagnosing using the ZF guide led me to test for voltage at the power supply pins of the connector, and I was missing voltage at pin 14 which is the ignition power for the trans. I had a blown fuse, F01 in my 330i, so that was my issue there.

Thirdly in all my troubleshooting I still couldnt get the car to start after this fuse re-insertion, so I had to disconnect the battery and charge it up. I think letting the car lose all power and then giving it a full charge really helped, after clearing codes on the DME the car finally started.

The car was driving good until I gave it a bootful of throttle accelerating on to the highway and I got slip again. I pulled a different code, 4f86 for the 4 to 5 gear change, at 3800 rpm. This was AFTER completing the bridge and 4 finger seal replacement. Shifting from 4-5 at around 4k rpm is pretty common experience, so I was anxious to solve this issue. I ordered the solenoids and committed to doing this job a 3rd time.

My fluid was dark brown but did not smell burnt. 10k miles ago I did a fluid and filter change but not flush. The fluid i pulled out a year ago was very dark and dirty, so I imagine that's why I have darker fluid in there now (mixed with the stuff I didnt get out). So according to ZF, if my fluid is in OK shape (clutch hasn't been burnt yet) I was good to replace the solenoids and try again. With my pressure test i'm sure that there is some leakage at the bushing, but perhaps solenoids will help the shift complete faster and minimize the effect of this. In fact, this is exactly what seems to have happened (so far). 200 miles after the solenoid replacement my shifts are just as good as ever. I havent yet looked at the hydraulic pathways to evaluate which solenoids were bad but my shifting is great so far (knock on wood).

If you are getting trans faults and you have a high mileage trans you will probably benefit from this service. I will update after I've put more miles on the car.

Last edited by leif20; 07-05-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW
Default 05 6hp26 Mechtronics removed while vehicle not in park!

Kyle I f**ed up royally. Not knowing the car was no longer in park i pulled the Mechtronics to replace the bridge seal (we were given the wrong one). I had already replaced all the seals with stock parts only to find out this tranny uses the 6hp19-21 bridge seal that is taller. I had fluid in it tires trying to move and then the dashboard indicator just vanished. I tried shifting again and heard dat-dat-dat-dat-dat from the tranny abd no shifting after that.. I finally got the correct bs and went to install it today and when I tried to reinstall the Mechtronics unit it would not go in.i finally discovered the back wheels will turn. I'm assuming this means it wasn't in the park position when I pulled the unit. How can I get this thing back into park if the mechs won't go back in?!?? Please advise as I'm bout ready to pull my tranny fluid filled hair out!!

Last edited by JayArras; 07-09-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 330i
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52B30

Originally Posted by Laura Zingheim View Post
Kyle I f**ed up royally. Not knowing the car was no longer in park i pulled the Mechtronics to replace the bridge seal (we were given the wrong one). I had already replaced all the seals with stock parts only to find out this tranny uses the 6hp19-21 bridge seal that is taller. I had fluid in it tires trying to move and then the dashboard indicator just vanished. I tried shifting again and heard dat-dat-dat-dat-dat from the tranny abd no shifting after that.. I finally got the correct bs and went to install it today and when I tried to reinstall the Mechtronics unit it would not go in.i finally discovered the back wheels will turn. I'm assuming this means it wasn't in the park position when I pulled the unit. How can I get this thing back into park if the mechs won't go back in?!?? Please advise as I'm bout ready to pull my tranny fluid filled hair out!!

Can you try to re-describe your issue? It's kind of hard to read.