DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 05:29 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by TeflonDon
Im smiling, I just don't know if the Jolt (when coming to a stop is fixed), I should know in 2 weeks or less, that's how long it takes to come back after resetting adaptations.

Gmak, are you getting a jolt when coming to a stop or 2-1 slipping problems?
It's been a while since I was in the car but, IIRC, it was hard shift from 1 -> 2 and then "slipping" in 3 and 5. On the highway, it would waffle back and forth between 4 and 5. Resetting adaptations did nothing for the issue. I don't remember if there was a bang when stopping (i.e. 2 -> 1).

Last edited by gmak; 06-01-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:15 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525xi
Model Year: 2007

So your entire transmission is being rebuilt? Could this have been the right time to bite the bullet n replace with a new, used or rebuilt tranny?

Originally Posted by gmak
It's been a while since I was in the car but, IIRC, it was hard shift from 1 -> 2 and then "slipping" in 3 and 5. On the highway, it would waffle back and forth between 3 and 5. Resetting adaptations did nothing for the issue. I don't remember if there was a bang when stopping (i.e. 2 -> 1).
Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 PM
New Members

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2006

1 Week Later, Transmission sounds a lot better, I believe someone mentioned about 500 miles to fully break in.... I'm happy with the results. Thanks to everyone. If they problem comes back -

( Jolt at stop lights, feels like someone rand into the back of your BMW) This thread will be the first to know. I'm linking the thread detailing what I did and where I got the parts. Also check out the attachment for Torque settings, I bought a Digital Torque wrench from Amazon $100, No leaks at all. When inserting your new sealing sleeve back in, use the wooden part of a Mallet to make sure it goes in all the way. I had to take my pan back off... also make sure when installing the replacement mechatronic make sure the park cylinder rod on E-shift or the manual valve on M-shift is properly engaged before installing any of the mechatronic mounting bolts.

Parts Needed -

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...3/#post1588977

Pictures / ............. -

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...4/#post1589087

Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM
New Members

Congratulations, TeflonDon!

In 2-3 weeks, I will be doing the following (some PM, some repairs) on my 2007 525 xi all wheel drive model (there's few or none video for AWD models currently online) :

electronic water pump and thermostat replacement
radiator replacement
transmission pan/fluid/solenoids/seals/sealing sleeve replacement

I will take lots of pictures and hopefully put several videos on Youtube.

To be continued...

1 Week Later, Transmission sounds a lot better, I believe someone mentioned about 500 miles to fully break in.... I'm happy with the results. Thanks to everyone. If they problem comes back -

( Jolt at stop lights, feels like someone rand into the back of your BMW) This thread will be the first to know. I'm linking the thread detailing what I did and where I got the parts. Also check out the attachment for Torque settings, I bought a Digital Torque wrench from Amazon $100, No leaks at all. When inserting your new sealing sleeve back in, use the wooden part of a Mallet to make sure it goes in all the way. I had to take my pan back off... also make sure when installing the replacement mechatronic make sure the park cylinder rod on E-shift or the manual valve on M-shift is properly engaged before installing any of the mechatronic mounting bolts.

Parts Needed -

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...3/#post1588977

Pictures / ............. -

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...4/#post1589087

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
New Members

I'm not going to wish you Good Luck, I'm going to wish you Good Skill - SEANDDD -

Are you replacing your water pump and thermostat as preventive or ...?
Old 05-24-2017, 04:58 PM
New Members

WP/TSTAT: preventive maintenance, currently still working no warning lights at 113k miles, but who knows...
Radiator: multiple spots of blue powdery deposits, definitely a leaker
Transmission: 2-1 jolt, 1-2 and 2-3 clunking, wet undercover

Yes I DO need a lot of good luck, and skills and beers!

I'm not going to wish you Good Luck, I'm going to wish you Good Skill - SEANDDD -

Are you replacing your water pump and thermostat as preventive or ...?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by seanddd
So your entire transmission is being rebuilt? Could this have been the right time to bite the bullet n replace with a new, used or rebuilt tranny?
Maybe. I'm only doing bearings and clutches - hopefully it's not torque converter issue. Rebuilt tranny's aren't plentiful up here in the great white, and better the devil I know than the devil I don't.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:42 AM
New Members

gmak, good luck, let us know how it comes out.

Originally Posted by gmak
Maybe. I'm only doing bearings and clutches - hopefully it's not torque converter issue. Rebuilt tranny's aren't plentiful up here in the great white, and better the devil I know than the devil I don't.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 AM
New Members

Good Luck to you both, If you're ever in Georgia, Beer is on me.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:43 AM
New Members

can I fly you out to Philadelphia, I have more beer than skills!

Good Luck to you both, If you're ever in Georgia, Beer is on me.

Quick Reply: KyleB's 6HP19 service thread