DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

KyleB's 6HP19 service thread

Old 04-26-2017, 04:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i

ericono,
I don't see any items circled in red on his or your post. Sonnax will take your valvebody and replace all gaskets, seals, plate, springs and parts INSIDE the valvebody. Solenoids are cleaned, tested and replaced as needed. The bridge seal, 4 tube seals, fluid, mechatronic sleeve, pan gasket and pan bolts all are yours to deal with. Remove the electronics and if the metal locating pins/dowels come out remove them too before sending it off, don't want that stuff lost or broken.
Good luck with it. Mine runs like a new tranny was put in compared to previously!
Old 04-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Desert525i
ericono,
I don't see any items circled in red on his or your post. Sonnax will take your valvebody and replace all gaskets, seals, plate, springs and parts INSIDE the valvebody. Solenoids are cleaned, tested and replaced as needed. The bridge seal, 4 tube seals, fluid, mechatronic sleeve, pan gasket and pan bolts all are yours to deal with. Remove the electronics and if the metal locating pins/dowels come out remove them too before sending it off, don't want that stuff lost or broken.
Good luck with it. Mine runs like a new tranny was put in compared to previously!
great info, where exactly did you have yours rebuilt? do you have any contact info?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

I've done my solenoids, new ATF, new pan, new bridge seal, new tube seals. Now I'm going to use the Indy who does the tuff stuff on my M5 to take a look. He believes that it is unlikely to be the valve body, given the mileage on the car. He thinks it may be some gasket (I don't remember with which part), which can lead to cross flows and pressure drops in the transmission. Worst case, I'm reconciled to redoing the bearings, clutches, etc (wear items). But they will test things and see if in fact it is the valve body - which I will have rebuilt if it is.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:39 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525xi
Model Year: 2007

Hi gmak, after replacing all of those parts you mentioned, did it fix the problem? Why did you bring the car to indy again?

Originally Posted by gmak
I've done my solenoids, new ATF, new pan, new bridge seal, new tube seals. Now I'm going to use the Indy who does the tuff stuff on my M5 to take a look. He believes that it is unlikely to be the valve body, given the mileage on the car. He thinks it may be some gasket (I don't remember with which part), which can lead to cross flows and pressure drops in the transmission. Worst case, I'm reconciled to redoing the bearings, clutches, etc (wear items). But they will test things and see if in fact it is the valve body - which I will have rebuilt if it is.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16 AM
New Members

Hi KyleB, I spent 3 days on and off finishing reading the entire 23 pages, the 1st page was absolutely a great write up, thanks!

Here's my story:
1. bought this 2007 525 XI AWD at 27k miles in 2010 from its 1st owner
2. at 48k miles, found the under cover soaked with oily fluid, found the sealing sleeve leaking and replaced it. It was a PITA to replace the sleeve on XI model, I ended up just swapping the 3 or 4 flat/o-rings off of the new sleeve (the old rings are in orange color and the new ones are black) onto the old sleeve without taking it out of that tight space, new pan/filter, 6.5L of lifeguard6, and 24 new bolts (8 N.M), no more leaks.
3. starting 60k or so, I had started to experience this constant 2-1 jerking when coming to a full stop at the lights at "D"; fine, I was thinking maybe it was time to replace the solenoids and seals, etc. So I went ahead ordered the set of 6 solenoids and seals (1 bridge and 4 sleeve seals) and the foam strip from CTCS. So finally at 80k, I got under the car, dropped the pan, but could not get the sealing sleeve to come out (space is really tight!) At that time, I lost patience (under a <24" clearance off the ground), just replaced the pan and 6.x L lifeguard6 fluid, called it a quit. The new parts have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust since.
4. Now I'm at 111k, the 2-1 jerking is still there, but adding to that is an occasional clunking from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, never any problem down shifting, never any code/warning.

Being plagued with OCD, I am feeling the urge to follow your page1 steps every day since it's due for another drain-fill and I have almost everything including INPA to do the solenoid job.

Now my questions:
1. will solenoids most likely solve my 2-1, 1-2/2-3 problem?
2. since I never had any codes, is it likely the problem has not manifested to a too serious stage?
3. there are likely 2 ATF fill holes on the XI model, one is blocked by the drive shaft and another one right above the mechatronic sleeve penetration corner. are these 2 fill holes at equal height and either can be used? (I have been using the one near the mechatronic sleeve for the past 2 drain-fill, for this one, I still had to remove the exhaust hangers).
4. Can I use Mercon SP? I hate the $25/L price tag of Lifeguard6
5. If I drop the valve body, how many liters of liquid do you recommend that I get?

I have had nothing but problems with this car, leaking oil cooler housing, leaking VANOS solenoids, bad belt tensioner, torn upper control arm bushing at 33k miles(!!!), engine mount bracket 4 aluminum bolts snapped off, leaking radiator, leaking oil pan gasket, leaking everything!

Thank you KyleB and all other posters, I learned so much from you guys!

Originally Posted by KyleB
great info, where exactly did you have yours rebuilt? do you have any contact info?

Last edited by seanddd; 05-13-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:09 PM
New Members

@seanddd

Sorry for the late reply. I don't seem to be getting notified about new posts here. It didn't fix the problem. I am presently having the valve body redone - all the little valves and springs inside it. Based on "experts" that I've spoken with, or through 2nd hand comments on the car's performance, this should resolve the issue.

If it doesn't, I will likely need new bearings and clutches inside the transmission.

Last edited by gmak; 05-12-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:47 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanddd
Hi KyleB, I spent 3 days on and off finishing reading the entire 23 pages, the 1st page was absolutely a great write up, thanks!

Here's my story:
1. bought this 2007 525 XI AWD at 27k miles in 2010 from its 1st owner
2. at 48k miles, found the under cover soaked with oily fluid, found the sealing sleeve leaking and replaced it. It was a PITA to replace the sleeve on XI model, I ended up just swapping the 3 or 4 flat/o-rings off of the new sleeve (the old rings are in orange color and the new ones are black) onto the old sleeve without taking it out of that tight space, new pan/filter, 6.5L of lifeguard6, and 24 new bolts (8 N.M), no more leaks.
3. starting 60k or so, I had started to experience this constant 2-1 lurking when coming to a full stop at the lights at "D"; fine, I was thinking maybe it was time to replace the solenoids and seals, etc. So I went ahead ordered the set of 6 solenoids and seals (1 bridge and 4 sleeve seals) and the foam strip from CTCS. So finally at 80k, I got under the car, dropped the pan, but could not get the sealing sleeve to come out (space is really tight!) At that time, I lost patience (under a <24" clearance off the ground), just replaced the pan and 6.x L lifeguard6 fluid, called it a quit. The new parts have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust since.
4. Now I'm at 111k, the 2-1 lurking is still there, but adding to that is an occasional clunking from 1 to 2 or 2 to 3, never any problem down shifting, never any code/warning.

Being plagued with OCD, I am feeling the urge to follow your page1 steps every day since it's due for another drain-fill and I have almost everything including INPA to do the solenoid job.

Now my questions:
1. will solenoids most likely solve my 2-1, 1-2/2-3 problem?
2. since I never had any codes, is it likely the problem has not manifested to a too serious stage?
3. there are likely 2 ATF fill holes on the XI model, one is blocked by the drive shaft and another one right above the mechatronic sleeve penetration corner. are these 2 fill holes at equal height and either can be used? (I have been using the one near the mechatronic sleeve for the past 2 drain-fill, for this one, I still had to remove the exhaust hangers).
4. Can I use Mercon SP? I hate the $25/L price tag of Lifeguard6
5. If I drop the valve body, how many liters of liquid do you recommend that I get?

I have had nothing but problems with this car, leaking oil cooler housing, leaking VANOS solenoids, bad belt tensioner, torn upper control arm bushing at 33k miles(!!!), engine mount bracket 4 aluminum bolts snapped off, leaking radiator, leaking oil pan gasket, leaking everything!

Thank you KyleB and all other posters, I learned so much from you guys!

1. Solenoids will solve the problem if the valve body itself is not compromised. Solenoids are the step after ATF change.
2. Possibly. That's what I've been told by "experts". That if the issue is in its infancy, it can be solved through solenoids or valve body retrofit.
3. I have an XI and used the fill hole behind the front drive shaft, which I remove by undoing the four torx bolts at the transfer case. Note that you will have to take off the Transfer case bracket (and put a jack under the transfer case for support, if you want to change out the mechatronic sleeve.
4. Amsoil has an ATF that is compatible with the xf requirements that is about CAD$11 a quart. I'm sure that liquid-moly has one as well. I would avoid the Mercon SP - there is still a debate going on about whether or not it is a direct substitute.
5. I had my valve body out for 2 weeks while I waited for the foam strip to arrive (It doesn't come with the solenoid kit but must be ordered separately) I needed about 8 liters (almost 9 quarts). But there was some spillage.

I replaced the pan (which has the filter attached to it) and the 23 torx bolts that hold it in place. I also replaced the 4 rubber tubes, the square gasket / grommet - but not the mechatronic sleeve (mine appeared to be ok). But I'm getting the sleeve replaced now with the valve body rebuild just because....

Last edited by gmak; 05-12-2017 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 AM
New Members

Hi gmak, waiting to hear a good news about your VB rebuild, good luck!

On your answer #3, there's a filler plug at the corner of the mechatronic sleeve (passenger side, rear corner), it's the one that I used during the past 2 drain-fills. To access it, I had to remove the exhaust pipe hanger bracket but that's all. I never disconnected the front drive shaft on the driver side of the transmission box, so I had no idea there is another filler plug behind it.

Anyone experienced with the xi AWD all wheel drive model please comment on these 2 fill plugs?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by gmak
3. I have an XI and used the fill hole behind the front drive shaft, which I remove by undoing the four torx bolts at the transfer case. Note that you will have to take off the Transfer case bracket (and put a jack under the transfer case for support, if you want to change out the mechatronic sleeve.

Last edited by seanddd; 05-13-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:43 PM
New Members

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i
Model Year: 2006
Default 6HP19 Repair This Thursday or Friday.

So, I decided to hold off and not Service my Transmission. Last week, I gave in and order the parts from 3 different places.

See attached file: thectsc_mechatronic_replacement.pdf - Very Good Information, Including ZF Torque Specifications.

eBay -

ZF 6HP19 6HP26 6HP32 Auto Transmission Solenoid kit ZF# 1068298044, 2004-UP | eBay

ZF Solenoid Protection Foam Strip ZF6HP19 ZF6HP26 ZF6HP21 ZF6HP28 ZF# 1068327241 | eBay

FCPEURO -

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-24152333907kt

CTSC -

Sealing sleeve kit 6HP19/21
Mechatronic Seal Adapter late 6HP19 & 6HP21
Mechatronic sealing sleeve

I will do my best to take as many pictures and video as possible....

I'm only getting the 2-1 Jolt after coming to a stop...... One code was stored in EGS

4F86 Ratio-monitoring Symptom Circuit-monitoring
Torque converter clutch open (Type of shift 2 after 1, shift 1 after 1,4F shift 3 after 4)

Indicating that the problem is with the TCC Solenoid

Source: Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - Transmission error codes

Source: Bimmerfest - BMW Forums - View Single Post - 06 525 Transmission Issues - Advice Welcomed

UPDATE: 5/17/2017 - I will be fixing my transmission at 5pm EST today.

ALL PARTS ARE HERE. !!!!!!!!!

Also worth a good read. Check out this guy - Transmission Fault ZF BMW Repair Fix Problem with Jaguar Range Rover

Attached Files

Last edited by TeflonDon; 05-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM
New Members

TeflonDon, you use Pentosin ATF1? What about the remaining Lifeguard6 oil in the TC, mixed in? Waiting for further update!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: KyleB's 6HP19 service thread