DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

iPod inerface installation help

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read all the threads and couldn't find anything that relates to my problem . I have a 2005 545i with no nav. I do have a cd changer in the glove box. I installed the iPod interface which from what I have read so far, supposed to be plug and play but that's not the case. When I plug in my iPhone, it charges it but I can't access my music thru idrive. Does this mean that I need to visit the dealer for coding?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Many BMW's

mainly because your car is not MP3 enabled ,, in this case you will not be able to use the Ipod interface ...

when you say you don't have navigation ,,but do you have I-Drive ?

you may post a picture of your dashboard ..
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Originally Posted by melpacino
I've read all the threads and couldn't find anything that relates to my problem . I have a 2005 545i with no nav. I do have a cd changer in the glove box. I installed the iPod interface which from what I have read so far, supposed to be plug and play but that's not the case. When I plug in my iPhone, it charges it but I can't access my music thru idrive. Does this mean that I need to visit the dealer for coding?

Yes your car will need coding. Ehssan all E60`s had idrive that's the module it self not the navigation.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BLooD
Yes your car will need coding. Ehssan all E60`s had idrive that's the module it self not the navigation.
I know dude ,, but just wanted to make sure ,,, because here in Dubai all the cars even with MASK still has navigation ..
Old 02-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

Thank you for the info. Now my next question is, once they enable the mp3, would that be enough for the iPod to work or is there more coding to be done besides the mp3. Because I hear that BMW will enable the mp3 reading free of charge due to customer complaints.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Thank you for the info. Now my next question is, once they enable the mp3, would that be enough for the iPod to work or is there more coding to be done besides the mp3. Because I hear that BMW will enable the mp3 reading free of charge due to customer complaints.

Thanks
yes once they enable the MP3 , you can simply swap the CD changer with the Ipod interface .. it will work straight way ..good luck
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Thanks
They will not due it free now, MP3 functionality was added in 2006 and a free update was made available for E60`s 2003-2005, the SIB for this ran out quite a while ago.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Since your car is a USA model without navigation then you have the M-ASK controller, not the CCC, so you will need the dealer to enable the iPod kit in iDrive. I have yet to read of anyone in the USA with a M-ASK controller who was able to plug-and-play the iPod kit without going to the dealer. I still hope to be proven wrong!

When I installed Sirius in my car I called three different dealerships and was quoted anywhere from $135-450 for coding the car. It only takes about an hour (or less) to activate the option (they usually don't have to code the entire car) but not all of the service advisors know this- or they do and try to rip you off anyway- so it pays to call around. You should try an independent shop as well.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

Since your car is a USA model without navigation then you have the M-ASK controller, not the CCC, so you will need the dealer to enable the iPod kit in iDrive. I have yet to read of anyone in the USA with a M-ASK controller who was able to plug-and-play the iPod kit without going to the dealer. I still hope to be proven wrong!

When I installed Sirius in my car I called three different dealerships and was quoted anywhere from $135-450 for coding the car. It only takes about an hour (or less) to activate the option (they usually don't have to code the entire car) but not all of the service advisors know this- or they do and try to rip you off anyway- so it pays to call around. You should try an independent shop as well.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:44 PM
Members

Thank you very much for the useful info.