DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Installing Amp/Sub in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Guys,
I have installed the Sub/ Amp in the trunk, using the instructions below.

Left + Black/Red
Left - Black/Violet
Right + Black/White
Right - Black/Brown
On/Off White/Violet

However, the base was not even 1/4 of what it used to be in my E46 with the same amp and sub. I did some homework, especially on the adapter that I have in the middle of my connections to factory amp, and new amp. It seems like it is a signal reducer (picture attached). Is it possible that I am taking the input before the amp (however, I think its after, you can see the pictures) and reducing it further before it goes into the after market amp? If its not, then where could have I gone wrong?

I am also not sure if my remote is working properly or not. Coz, I can see the amp's light on, even when the sound system/ car is off.

Is it better to take this signal reducer out, or connect to factory system after the amp?

Will really appreciate your feedback.
Attached Thumbnails Installing Amp/Sub in the trunk-imag0400.jpg   Installing Amp/Sub in the trunk-imag0401.jpg   Installing Amp/Sub in the trunk-417e7nfxgvl._ss400_.jpg   Installing Amp/Sub in the trunk-imag0404.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I remember reading that there is already a low level input to the amp. So with that said, It looks like you're taking the low level with a line-level converter and putting them to low levels and then feeding amp with RCA. I would just look at your amps high level input and hook up to the amp that way. that's what I did and it worked fine. R +/- and L+/- and then extend them to the amp's input and connect it. You may or may not need the ground wire on the high-level input.
This is how I did it and it worked fine. But be sure to solder everything and use shrink loom as I see you're using electrical tape and I have to frown upon this. I hope this is just thrown in to test before you hook everything up and neatly run/hide wires.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
I remember reading that there is already a low level input to the amp. So with that said, It looks like you're taking the low level with a line-level converter and putting them to low levels and then feeding amp with RCA. I would just look at your amps high level input and hook up to the amp that way. that's what I did and it worked fine. R +/- and L+/- and then extend them to the amp's input and connect it. You may or may not need the ground wire on the high-level input.
This is how I did it and it worked fine. But be sure to solder everything and use shrink loom as I see you're using electrical tape and I have to frown upon this. I hope this is just thrown in to test before you hook everything up and neatly run/hide wires.
Thanks man...

I actually just did it a little while ago.. the exact same thing that you said . Took out the RCA and converter, and connected it to Amps high level input.
Not sure about the ground wire (I never had it)... however; the remote is working fine (checked it).
Yes, I have to get out of the habit of using electrical tape and start using proper connectors. I didnt have them, so I actually redid it the same way :$. Whats the downside? Isnt that electrical tape meant to be used for this purpose?

Thanks again
Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

So all is working now?
Don't worry about ground if your amp doesn't have...all are different.
Electrical tape is OK for testing but really you should slip a few pieces of looming of the wire, connect it up and solder it together, and put a the loom over it and heat and then repeat for the second one so you have two shieldings. Electrical tape doesn't stick well when hot (this is summer). Besides me having OCD it's just best practice to keep things professional.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 AM
New Members

Default Need help finding where wires located to install amp

hello everyone, i really need help on how to find the actual wires to connect an after market amp, my car is a e60 2004 model with no factory amp or subs. im pretty sure it is the standard sound system with just 4 speakers. can anyone help please
Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i JNT
hello everyone, i really need help on how to find the actual wires to connect an after market amp, my car is a e60 2004 model with no factory amp or subs. im pretty sure it is the standard sound system with just 4 speakers. can anyone help please
Post up the last 7 of your VIN and we'll see.
You can also look in the boot to see if an amp is physically present. If not then at least the plug is there. It would be best to physically check. That way you may get more accurate help.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by umermariner
Thanks man...

I actually just did it a little while ago.. the exact same thing that you said . Took out the RCA and converter, and connected it to Amps high level input.
Not sure about the ground wire (I never had it)... however; the remote is working fine (checked it).
Yes, I have to get out of the habit of using electrical tape and start using proper connectors. I didnt have them, so I actually redid it the same way :$. Whats the downside? Isnt that electrical tape meant to be used for this purpose?

Thanks again
Can you please explain to me indepth on how to wire the high level input wires to the OEM wires going to the stock amp. I've been searching for weeks on how to actually wire them up.