DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

how often do you change your oil...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Amethest Grey 530i--AC Schnitzer Kit all the way around--Quad Magna Flow Exhaust--20" MMR wheel 4.5 inch lip--

I have an 04' 530i just wondering how often I should change the oil. Is it every 3k or can i wait longer since we use fully synthetic?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by starpup' post='792858' date='Feb 14 2009, 11:26 AM
I have an 04' 530i just wondering how often I should change the oil. Is it every 3k or can i wait longer since we use fully synthetic?
per the manual: 15K miles...most members suggest around 5K-7K, especially if you own/not leasing....
Old 02-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by starpup' post='792858' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:26 PM
There's no set answer ... not all synthetics are created equal and not every driver style is the same. However, IMHO every 3K miles is an antiquated (and wasteful) schedule unless you are driving a taxi in the Artic!

If you are regularly doing highway miles your oil change intervals might be longer than someone who does a lot of stop and go, short trips. Extreme cold or extreme hot climates can contribute to accelerated oil breakdown. Some synthetics have more robust additive packages that claim to offer longer change intervals.

And your BMW will take those factors into consideration when computing your oil change intervals. Under all conditions I suggest an oil service once per year at a minimum!

Want to feel better and "hope" your engine will run longer then split that time and mileage in half and go 2x a year. If you're putting on lots of miles in the same time period split the time into thirds or quarters.

Hope that doesn't confuse you!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: Amethest Grey 530i--AC Schnitzer Kit all the way around--Quad Magna Flow Exhaust--20" MMR wheel 4.5 inch lip--

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='792873' date='Feb 14 2009, 02:43 PM
There's no set answer ... not all synthetics are created equal and not every driver style is the same. However, IMHO every 3K miles is an antiquated (and wasteful) schedule unless you are driving a taxi in the Artic!

If you are regularly doing highway miles your oil change intervals might be longer than someone who does a lot of stop and go, short trips. Extreme cold or extreme hot climates can contribute to accelerated oil breakdown. Some synthetics have more robust additive packages that claim to offer longer change intervals.

And your BMW will take those factors into consideration when computing your oil change intervals. Under all conditions I suggest an oil service once per year at a minimum!

Want to feel better and "hope" your engine will run longer then split that time and mileage in half and go 2x a year. If you're putting on lots of miles in the same time period split the time into thirds or quarters.

Hope that doesn't confuse you!

Thank You everyone for the info!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Contributors

for the relitivly low cost of an oil and filter change i do it every 5,000 miles (on diesel engines)

its entirely up to you...what price do you put on piece of mind?
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

Unless you have the car on a track or you are sitting in gridlock traffic ever day, you can change the oil annually or every 5000 miles. Of course, if you have the time and extra cash to do it every 3000 miles, you'll just be making that motor last even longer.

Oil and filters are cheap compared to the cost of a new motor. I say change it as often as you want! Lord knows that the BMW intervals of 10,000 miles are ludicrous. Hence the reason I refused to buy my CPO BMW with more than 15k on it.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Its funny, when I got my e39, I use to change oil at 3K, I drive alot, so every 2 months. I now change every 5K, I get my filtter from BMW
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

every 6k to 7k km
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I never change mine, I just top it up when the dip stick says its low or the light comes on
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 530d M-Sport TouringExterior: Titansilber Metallic, M5 mirrors, ACS rear roof spoiler, BMW Carbon Fiber rear diffuser, Adaptive Xenon headlights, AngeliBright v.3 Angel Eyes, F1 Autohaus Euphoria 6000K LED license plate lightsInterior: Black

Once a year.

Quick Reply: how often do you change your oil...