DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to fix windscreen washer jets blocked or losing pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Metalic Gray, Premium Package

Couldn't wait for answers. Followed the DIY instructions to clean the filters. There appear to be two pump/filter in the tank, one for inlet and one for outlet. Tested both pumps while all hoses disconnected and neither seemed to function. But after put all things back together, spray worked great.

Great DIY instructions.
Thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:10 AM
New Members

530d E60 - Wicked advice especially as I had read that you needed to take the wheel off to sort this and there was no other way. Sorted this in about 20 mins, saved a ton of hassle but best of all saved a few quid big style!

As per advice previously, be careful when extracting the black rubber grommet (after u gently prise the pump out) with the small white filter attached, this comes off easily and could fall back into the washer container.

Huge thanks for taking the time and effort in posting this info!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM
New Members

Thanks, this worked for me yesterday!!! You should charge commission....! ;-)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 AM
New Members

I'm replying just to say thank you, and to anyone else like me who is more of a "software" guy than a "hardware" guy, go on, you'll do just fine and feel really good afterwards.
My local stealer even said I should do it myself as they will rip me off. The instructions are great.
You may get a bit frustrated with the liner (I had to do about 7 screws I think) trying to get it folded up out of the way, and you may have to play with the wheel position a bit to give you the most room, but stick with it. My little plastic filter was completely solid with yellowy-white gunk and after cleaning and reassembly it works perfectly.
Thank you very much for posting the guide, and crack on those people who don't normally get dirty, you'll not regret it. 30 minutes tops.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:12 AM
New Members

Marvellous instructions!

Ended up taking 6 screws out in the end.

Getting the pump out was a bit stiff but it was plain sailing from then...can't believe BMW charge upwards of £150 to do it!
Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM
New Members

Just done this morning. Thank you very much, saved me a small fortune.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 520d Touring
Default Thanks for the instructions!

My E61 suffered the same fate, loss of washer jet pressure and then nothing. It took me about 45 minutes to get the job done and also took the opportunity to flush the tank. Only difference was that being a Touring my car had a second pump for the back but same instructions applied.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535i X Drive Premium

Awesome! I will have to do this as my jets really suck. Thanks!
Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525i E60 LCI

Works a treat! Thank you so much.

If you are really lazy, you could get by by removing just 3 screws with the wheels turned to the left. It allows you enough room to get the job done in a single sitting without restarting the car and turning the wheel right then left. The 3 screws (9mm hex bolts actually) to remove are the outermost, towards the bottom, somewhat in a L layout.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM
Members

My Ride: M5 Fully Loaded
Model Year: 2008
Engine: S85 V10
Default Guys I did everything and still no stream from nozzles

I even tried pumping compressed air with compressor at 120psi through the hose and NOTHING came out of the nozzle. Removed the rubber hose right where it attaches to nozzle and compressed air came out. So, it seems that the nozzles themselves are clogged. Can't seem to figure out how to remove them. Any ideas?

Thanks

Quick Reply: How to fix windscreen washer jets blocked or losing pressure