DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How do you know if spark plugs are failing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am amazed at people who do not indicate any problems with plugs, but after they change their plugs, they state that the performance has improved.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but here are the symptoms of worn out plugs:

1. Some of the plugs will not fire.
2. Engine will feel like it is misfiring or stumbling.

Certainly, we should change plugs after x number of miles or when the engine misfires.

If your engine is running smoothly, and if you are not approaching the recommended number of miles for plug replacement, there really will not be any improvement in performance.

I know of a guy who swears that his car runs faster and smoother after an oil change. (He has not changed plugs because he does not know what a spark plug is.)

OK; shoot.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='829924' date='Mar 29 2009, 05:22 PM
I am amazed at people who do not indicate any problems with plugs, but after they change their plugs, they state that the performance has improved.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but here are the symptoms of worn out plugs:

1. Some of the plugs will not fire.
2. Engine will feel like it is misfiring or stumbling.

Certainly, we should change plugs after x number of miles or when the engine misfires.

If your engine is running smoothly, and if you are not approaching the recommended number of miles for plug replacement, there really will not be any improvement in performance.

I know of a guy who swears that his car runs faster and smoother after an oil change. (He has not changed plugs because he does not know what a spark plug is.)

OK; shoot.
Slower acceleration is also a symptom. I am going to change my plugs when I get to 40k.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

In my case, I felt the car struggling to start and also noted a performance drop off that was gradual. The engine ran MUCH smoother and performance improved noteably with the plug change..,