DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How do I get rid of this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='788625' date='Feb 9 2009, 09:21 AM
it's not a cover, it's the retaining clip for the pads. it's $11 new. if you paint, make sure you use paint specificially made for the purpose, or at least high-temperature paint (for BBQs, etc.) otherwise it will burn off.
At $11 a piece, I'd replace them and avoid all the extra work of painting etc!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Paint them high temperature paint
Old 02-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Contributors

BBQ Paint!?!?! hahaha
Old 02-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='789359' date='Feb 10 2009, 10:46 AM
BBQ Paint!?!?! hahaha
it's the same stuff, usually only available in black or silver though. if you can live with one of those two colors, why pay more for the same thing?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='789359
it's the same stuff, usually only available in black or silver though. if you can live with one of those two colors, why pay more for the same thing?
agreed...some have even used it to paint their engines...although I believe it comes in red also...
Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Members

All have right answers, not to expensive to replace them and paint them with high temperature. I had same problem when I bought mine a year ago. I used sand paper and black caliper paint and they still look awesome these days, I even had rusted the center part of the rotors so I did also paint them with grey caliper paint. A little bit of work in one weekend will pay off for many happy weekends. If you like I will give you some DIY guidelines to make your rusted calipers look like showroom.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i-premium sound-sport package-winter package-gogolphonic stereo with a moonrock needle

Bring it, JMM! I gotta do it too. Thought it was a coastal salt air thing. My '07 came from the left coast and now it's on the middle coast.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by tsampsel' post='790550' date='Feb 11 2009, 03:50 PM
Bring it, JMM! I gotta do it too. Thought it was a coastal salt air thing. My '07 came from the left coast and now it's on the middle coast.
i think wheel cleaner selection has something to do with it as well.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Members

These are the parts you will need before you start the job;
a) Go to any parts store and buy the caliper paint; once you are there you will select the color you want, I used the black to let my wheels standout.
b) Buy a package of wet/dry sandpaper (I used 3M P600).
c) A roll of 2" masking tape, if you can get the blue kind used by the painters is better because the adhesive is not that strong.
d) Get a bucket with water and couple dry rags.
e) Buy a bottle of nail polish.
Steps to follow;
1) Before start, using a water hose rinse off all your wheels and calipers in order to get all the dust off. Clean the area with soap and rinse again.
2) I recommend to do one wheel at the time, but you can lift the front or rear of your car and do two at the time. Whatever you choose ensure once the car is lifted it is safe and stable. Take off the wheel(s) and using the bucket and the sandpaper get all the rust off from the calipers, do not be afraid of getting to the bare metal; the key here is to eliminate as much as possible all rusted areas. Once you see the rust is gone rinse the calipers and rotors with a wet rag and dry it later.
3) Using the tape, cover the areas adyacent to the calipers. The goal here is to leave only the calipers exposed.
4) I do not know if I transferred correctly the pics from my wheels, but like I mentioned earlier I used the black for the calipers and the grey color for the center of the discs. The final stage is to paint the calipers, very important is to apply the paint when the area is completely dry otherwise the paint will flake and fall off later. Use back and forth movements when painting to avoid excessive paint in one area. I recommend at least three coats of paint. Once you are done with last coat let the area dry for an hour then proceed to remove the masking tape carefully. Using the nail polish and a clean rag wipe off any area that was oversprayed, the purpose of this to avoid that extra paint to get into your brake pads.
5) At this point it is time to put everything back and do the other wheels.
If you decide to do also the center part of your rotors like I did you can do it at the same time when you are doing the calipers, but I recommend do first the center and later the caliper. Remember before you start painting, leave exposed only the area you want to paint. Ah one more tip, you can paint your bolts with the caliper paint as well.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails How do I get rid of this?-3rd_download_437.jpg   How do I get rid of this?-3rd_download_434.jpg   How do I get rid of this?-3rd_download_435.jpg  
Old 02-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JMM525i' post='790972' date='Feb 12 2009, 12:43 AM
These are the parts you will need before you start the job;
a) Go to any parts store and buy the caliper paint; once you are there you will select the color you want, I used the black to let my wheels standout.
b) Buy a package of wet/dry sandpaper (I used 3M P600).
c) A roll of 2" masking tape, if you can get the blue kind used by the painters is better because the adhesive is not that strong.
d) Get a bucket with water and couple dry rags.
e) Buy a bottle of nail polish.
Steps to follow;
1) Before start, using a water hose rinse off all your wheels and calipers in order to get all the dust off. Clean the area with soap and rinse again.
2) I recommend to do one wheel at the time, but you can lift the front or rear of your car and do two at the time. Whatever you choose ensure once the car is lifted it is safe and stable. Take off the wheel(s) and using the bucket and the sandpaper get all the rust off from the calipers, do not be afraid of getting to the bare metal; the key here is to eliminate as much as possible all rusted areas. Once you see the rust is gone rinse the calipers and rotors with a wet rag and dry it later.
3) Using the tape, cover the areas adyacent to the calipers. The goal here is to leave only the calipers exposed.
4) I do not know if I transferred correctly the pics from my wheels, but like I mentioned earlier I used the black for the calipers and the grey color for the center of the discs. The final stage is to paint the calipers, very important is to apply the paint when the area is completely dry otherwise the paint will flake and fall off later. Use back and forth movements when painting to avoid excessive paint in one area. I recommend at least three coats of paint. Once you are done with last coat let the area dry for an hour then proceed to remove the masking tape carefully. Using the nail polish and a clean rag wipe off any area that was oversprayed, the purpose of this to avoid that extra paint to get into your brake pads.
5) At this point it is time to put everything back and do the other wheels.
If you decide to do also the center part of your rotors like I did you can do it at the same time when you are doing the calipers, but I recommend do first the center and later the caliper. Remember before you start painting, leave exposed only the area you want to paint. Ah one more tip, you can paint your bolts with the caliper paint as well.
Good luck!
Good post, couple corrections, though...

1) I think you meant nail polish REMOVER, not nail polish.

2) Don't worry about spraying paint on your rotor drum or getting a little on the pads. The second you drive it will burn it off fast as hell.

Quick Reply: How do I get rid of this?