DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to disable the door chime?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to disable the door chime?

I'd really like to disable the door chime- it annoys the heck out of me. By force of habit, I get in the car and put the key in the ignition before closing the door. For some reason, the car chimes at me as if I'm an idiot who didn't know I just got in the car.

Does anyone know if there is a software setting for this?

Also please note, I could just put the key in after I close the door, and I've tried that but old habits die hard. And the point of this post is to find out whether there's a software setting or an easy way to disable this. So can we please not get into a fruitless discussion on the usefulness of chimes, seat belt laws, morons who don't wear seat belts, etc. I just don't like the car beeping at me.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

I got used to this since i got the car for 1 year ago

And i think theres no way to disable it, it is a manufactured safety default

I might be wrong
Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i've been trying to find out. At least mine isnt super loud. My friend's car is super loud and scares the hell outta you. It's like "GOOOONG!!!!" The stupid chime actually MADE me put on my seat belt even when I am driving only one block down.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 White 530xi

Someone on this forum mentioned that the speaker for the annoying chime is up under the dash on the drivers side. Anyone who figures this out, please let us know. I'm sure there are plenty of owners who hate this annoying noise! Chris
Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

I checked the speaker under the driver side dash last night- I really thought I could just disconnect it and the chime would be gone. But I was horrified to find out the chime is coming out of the door speakers, not the under dash speaker. (Actually, I'm not sure what the under dash speaker is for if not for the chime.) My car is a 2008 E61- it might be different on other models.

This will require more sleuthing. I hate that damn chime.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by vwvwvw
This will require more sleuthing. I hate that damn chime.
Sleuth no more. I can tell you that the chime is created by the body gateway module and it send a K_CAN message with ID 0x205 with two bytes of data that is seen by the ASK and that produces the sound.

There are two ways to resolve the problem:
Create a CAN-BUS filter that would exclude certain messages from being received by the CCC/M-ASK.
or
Ground the GE/BL wire in the door's lock wiring harness (it's the Hall effect sensor that tells when the latch is closed)
Old 04-23-2010, 06:35 PM
Members

+1 Chime is annoying - much too loud compared to my X5 e53 - would love to know how to lower the volume
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Contributors

easy.......close the door
Old 04-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
easy.......close the door
+1
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
Sleuth no more. I can tell you that the chime is created by the body gateway module and it send a K_CAN message with ID 0x205 with two bytes of data that is seen by the ASK and that produces the sound.

There are two ways to resolve the problem:
Create a CAN-BUS filter that would exclude certain messages from being received by the CCC/M-ASK.
or
Ground the GE/BL wire in the door's lock wiring harness (it's the Hall effect sensor that tells when the latch is closed)
550i, I'm really glad you have details on this. A few questions:
- Where is the body gateway module located? Do you have its connector pinout?
- Would filtering the CAN-BUS x205 command also disable the interior lighting when the door is opened? (I assume grounding the latch sensor would.) I'd like to keep the lighting working.
- Do you have a map for the data in the x205 command?
- Do you know if there are software settings for this?

I can build a CAN filter if necessary (I am an EE), but would want to go a simpler route if possible. I can share my plans if I wind up building something.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: How to disable the door chime?