DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to check ATF level ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally did my Automatic Transmission Fluid and filter change on my 04 525i at 112000 miles.

Surprisingly, the oil looked good, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did not do the flush service, just drain and fill.

So what I did was, I drained the old fluid, took the old oil pan out and put new one on, pumped new fluid through fill-whole until fluid started spilling out, tightened plug, turned car on, put my foot on brake and shifted through the gears, put it back in park and turned car off. I then removed the plug and pumped more fluid until it started spilling out, put the plug back on again and took the car for a ride on freeway. I came back and put the car back on the lift, turned it off and took the plug out to see if it will take more oil but as soon as I took the plug out, oil started spilling out and I would say that about a full quart came out. Not sure why but I put the plug on and that was it.

But now Im not sure if I should've refilled when car is on and in gear?? Maybe at a certain temperature?? Is there a way to check the ATF level without using the dealer scanner??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ziad' post='802213' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:29 PM
I finally did my Automatic Transmission Fluid and filter change on my 04 525i at 112000 miles.

Surprisingly, the oil looked good, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I did not do the flush service, just drain and fill.

So what I did was, I drained the old fluid, took the old oil pan out and put new one on, pumped new fluid through fill-whole until fluid started spilling out, tightened plug, turned car on, put my foot on brake and shifted through the gears, put it back in park and turned car off. I then removed the plug and pumped more fluid until it started spilling out, put the plug back on again and took the car for a ride on freeway. I came back and put the car back on the lift, turned it off and took the plug out to see if it will take more oil but as soon as I took the plug out, oil started spilling out and I would say that about a full quart came out. Not sure why but I put the plug on and that was it.

But now Im not sure if I should've refilled when car is on and in gear?? Maybe at a certain temperature?? Is there a way to check the ATF level without using the dealer scanner??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
The correct fluid level is checked with the engine idling and the tranny within a specific temp range.

I am not sure what the exact temp range is, but I'd be comfortable using a tranny temp that is slightly warm to the touch.

But the most important thing for you right now is to fill the tranny with the engine idling and the tranny at a reasonable cool temp (not rigth after coming off the freeway)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I got this instruction from Rudy. Hope it will help.
Attached Files
Old 02-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='802297' date='Feb 26 2009, 01:35 PM
I got this instruction from Rudy. Hope it will help.
Yes, this is from the BMW service manual. The service tool they refer to is probably a computer hook up of some sort, and it will probably instruct technician to bring tranny fluid up to a certain temp wit fill open and then re-install plug.

It is basically what I did and suggesdt others do, with the exception of guesstimating the tranny temp, and erring on the cooler side so there will at least enough fluid in there...I'd rather the tranny be a tiny bit overfilled than underfilled.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vaca' post='802356' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:03 PM
Yes, this is from the BMW service manual. The service tool they refer to is probably a computer hook up of some sort, and it will probably instruct technician to bring tranny fluid up to a certain temp wit fill open and then re-install plug.

It is basically what I did and suggesdt others do, with the exception of guesstimating the tranny temp, and erring on the cooler side so there will at least enough fluid in there...I'd rather the tranny be a tiny bit overfilled than underfilled.
A bit overfill is OK. Too much overfill will have bad effect. I am thinking to measure how much fluid coming out of the drain plug, and then pump back the same amount or a little bit more back to the sump after the 2 refills.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by lcc014' post='802360' date='Feb 26 2009, 03:11 PM
A bit overfill is OK. Too much overfill will have bad effect. I am thinking to measure how much fluid coming out of the drain plug, and then pump back the same amount or a little bit more back to the sump after the 2 refills.
That sounds like a good idea, but it's dependent on not spilling any fluid while re-filling. I was NOT successful at not spilling while re-filling.

Also, what if some of the original fill evaporated or seeps out a little here or there, or even what if the original fill wasn't exactly right to begin with.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, and how much fluid you get out.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vaca' post='802998' date='Feb 27 2009, 10:56 AM
That sounds like a good idea, but it's dependent on not spilling any fluid while re-filling. I was NOT successful at not spilling while re-filling.

Also, what if some of the original fill evaporated or seeps out a little here or there, or even what if the original fill wasn't exactly right to begin with.

Good luck and let us know how you make out, and how much fluid you get out.
Will do.