DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

How to change front directional bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Anyone have instructions how to replace the bulbs.
I looked at it quickly last night but didn't see an easy way.
I thought I'd post here first before unscrewing things at random.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You can randomly unscrew things or you can RTFM...

Page 187 of the .pdf manual (page 185 of the paper manual) shows you how to do this.

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I knew you'd come through Rudy!
Thanks!
Old 03-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Time for some silver turn signal bulbs??

Silver Turn Signal Bulbs
Old 04-01-2005, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Mar 29 2005, 11:17 AM
Time for some silver turn signal bulbs??

Silver Turn Signal Bulbs
[snapback]108246[/snapback]
Yup! Just can't find the time to do it. I did replace the side marker lights but haven't had time to even look at the manual to see how to change the turn signals. Maybe if I spent a little time OFF of this forum.....
Old 11-23-2005, 05:47 AM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

I'm currently changing my front turn signal amber bulbs that came with the car, to Solaris mirror-coat bulbs which I bought from Bimmian.com.

In the US, the front bulbs are wedge-type bulbs.

I have currently replaced the front driver side, will do the front passenger side later today. They are very easy to remove--the whole assembly simply needs to be rotated clockwise (when you're at the front facing the rear), and the plastic insert with the bulb comes free. The bulb is easily changed also.

The hard part is getting the housing assembly to rotation counter-clockwise back into place, as the space for getting your hand in there is tight. I have small hands, and still hard a very hard time getting it to rotate/snap back into place. Very frustrating!!!

Perhaps someone has some tricks to do this without removing the Torx screws that hold the headlight assembly in place???
Old 11-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by IHC' post='202449' date='Nov 23 2005, 06:47 AM
I'm currently changing my front turn signal amber bulbs that came with the car, to Solaris mirror-coat bulbs which I bought from Bimmian.com.

In the US, the front bulbs are wedge-type bulbs.

I have currently replaced the front driver side, will do the front passenger side later today. They are very easy to remove--the whole assembly simply needs to be rotated clockwise (when you're at the front facing the rear), and the plastic insert with the bulb comes free. The bulb is easily changed also.

The hard part is getting the housing assembly to rotation counter-clockwise back into place, as the space for getting your hand in there is tight. I have small hands, and still hard a very hard time getting it to rotate/snap back into place. Very frustrating!!!

Perhaps someone has some tricks to do this without removing the Torx screws that hold the headlight assembly in place???
It's been a while since I swapped mine out, but I do recall feeling like a contortionist, and I may have used a needle nose pliers.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Members

Anyone have any pics of how to change the front turn signal bulbs? I looked at the manual diagram and it doesn't make sense to me. Do you have undo the torx screws and remove the plastic cover or do you just have to reach your hand in there and unscrew the light housing?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bmwbonehead' post='370808' date='Dec 24 2006, 01:46 PM
just have to reach your hand in there and unscrew the light housing?
Yes, you just reach in ... it's a tight fit to get them out and it seems even tighter to get the new ones in ... but it does work to do it this way. Good luck.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='370832' date='Dec 24 2006, 05:12 PM
Yes, you just reach in ... it's a tight fit to get them out and it seems even tighter to get the new ones in ... but it does work to do it this way. Good luck.
Thanks tachyon. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Quick Reply: How to change front directional bulbs