DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HID Fogs, Interior LEDs, License Plate LEDs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='968242' date='Aug 7 2009, 01:00 AM
guys. sorry for slacking for the DIY for the headlights. I terribly apologize. When I install Scott's headlights, he will help me take pictures while I install so I can write up a FULL DIY. Latest next week I'll have it. One million apologies!!!
Yes that's the plan.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006

So for securing the ballasts for the hid fogs, we have to drill our own holes somewhere? Just double checking.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by Jello' post='1010452' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:07 PM
So for securing the ballasts for the hid fogs, we have to drill our own holes somewhere? Just double checking.
Several Options:

Option 1 - Leave ballasts inside the bumper loosely. Ballast are waterproof and shock resistant.
Option 2 - Zip tie the ballasts
Option 3 - Remove headlight and mount ballasts under headlight
Old 09-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I M sport suspension Active Steering M sport interior Navi Low ride sports

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='910243' date='Jun 13 2009, 02:30 AM
Pull the Plastic Piece Down Like So

Unscrew the Factory Bulb

The Strobe Free, Flicker Free, Error Free HID Ballast!!!!!!

Plug And Play Everything Together (Make sure positive to positive, negative to negative)

great DIY post... will be using this post when i get my HID'S...btw the tire on your front left rim is mounted backwards...it is a directional tire, and the direction of the tire should be facing forwards toward the front of the car...yours is facing towards the rear...if you look on the sidewall of you tire it should have an arrow on it. that should be facing forwards.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

that's not my car. it's a customer's car. i gotta tell him. thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Does anyone have pics of where they mounted their ballasts for the fogs? There isn't much room for me to look in there without taking off the bumper. HID work great. Just looking for mounting position for the ballasts.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport LCI Tails w/ V6 Cables MTEC 2.1 AE's 6K HID Xenon 6K HID Fogs HID Reverse Kit Front LED Turn signals LED Sidemarkers Eugene Eyebrow Mod Ricky's Brake effect Mod Fade on/off AE's and LCI Rods M5 cluster mod Interior/Trunk LED's License Plate LED's All Lighting parts thanks to John (Brabusw209amg)! All mods done by Simon (nomis_nehc) and Jorge (GS) LCI tails thanks to double s! V6 cables thanks to Bruce!

Just installed the LED interior kit as well as the LED's for the license plate. Couldnt be happier!! Followed this DIY and with a little help from John (if it doesnt work, flip the LED due to polarity), it was pretty easy.

Just wanted to say thanks to John for a great product, as well as great communication!

Anyone on the fence about this, get it! It looks awesome.

EDIT: Will post pictures when its night!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Silver A08. CF Kidney Grills, Vossen CV1's 20x9, 20x10.5, wrapped with Hankook Evo's, RPI exhaust, ACS trunk spoiler, K&N Filter, CF Front Splitter, Updated Lighting interior and out (HID's and LED's), rear LCI Conversion w/V6.1 cables (Ricky Effect).

Couldn't you just get a wide patch or strip of velcro from home depot and secure it to the inside of the bumper somewhere? I am not sure how heavy the ballast is, but I'm sure a wide good quality piece of velcro should do the trick, as well as be the least invasive. Just a thought.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport

I just got my HID Fogs and Angel Eyes yesterday from John!

Tonight I did the Fogs well, Fog. It was too hot in Texas so got one done before dehydration and heat exhaustion. So I have a tid bit to share about the ballast mounting.

If you look at the DIY and you see the lower half of the splash gaurd hanging down there are two more screws to undo and you can move it out of your way. With that out of the way I had a ton more room to play with. I was put double sided tape doubled up on the bottom of the bracket of the ballast and if you look up under the bumper you can secure it to the metal bumper inside the bumper. Great solid place to adhear the ballast with minimal rattle, shaking or any other issues. Tomorrow for the passanger side I will take a pic up in there to show everyone but its a solid spot to consider mounting your ballist!

Good Luck and may your HID's shine Brightly!!
Old 07-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i M54 2005 Alpine White Sport/Cold/Premiun Sound/Active Steering Navigation/PDC/sport seats/6 CD Changer

I am trying to get a nice pair of angel eyes. how they looking flyguy?? can you show a before and after pic? thanks!

Quick Reply: HID Fogs, Interior LEDs, License Plate LEDs DIY