DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Help required please to fit a 12v outlet in Glove Box

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride:
Thumbs up

Objective: To provide a power source to charge my iPOD while it's connected to the AuxIn.

My dealer will install the AuxIn next week, but refuses to provide power as it is not a BMW authorised and
approved modification - this I am very surprised at as I've never had a dealer refuse to allow a customer
spend their money before, but then this is my first Bimmer.

I posess an original set of Ham Fists and so what may appear to be a no-brainer for you guys can be a
distinct challenge for yours truely..

I have a May-05 build E61-525D and here's a couple of photo's of the glove box (sorry they're blurred).

Any advice will be greatfully received, please.

BTW - What's the square thing ringed in red anyone know?

Regards
Andy

Help required please to fit a 12v outlet in Glove Box-glovebox1.jpg
Help required please to fit a 12v outlet in Glove Box-glovebox2.jpg
Old 12-17-2005, 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

The socket you have circled is for a rechargeable pocket torch. It may be possible to take a supply from this.

I had the same problem with obtaining a power supply for Micro Road Pilot. In the end I tapped a supply from the rear power socket in the boot. The cables were then run under the back seats, along the edge sill. I terminated this underneath the dash. Over Christmas I am going to run a supply this way for an ipod.

Did you dealer give you a choice of aux in locations, and if so where?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Check out this thread and click on the link I have in post #4...
Old 12-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='212485' date='Dec 17 2005, 03:52 PM
Check out this thread and click on the link I have in post #4...
It seems that the 12v outlet underneath the glove box isn't installed on UK spec cars...

But, this item looks like it would solve my problem 100% perfectly. Thanks to RUDY for the tip.

My only question now is "Would it be compatible with my E61 as this isn't listed on their website ad?"

Some guidance would be cool before I flex my credit card and have them ship it across the pond...

Help required please to fit a 12v outlet in Glove Box-adapter.jpg
Old 12-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't say with 100% certainty but I'll go out on a limb and say I'm 97% sure that BMW uses two types of flashlights -- the older, white one and the newer, black one. I doubt they'd use a different socket for the E61 -- it's likely the same for all recent cars...
Old 12-17-2005, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Cool.

Just found the same item on eBay - cheaper to buy and much cheaper to ship, so I clicked on Buy-It-Now

Thanks guys (and RUDY in particular) for a neat solution which doesn't involve me scraping my knuckles
and shouting at "Her Indoors" when the going gets tricky.

Merry Non-denominational Winter Festival to you all.

Originally Posted by marksas' post='212473' date='Dec 17 2005, 02:55 PM
Not yet (as I didn't ask him...) but I'll let you know a location other than the glove box is feasible

I did think about the little cubby hole between the steering wheel and the A pillar.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d Sport, Mystic Blue, Dakota leather,Professional Navigation,BMW Assist, Blue Tooth Prep +telematics, 6 Disc Changer, ML/Alloy 8jx18", Graduated Tint windscreen, Auto-Dim Int + folding Mirrors, Comfort Seats - Electric, Through Load system inc Ski Bag, Bi Xenon Headlights plus washer system, Automatic Air Conditioning-Advanced, HiFi Speaker System, Fitted Floor Mats, clear bra

Before ordering the adapter be sure thiss is actually a power outlet. The socket as such does not have any pins. Your socket and mine appear to have just a blanking plate. I have had a look on my TIS disk but cannot find any info on the torch.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone: 2004 525i Jet Black, Built 03/04, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, Halogen to Euro Spec Bi-Xenons Retrofit, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Steptronic Breyton Spirit Reps 20x9F 20x10R - Nitto NT555 245/35/20F-275/30/20R, M5 Front Bumper, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Grills, 20% Tint, Euro Reflectors, Debadged, Aux Input, CIP v19.x

I use the BMW aux power adapter in my glove box to power my ipod...works perfectly. I was told by my SA that it's the same adapter used in older models...which works with the E60's.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by marksas' post='212473' date='Dec 17 2005, 02:55 PM
No choice - it went right in the glove box. However, the location seems perfect and the
mounting looks like it was already prepared for it...
Old 01-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 520D SE

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='212536' date='Dec 17 2005, 05:20 PM
Cool.

Just found the same item on eBay - cheaper to buy and much cheaper to ship, so I clicked on Buy-It-Now

Thanks guys (and RUDY in particular) for a neat solution which doesn't involve me scraping my knuckles
and shouting at "Her Indoors" when the going gets tricky.
Hope it worked ok as I've just ordered one from ebay to power my ipod. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Help required please to fit a 12v outlet in Glove Box