DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

HELP WITH M-TECH BODY KIT INSTALLATION

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

Hi,

I just purchased the M-Tech Body kit and waiting to have them painted, could someone tell me how to proceed with the installation? Is there any way to find some manual on removing the current part off the car and install the new one.
Tks in advanced.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

The installation kit is supposed to include instructions that detail which air ducts need replacing and how to fit the new bumpers
Old 03-21-2005, 12:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by the88saint' date='Mar 20 2005, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I just purchased the M-Tech Body kit and waiting to have them painted, could someone tell me how to proceed with the installation? Is there any way to find some manual on removing the current part off the car and install the new one.
Tks in advanced.
[snapback]104360[/snapback]

I just installed my kit two weeks ago and the instructions (although not perfect) are helpful. My parts advisor gave me the main installation instructions document with the following headings:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Parts and Accessories
Installation Instructions
M Aerodynamics Package Conversion
BMW 5 Series (E60/E61)</span>

There is a number on the document that does not appear to be a TIS number, but I think it is the Installation document number. This number is: <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>01 29 0 398 692</span> .

These instructions did not come with the kit, but when my parts advisor was initially checking the BMW Network for information on ordering the kit he had ran into these instruction and printed them out. For some reason I remember him saying that he had found it somewhere other than the TIS section. This is the main document with the installation procedure, however, at various points in the procedure it refers to some other TIS documents that are required in order to complete the removal/installation procedure. Here's a list of the other documents that you would need, and these are TIS documents that you could get from your dealer or some of the people here who have TIS subscriptions. I have a one year old TIS CD and some of the documents were either not on there or were older versions, so I asked my parts advisor to print out the new/updated ones. If you ask some of the members here who have access to updated TIS I am sure they would post the documents you need. Maybe they can even find the main Installaton instructions on the TIS system as well. Anyways here's the list of the documents and their TIS Numbers:

1. Removing front bumper trim........... 51 11 156
2. Removing Rear Bumper Trim........... 51 12 156
3. Replacing Rear Bumper Bracket....... 51 12 801
4. Rem/Inst. Rear Ctr. Bumper guide... 51 12 825
5. Rem/Inst. Side Trims (side skirts).... 51 71 447

These were the main TIS docs. that the Instructions refer to, but there are others as well which I have not listed here. One thing to keep in mind is that while these instructions/documents are very usefull, they are neither complete, nor 100% accurate. There are parts of it that are common sense that really require no instructions, there are parts that are not accurate, and there are also parts that are missing and you would have to figure out yourself. For example, number 4 in the above list shows how to remove and install the rear center bumper guide, but there was no need to remove it since there was no new one included with the kit and the original one worked just fine with the M kit bumper. On the other hand the rear bumper side carriers and the lower carrier do need to be replaced with the new ones included with the kit. Even though some of the new pieces may look the same as the old ones at first glance, they are not. The main purpose of these instructions for me were to tell me how things are supposed to come apart so that I did not yank on the wrong thing in the wrong direction, or without undoing all the fastners. In other words I could have done it without the instructions but it would have taken a lot longer because I would want to figure out how everything detatches and whether it was safe to pull or yank on things without braking any pieces ( and believe me, there was a number of places that you have to yank on things in order to remove things from the car). Also, when you are following the instructions watch out for certain steps that are model specific. For example, some steps ask you to replace a piece with the new one, but they specify on the side that this step is for the E61 only. At one point I thought that I was missing a piece that I had to replace, but realized it was E61 specific. Since, my kit was ordered with my VIN number that part was not even included in my kit. Another example would be when you are looking at the instruction on how to remove the front bumper. Since that TIS document is for bumper removal for all in the E60 family (and not M-Kit specific) there are steps for the E60 bumper and the M5 bumper, make sure to ignore the steps that don't apply.

By the way, if anyone wants to attempt the installation themselves please be aware that although it is not rocket science, you should be somewhat technically/mechanically proficient.

I took some pictures as I was dismanteling/installing the pieces. I would not consider the pictures as a DIY installation guide, but nevertheless some may find it interesting. I will try to post them in the next day or two. I will also take some pictures of the completed car with the kit installed and post them ASAP.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Senior Members

Looking forard to the pics rodybmw
Old 03-21-2005, 12:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

here's the pdf manual mentioned before with instructions.

I'm doing mine tonight as DIY. Will keep the forum up to date.

Good Luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
m_pakket.pdf (837.3 KB, 4765 views)
File Type: pdf
onderdelen_mpack.pdf (27.9 KB, 1871 views)
Old 03-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My M-it did NOT come with instructions.

I used a downloaded set which I found on this website.

My BMW dealer did the install, and it was a damned good thing too. The instructions provided were AWFUL. All they basically were was an inventory list of the parts in the boxes. No serious instructions on how to install them.

Thankfully the BMW dealer had other manuals in the shop which showed how to remove various parts necessary.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:20 AM

My BMW dealer did the install, and it was a damned good thing too.? The instructions provided were AWFUL.? All they basically were was an inventory list of the parts in the boxes.? No serious instructions on how to install them.

Thankfully the BMW dealer had other manuals in the shop which showed how to remove various parts necessary.
[snapback]104528[/snapback]
you have to use it in conjunction to the dealers TIS programme
Old 03-21-2005, 07:41 AM
answers

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 21 2005, 10:20 AM

My BMW dealer did the install, and it was a damned good thing too.? The instructions provided were AWFUL.? All they basically were was an inventory list of the parts in the boxes.? No serious instructions on how to install them.

[snapback]104528[/snapback]
How much did that install at the dealer cost (parts and labor)? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Install was $99 per hour. No parts, just the labor rate... which was reduced from $120 per hour. Unfortunately, it took much longer than expected so I ended up paying a lot.

The kit was imported from an outside dealer, but painted at BMW factory. Kit was like $2800, painted at BMW factory.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

I'm trying to do it myself, tks very much for the manual, and hope to see the picture here soon.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH M-TECH BODY KIT INSTALLATION